Round 3 National League - Diggle

Ronin

Good luck to all those going to Diggle this weekend.

Cant make it due to other plans.

Will see you all at Bisley at the end of June.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait and looking forward to catching up with everyone again. We don't mind rain anyway as it never seems to do anything else this end of the country so what will be will be. I have got my fingers and toes crosses for something slightly better than last year's monsoon conditions ha ha ha.

Well, Des Parr (desperado) won Open - a very popular result.

Weather over the weekend was 50% rain which, combined with an east wind, was very difficult to shoot in.

A better forecast for the Egg Shoot tomorrow - desperado is staying over so maybe he will do the double!

Well done to Des !

Good luck to those at the Egg tomorrow, a few thousand miles away otherwise id have made it to both...

anyone know who won ftr?

Rick Carless with Adam Bagnall runner-up. Elwood (Ian Boxall) and 6mmBR (David Lloyd) on this forum had good results in Open too. As well as their being in the top few overall places on aggregate, David shot 99 in Match 3 this morning, can't remember the V-count.

We had a great weekend in great company, I think that everybody suffered rain some time over the weekend. Just got 12 hours to dry out before the egg shoot, or maybe achieve the 'triple' in getting wet on consecutive days!

Well done to Peter the goat herder for his stage win in F Open .

Well done to all the people who put on a good weekend for us all and did it with good humour and smile in shite weather again

Thank you again from soggy

Well, Des Parr (desperado) won Open - a very popular result.

Weather over the weekend was 50% rain which, combined with an east wind, was very difficult to shoot in.

A better forecast for the Egg Shoot tomorrow - desperado is staying over so maybe he will do the double!

well done des! is that your first league round win? and more importantly, what were you shooting with?

d

Awesome weekend, and well done to Des, a very popular winner. And let's not forget , Les Holgate, Vince and all the Range offices that had to endure the weather and make it all possible.

Yes well done Des and as Ian said thanks to all the Diggle crew for laying on a great weekend.

Shame about the rain but as ever we made the best of things.

As ever great company and laughs through out the weekend.

Cheers

Dave

well done des! is that your first league round win? and more importantly, what were you shooting with?

d

Cheers,

Yes, first win in 9 years of trying.....good grief...we marked the occasion with an all-night sess'....still recovering. :D

Used the 7wsm in the big Stolle Polar in a Tom Manners stock.

Load was 65.5grs of N165, lit by Russian KVB-7 primers, propelling a Berger Hybrid.

Very pleased with the Hybrids, only my 2nd time using them after 5 years of Target Boat Tails.

Top marks to Les Holgate and Vince for all their organising / range officering and to Ian Dixon for making the targets.

Sorry about the tiny font size

There was something else worth mentioning - in the last detail, I had 5 rounds that would not quite chamber, I didn't like to force them, so I extracted them and other used cartridges that were from an entirely different batch with much less neck tension - the result was a near disaster, the 5 replacement cartridges had a noticeably different point of impact and so lost me handful of points, while I got back into the swing of it.

The cases were all shoulder-bumped and neck-sized, so it was weird why those 5 all in a row seemed so different.

The lesson I suppose would be to cycle all finished cartridges - without the firing pin....but it was very odd why the problem occurred at all....

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. :unsure:

Hi des well done on the win well deserved great shooting same to ian and david

If that brass has been fired more times than the other lots it could be spring back work hardening if you bumping only one thou I try to bump 2 thou to save this happening and I anneal every shoot as the brass has no spring back as the brass get more times fired you will need to keep screwing die further down to save on the spring back brass memory

Is it fresh brass for that new barrel only don't mix brass between different barrels unless you use the same gunsmith

As for it going in tight you did the right thing by extracting them as the rounds most defiantly would of went high due to higher chamber pressure

Hope you get to the bottom of it

Try pulling the rounds then bumping them more and see if they chamber

G

i'd measure the 5 cases with a headspace comparator and see if they are long? maybe you forgot to size them? though to be honest, unless you're running super hot pressures, the bolt will still close quite happily if they are a few thou long.

it could be so many things in reality.

congrats again on your first win! a long time coming.....

i'd measure the 5 cases with a headspace comparator and see if they are long? maybe you forgot to size them? though to be honest, unless you're running super hot pressures, the bolt will still close quite happily if they are a few thou long.

it could be so many things in reality.

congrats again on your first win! a long time coming.....

Nowler,

I'd beg to differ - the WSM is a very 'stiff' case with a steepish shoulder - a couple of thou. and the bolt won't close.

Sometimes, the seating die can slacken off during re-sizing and the last few cases don't get a full re-size - this would be my guess as a possible answer to Des's issue.

hi vince

granted if the die ring had slackened off and he had slightly lengthened the cases in the process by sizing them without bumping/pushing back the shoulder, then yes i'd agree. but if he'd just forgotten to size those 5, they should still chamber, all be it with some resistance. or maybe i'm just stronger than some people? :mellow:

maybe des could give as some more insisght into what dies he's using and what his process is, and what the history of the brass is?

Another noticeable performance was by Joe West, who ended up with 4th place in F open. Not bad considering this is only Joe's 2nd season?

Also another new comer who did the training weekend this year was Craig Titmus, who also had a very credible shoot in F open over the weekend.

Another noticeable performance was by Joe West, who ended up with 4th place in F open. Not bad considering this is only Joe's 2nd season?

Also another new comer who did the training weekend this year was Craig Titmus, who also had a very credible shoot in F open over the weekend.

It's great news seeing so many new faces at league shoots. It certainly bodes well for the future of the sport.

Well done Joe and Craig.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Guys,

For info', I've been using a Redding shoulder bump die (standard one, not a small base one). I was keen not to over-work the brass, so it would seem plausible what Grant suggested - maybe it could do with sizing just a little more in case of spring-back,

I reckon the brass has been fired up to 3 times now, but I cannot guarantee that a few have slipped through with more firings, that is possible I suppose.

Tomorrow, I will measure and experiment with those cartridges and report back.

The whole batch will be sent off for annealing.

As for a foreign body, it did cross my mind - I had a towel across the action, a loose cotton thread might have got in the chamber.

Anyway, it didn't do the old blood pressure and nerves any good, finding 5 in a row like that and getting panicky wondering "are they all like this?'

Thanks for the suggestions.

"Desperado"

Archived