Round 3 National League - Diggle

Ronin

Wet is an understatement !

My first blow off shot ( fire forming rounds with a light load of H4831 sc) blew a primer, now I have never blown a primer in my life until that shoot!

I agree that a sensible call is made as to what is deemed dangerous, the last match at Diggle would have been equally as bad if we had not shot under cover, this was a good decision.

How about using the Gazebos to good effect if the weather forecast is as bad as it has been for future shoots? My understanding is they have already been purchased?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wet is an understatement !

My first blow off shot ( fire forming rounds with a light load of H4831 sc) blew a primer, now I have never blown a primer in my life until that shoot!

I agree that a sensible call is made as to what is deemed dangerous, the last match at Diggle would have been equally as bad if we had not shot under cover, this was a good decision.

How about using the Gazebos to good effect if the weather forecast is as bad as it has been for future shoots? My understanding is they have already been purchased?

+1 On the Gazebo idea

+1 on some form of protection.One of my desiderata in raising the 'safety' issue ,which Laurie has detailed so expertly,after reading about the monsoon sunshine at Diggle ( and elsewhere) was maybe for others to discuss whether some form of cover might be devised-shooting has to be safe,but also,preferably,reasonably comfortable (tacticool spartans have/enjoy a more challenging scenario,with mobility and non standard positions etc).

The rules seem to allow some sort of loading port cloth/plastic cover.Whilst safety inspection has to be maintained,is it beyond human ingenuity to devise some sort of transparent plastic basha/similar,tokeep rifle/ammo dry,and the shooter from shrinking?

Diggle's covered 1000y point may not always be practicable,but its good news to hear of some more flexible options being considered (gazebos) True spartans can always stand out in the elements,when they are not shooting,of course. But "keep your powder dry" was always sound advice.

Gbal

For the safety aspects alone, I think we should have the option of some kind of cover for the action and load area - several poeple over the years have made up effective covers - Greg Thompson had one I think made from fork lift door sheeting.

Im not convinced on the gazebo idea - what would happen at Stickledown - 60 plus firing points is alot of gazebos........

Simply stop firing and cover the rifle is a batter idea

If the weather so bad cancel - or at least stop the shoot until the worst abates.

It is F Class after all and while I like shooting under cover - the only reason we use Gazebos (at Blair for instance ) is to protect the target screen from the weather.

If the weather is so bad that rain is blowing into barrels leading to blown primers - stop the shoot.

If the weathers that bad - gazebos would help much anyway.

Nothings worth a blown rifle / injuries from that occurrence.

Same as nothings worth running loads at such high pressure that new brass is one use only....... :(

I was referring to Diggle only, as you say pretty impossible at Bisley, with competitor marking at Diggle postponing or cancelling will cause serious issues halfway through a match.

I am talking about serious rain not just a shower or two :D safety is the main issue and blowing primers is not my idea of fun, I am sure there will be complications however better that than what we have been experiencing recently, none of us are rain scared and actually sometimes you can pick up decent points if you are prepared.

I have an action cover and flap which works pretty well however it will not stop serious rain that is driving in (as per Laurie's post)

Oh I forgot to reply to you last post, yes the brass issue (once fired and Ratoned) was very painful and extremely expensive, chucking them was with extreme reluctance :mad:

I dont think there will be a definitive answer par-Se'

Each range we use for F Class (League) shoots has limitations to the use of covered firing points:

Blair fixed firing points and limited space on the FP and sometimes temperamental targetry - though the gazebos work, im surprised no one hasnt tripped over walking to and from points.

Diggle - covered firing points at 1000 - though as its set up for BR there is again limited space - no possibility of using covers at 800 or 900 due to the practicalities of moving them between the firing points - time would be wasted in setting them up and taking them down...

Bisley - 60 firing points - enough said.

I think we all accept we will get cold, wet, snowed on, and sometimes (rarely) be exposed to a bright ball of radiation in the sky - F Class is an out door sport.

I the weather turns and it becomes a safety issue with water ingress into barrels / chambers despite competitors making kit to prevent this happening the shooting should be suspended till the weather abates.

There really is no other practical way around it.

Competitors need to bring with them some kind of rain cover that abides by the rules and if it becomes so bad that these measures are failing shooting needs to cease till its safe to continue.

Cant really see any other way around it.

I recall a really heavy and very cold rain shower (storm) at the US Nationals in Raton when 100 people on points had to cease fire for ten minutes as we were literally soaked with a tropical and chilly storm - we just carried on once it stopped - no need for covered firing points.K

Keep it simple.

Just out of interest if I bought some clear 2mm pvc flexible curtain type material how bigger bit would be deemed as acceptable to drape over my rifle. Could it go from the back of the scope to level with the muzzle, can I add a piece of plastic pipe to the muzzle as a rain guard, there seems to be very little in the way of definate rules on this.

• 3 weeks later...

I am pleased to report that my pants have at last dried out completely from Round 3.

Having shoot at Diggle in a league shoot with an approaching thunder storm and accompanied lighting the issue is one of safety. Surely it is better to wait/postpone or abandon the competition rather than someone be injured or worse.

Safety is the responsibility of the RCO. It simply requires a consistent approach from the RCO's.

Long Range Challenge (Bisley) this weekend - forecast so far is rain and thunder…..

Great :lol:

Yep 2 weeks of glorious sun which ends on Thursday?

That will be every league shoot this year in the pissing rain, if I cannot perfect my wet weather kit this year then it will never happen!

See you at the weekend with a brolly!

Looking forwards to stretching the legs with the new scope Gary,

I may just wrap myself in cling film to keep dry :lol::lol::lol:

For Sale Steam Punk Gimp Suits guaranteed water proof

diver_03-c-03.jpg

£3000 plus £4-50 postage

My skin is waterproof so I should be ok lol

Can't wait see you their Guys

Grant did you still want the large gimp suit ?

Archived