.14 walker

Does anyone have any knowledge of this cartridge?

Im after something small but different to shoot crows out of trees beside my farmyard at around 80-90 yards away with total bullet disintegration.

I understand barrels, bullets etc etc will be a pain to get but has anyone got one?

I think maybe Bruce potts has?

Garry

Garry, can't help with .14 info but have you considered all the .17 options? Even .17 still requires extra care (I believe) in handloading + cleaning, compared with .20/.22 and bigger; I'd like a .17 Fireball though, great calibre by all accounts. But I'd start to worry about even tinier bullets! No doubt you've been through this yourself - but have you come across .17 VHA? It's the smallest-cased .17 I know of, it's fairly new, and it was developed by a couple of guys under the aegis of the Varmint Hunters Association - hence the name. It was written up in issue #77 of The Varmint Hunter (been searching in vain for my copy) and described how these guys necked the FN 5.7X28 case (very small, developed together with that really nifty FN P90 military PDW!) down to 17cal as a varminting round. It actually burns less powder than Hornet! It is flat shooting, and sounds like it would fit your requirements - with barrels etc much easier to get... I believe you can obtain dies from the USA, and even the brass is available.

Regards, Tony

Would a 17hmr or 17 hm2 not fit the bill?

Had 2 hmr's but the calibre does nothing for me. Price of ammo and inconsistency, going off adter cleaning etc.

I wuickly got fed up and therefore fancy something different.

Garry, can't help with .14 info but have you considered all the .17 options? Even .17 still requires extra care (I believe) in handloading + cleaning, compared with .20/.22 and bigger; I'd like a .17 Fireball though, great calibre by all accounts. But I'd start to worry about even tinier bullets

! No doubt you've been through this yourself - but have you come across .17 VHA? It's the smallest-cased .17 I know of, it's fairly new, and it was developed by a couple of guys under the aegis of the Varmint Hunters Association - hence the name. It was written up in issue #77 of The Varmint Hunter (been searching in vain for my copy) and described how these guys necked the FN 5.7X28 case (very small,

developed together with that really nifty FN P90 military PDW!) down to 17cal as a varminting round. It actually burns less powder than Hornet! It is flat shooting, and sounds like it would fit your requirements - with barrels etc much easier to get... I believe you can obtain dies from the USA, and even the brass is available.

Regards, Tony

Im going to apply for a .20 of some sort for a light short vermin gunn for carrying in the jeep, tractor with me.

Failing they grant me a .20 i will take a 17 rem but that is still too much gun for this purpose and I dont want a furball, I supose I could go single shot but id like mag fed.

Failing the .14 walker works out for the smaller gun again a 17 ackley hornett might suffice.

I just want something different. :)

....I just want something different. :)

Absolutely, Garry - that's why I recommended .17 VHA! I suspect no-one in the UK has one, so you'd be the first... It's a very straight-walled bottleneck case so should feed well from a mag.

Tony

.17 Squirrel is also a 'quirky' proposition, particularly if one wishes to put their reloading/case forming skills to practice :)

See I just bought Bruce potts book called 'Sporting rifles' and its a bad bad book! Dont buy it! It puts too many ideas in youre head!

The book cost me £20 but it will end up costing me much more! Too many pictures of nice custom rifles in ! :)

Im after something small but different to shoot crows out of trees beside my farmyard at around 80-90 yards away with total bullet disintegration.

I understand barrels, bullets etc etc will be a pain to get but has anyone got one?

Garry

GARRY- LOOK ON GUNTRADER!my 14/221 walker is for sale all you need to get going including dies rod,bore guide,bulletts ,powder.you will have to scroll down the list because its listed in near the 50 cal stuff -god knows why.if you want any info you can ring me i will pm you my number.

Hi Garry,

'Cartridges of the World' had a chapter on the sub-calibres a few years ago, I will try and find my copy if it is of any use. I seem to recall bore sizes down to .12 and even .10! Not sure about the practicality but just like kittens and puppies they are cute when small,

Cheers

Alan

Garry, further to my words yesterday about trying the 17 VHA cartridge. It's always a red letter day when the latest Varmint Hunter magazine drops through the letterbox, and that's today. The first thing I see is a 2-page feature on p11 by John Markwell entitled "The 17 VHA - A Field Evaluation". Haven't read it in detail yet but I notice that I got it wrong (memory played me false) about the parent round: it's not based on that little FN job but on the 4.6x30 HK sub-gun round, slightly reformed. Can't recall if you're a VHA member but I'd be happy to photocopy the piece for you. Brief selective quote:

"Report of the cartridge is mild, as is recoil, which makes spotting your own hits or misses easy. Terminal performance of the 20-grain V-Max is pretty spectacular. Longest laser ranged shot was 268 yards. Past that, the wind played hell with the little bullets..."

