Which .22 s/sonic or target ammo?

TonyH

Very out of touch with rimfire ammo though in the past I've done careful trials with my old but accurate bolt gun (advertising it for sale here soon). I'm picking up a s/h Ruger 10/22 next week, seemed to have reasonably promising accuracy at 100 yards when I tested it. I'm used to Lapua Super Club in my old rifle but this is target stuff, and it might not work so well in the sporter chamber of the Ruger. What subsonic ammo, including target stuff, have people found to work well in the Ruger? I'd like to try a few types.

Thanks, Tony

ps My old rifle is a Winchester 52B that's had the original 28" bull barrel cut down to 16" and threaded for a mod. Shoots extremely well, letting it go only because I fancy a change. I'll advertise it properly but if anyone's interested in the meantime, PM me - going cheap...

Tony,

Found the eley subs wnt will in my 10/22 when I had it.

Re. target stuff. The SK ammo is Lapua made under license and seems to be working well - Blue Fox has some in.

Terry

Tony,

Found the eley subs wnt will in my 10/22 when I had it.

Re. target stuff. The SK ammo is Lapua made under license and seems to be working well - Blue Fox has some in.

Terry

Thanks Terry - wiil try Eley, and haven't heard of SK but I might call in at Blue Fox on my way to Parracombe on Wednesday, nice chap young James. Thanks too to Mash67, duly noted re CCI. Best "sporter" ammo (as opposed to target) tested in my Winchester is RWS, will try that too.

TonyH

What ever you buy it needs to be 'clean', ie no excess grease to gum your chamber up.

lapua is good but very expensive, Eley is my favorite, works well, I have tried some CCI, they are clean for sure and reasonably accurate. Just depends which one your rifle likes best, aviod Winchester and Magtech, good stoppers yes but far to much grease.

A

Sk is indeed lapua, made under license in Germany. The SK and SK match are truly excellent rounds.They have a very "fluid" lubricant that is like water in summer, and not much stiffer in winter. A good all round bullet, that takes a long time to foul a chamber, if at all.

We stopped selling anything but tenex and match from Eley a long time ago. The rest of the range is overpriced inaccurate rubbish. The subsonic even says bolt action only now. CCI has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. A good cheap round is their "standard" in the blue box.

I use nothing but mini-mag for competition, whilst its not the last word in accurate rounds, its very reliable indeed, and that is the be all, and end all at national level.

RWS [ geco ] is reasonable, but we use it at the local rimfire club, as club ammo, and have had a lot of misfire,s , squibs etc with it, in various guns.

Try 50 of a selection Tony, all brands vary in quality on a regular basis. Rimfire ammo is the hardest of the lot to produce consistantly.

We tend to buy in, governed by what is shooting well, and leave the stuff that isn't until the qc is sorted again. Eley have these problems regularly, that is why top class shooters book a day on eley,s range, and batch test. When they get a good batch, they buy 10,000 from it. We have several customers who do this, and get the batch shipped to us for storage.

Dave, Geoff, Terry et al, thanks for the advice. My initial tests are not very precise but the best groups I got at 100 yards were with CCI Subsonic, which bears out the widespread recommendation of this brand; I didn't test SK since, when I was at Blue Fox yesterday, James told me the SK he had was essentially the same as Lapua Super Club which I already had. The Lapua has proved the best performer in my old Winchester target rifle, but in the 10/22's sporter chamber it goes all over the place, and the CCI was distinctly better. Some Winchester subsonic, and the RWS equivalent, also gave only mediocre groups.

But I'll strip this Ruger for a thorough clean then re-test with different ammo types, and report back.

Thanks again for the advice - Tony

Out of my Sako Finnfire Varmint and my Anschutz 1417XIV the best groups have happened with Eley Subs and Eley standard. I have been winning my county sporting rifle competition for the last 4 years with Eley Standard (now called Sport) and countless bunnies and foxes have succumbed to Eley Subs. Never had much luck with SK or Lapua and would not touch RWS or Remington. CCI I cannot find around here (but then, I have not been looking either).Tenex and Match are great, but not for what I do and I don't think I would win more if I was usign them :)

best wishes,

Finman

Out of my Sako Finnfire Varmint and my Anschutz 1417XIV the best groups have happened with Eley Subs and Eley standard. I have been winning my county sporting rifle competition for the last 4 years with Eley Standard (now called Sport) and countless bunnies and foxes have succumbed to Eley Subs. Never had much luck with SK or Lapua and would not touch RWS or Remington. CCI I cannot find around here (but then, I have not been looking either).Tenex and Match are great, but not for what I do and I don't think I would win more if I was usign them :)

best wishes,

Finman

Interesting, thanks. I wondered specifically how various ammo brands were known to cycle through the 10/22, though mine is an unusual beast: it's had an Anschutz medium-heavy barrel grafted on, custom chambered at somewhere in between a target chamber and a standard (less tight) sporter chamber. As I say, so far I've found the most promising results with CCI subsonic; but perhaps I should try such brands as Eley as well, though with my old target-type Winchester I found Eley gave only mediocre quality.

Regards, Tony

Dave, Geoff, Terry et al, thanks for the advice. My initial tests are not very precise but the best groups I got at 100 yards were with CCI Subsonic, which bears out the widespread recommendation of this brand; I didn't test SK since, when I was at Blue Fox yesterday, James told me the SK he had was essentially the same as Lapua Super Club which I already had. The Lapua has proved the best performer in my old Winchester target rifle, but in the 10/22's sporter chamber it goes all over the place, and the CCI was distinctly better. Some Winchester subsonic, and the RWS equivalent, also gave only mediocre groups.

But I'll strip this Ruger for a thorough clean then re-test with different ammo types, and report back.

Thanks again for the advice - Tony

I would have said that 100 yards is a bit far to stretch a subsonic round in a semi no matter how good a rifle. I rarely used to shoot rabbits at much over 75 yards with my semi custom 10/22s, nothing worse than a badly shot rabbit dragging itself off but I appreciate that you are just range testing at 100 and not rabbit shooting. I used to test at 50 yards.

A

I would have said that 100 yards is a bit far to stretch a subsonic round in a semi no matter how good a rifle. I rarely used to shoot rabbits at much over 75 yards with my semi custom 10/22s, nothing worse than a badly shot rabbit dragging itself off but I appreciate that you are just range testing at 10 and not rabbit shooting. I used to test at 50 yards.

A

I agree entirely, G! With my old Winchester, and mounts that put the scope axis approx 1.75" above the bore, I calculated optimum zero at 55 yards for use with subsonic, so I could aim dead on out to about 60+ which I regarded as a sensible maximum with this ammo. With the interesting CCI CB Longs, which I chrono'd at between 700 and 800fps (can't recall exact figure), optimum zero would be even less maybe around 45 yards tops. Not sure that stuff would cycle a semi-auto though.

Regards, Tony

I agree entirely, G! With my old Winchester, and mounts that put the scope axis approx 1.75" above the bore, I calculated optimum zero at 55 yards for use with subsonic, so I could aim dead on out to about 60+ which I regarded as a sensible maximum with this ammo. With the interesting CCI CB Longs, which I chrono'd at between 700 and 800fps (can't recall exact figure), optimum zero would be even less maybe around 45 yards tops. Not sure that stuff would cycle a semi-auto though.

Regards, Tony

Probably not.

A

Archived