Low scope mounting

alijnclarke

I'm having a semi-custom remington 700 put together and I've just been down to the rfd to take a look at it. The stock is an AI AX short action chassis, with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 optic.

They've used Nightforce mounts, but the objective is sitting about 1-2mm off the front hand guard, so tight even that the scope's bikini cover won't go over the objective.

Will mounting the scope like that cause me any problems? It's slightly annoying that the cover won't go on, but i could live with that. What I couldn't live with is damaging an expensive optic..

Should I ask them to see if they can swap to high NF mounts?

Thanks

Yeah that's one of the first things i checked, the bolt cycles perfectly freely, the handle isn't even close to the turrets.

The main issue is the stock having a floating hand guard / rail around the barrel so it's that that's very close to the objective.

I'm having a semi-custom remington 700 put together and I've just been down to the rfd to take a look at it. The stock is an AI AX short action chassis, with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 optic.

They've used Nightforce mounts, but the objective is sitting about 1-2mm off the front hand guard, so tight even that the scope's bikini cover won't go over the objective.

Will mounting the scope like that cause me any problems? It's slightly annoying that the cover won't go on, but i could live with that. What I couldn't live with is damaging an expensive optic..

Should I ask them to see if they can swap to high NF mounts?

Thanks

If that was on a stock without an adjustable cheekpiece, I'd say leave as is - low is good and 1-2mm is plenty of clearance.

But with an adjustable cheekpiece 'lowness' is rendered far less important - I'd want to be able to get my scope cover on.

Are these covers a better bet than the Butler Creeks I keep breaking?

Where can I get them?

Gents they are a million miles better than butler creek - I got mine from USA, have a couple of spare ones too in stock, just in case I have a breakage (but haven't done). They are not cheap though, but only need to break a couple of butler creeks and your at their cost.

Not 100% sure but think Europtics stock them?

Sporting Services has them, very expensive though and you may need an adapter ring.

mein Gott - just tried to google these; only found midway uk at £46 for an objective cover - that still needs an adapter...........compared to a Butler Creek at £11; are you chaps really buying these?! (I've never actually broken a Butler Creek!)

mein Gott - just tried to google these; only found midway uk at £46 for an objective cover - that still needs an adapter...........compared to a Butler Creek at £11; are you chaps really buying these?! (I've never actually broken a Butler Creek!)

Maybe partly why the OP is changing the mounts instead!

Yup, ive got a set on my pm11, about £100 from SS. I went years without breaking a butler creek, then a few years ago quality dipped and i keep breaking them now. Stopped using them on my hunting rifles. My last old/good set went with my last 8x56 swaro and i should have kept them.

I must be ham-fisted. I've broken every Butler-Creek cover I've had.

I wish all scope makers would produce the equivalents of the Leupold alumina covers which screw onto the scope tubes and flip up. They are also pricey (I paid $40 each for the last set I bought), but they don't break !!

Went nearly 10 years with the old Butler Creeks and never had any issues, but Since the quality of the New Butler Creek took a nose dive a few years ago, then breakages are common with field use - maybe ok for range use?

Yes the Tenebraex are expensive, but for hard use in the field, price (within reason) doesn't come into it for me - its the inconvenience of Butler Creeks not now being "fit for purpose", but also the massive inconvenience of a cap breaking when I am busy at work using my rifles.

Believe the "tactical" Butler Creeks are better, but I went straight for the Tenebraex - nice to have nice....

Happy New Year...

Archived