Great stuff! I want one myself.

Tony

I am reading this assuming you have a good backstop behing the trees?

Of course! I am a big boy now!

I am shooting from the top of a silo pit full of silage which is around 25 foot high when full and the yard is on higher ground than the trees so all is safe and on my own land.

Garry, further to my words yesterday about trying the 17 VHA cartridge. It's always a red letter day when the latest Varmint Hunter magazine drops through the letterbox, and that's today. The first thing I see is a 2-page feature on p11 by John Markwell entitled "The 17 VHA - A Field Evaluation". Haven't read it in detail yet but I notice that I got it wrong (memory played me false) about the parent round:

it's not based on that little FN job but on the 4.6x30 HK sub-gun round, slightly reformed. Can't recall if you're a VHA member but I'd be happy to photocopy the piece for you. Brief selective quote:

"Report of the cartridge is mild, as is recoil, which makes spotting your own hits or misses easy. Terminal

performance of the 20-grain V-Max is pretty spectacular. Longest laser ranged shot was 268 yards. Past that, the wind played hell with the little bullets..."

Great stuff! I want one myself.

Tony

Tony,

I do not subscribe to that magazine although I might look into subscribing to see what its like. I recently stopped my subscription of sporting rifle magazine as it was getting very repetitive and there is alot of stuff on boar shooting etc which Im not interested in. I may lift a copy now and again off the shelf if it interests me but a good magazine which keeps you wanting to read is hard to get.

Back to topic, if it isnt any trouble yes I would like a copy of the article please as I suspect a small secenteen may be more suitable and easier to source all of the equipent for.

Tony,

I do not subscribe to that magazine although I might look into subscribing to see what its like. I recently stopped my subscription of sporting rifle magazine as it was getting very repetitive and there is alot of stuff on boar shooting etc which Im not interested in. I may lift a copy now and again off the shelf if it interests me but a good magazine which keeps you wanting to read is hard to get.

Garry, PM sent. I know what you mean about regular shooting magazines - I haven't bought one for years, dead boring and hardly ever anything to do with varmint hunting, far too much shotgun stuff, air rifles too. The Varmint Hunter is different! Just had to tear myself away from exploring this latest issue...

Tony

Of course! I am a big boy now!

I am shooting from the top of a silo pit full of silage which is around 25 foot high when full and the yard is on higher ground than the trees so all is safe and on my own land.

Glad to hear it! I have a 17 Fireball, would be good choice of calibre for you.

Gary,

It's nice to be different but feeding a 'funny' rifle could be a pain. Some of the smaller 17's or 20's would fit your bill, 20K hornet, neat small case, bullet not too fiddly to handle and off the shelf. Even a regulat 22K Hornet perhaps? Or if the Hornat.

At 70-80 yards a 32-20 lever gun would work B)

Terry

Gary,

It's nice to be different but feeding a 'funny' rifle could be a pain. Some of the smaller 17's or 20's would fit your bill, 20K hornet, neat small case, bullet not too fiddly to handle and off the shelf. Even a regulat 22K Hornet perhaps? Or if the Hornat.

At 70-80 yards a 32-20 lever gun would work B)

Terry

Terry,

I fear you may be right! I think I will stick to a 17 of some description, I like the sound of an ackley hornett!

I think it would fit the bill just nice!

Seems to be a very efficient case compared to the fireball.

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

I am aware of a guy up North who built a 14 Fireball on a Remmy action from memory, think its now on Guntrader. He gets bored easily once a project is completed. PM me for details.

Cant see a total disintigration as you have a solid base on all bullets. Am meaning to conduct some experiments with 17AH when I get a mo to see what comes out the far side lead wise, shoot a dead corpse.

A

I am aware of a guy up North who built a 14 Fireball on a Remmy action from memory, think its now on Guntrader. He gets bored easily once a project is completed. PM me for details.

Cant see a total disintigration as you have a solid base on all bullets. Am meaning to conduct some experiments with 17AH when I get a mo to see what comes out the far side lead wise, shoot a dead corpse.

A

A-that rifle is the one i bought off ken b- its now sold :) i put it up for sale because i didnt use it.

Garry

i'd think that 20g Vmax at 4200 f/s would fit the bill shot from a 17 Rem.

A-that rifle is the one i bought off ken b- its now sold :) i put it up for sale because i didnt use it.

Real good bloke is our Ken.

So how did you get on with his 14FB??.

A

Archived