Trying to source Norma 7x57 brass

Elwood

I need to find some Norma 7x57 cases, just the cases not loaded ammo.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? as this isn't your typical brass sitting on the shelf.

Midway UK don't have any until early 2011 :huh:

Norman Clark and Reloading solutions are the usual suspects.

I don't know who imports Norma in this country but if you can find out then that may be a source.

Cheers

Dave

I tracked some RWS 7x57 brass down at RUAG, excellent service Ian.

If you want 100 once fired RWS I have them just over the Hill from you when I get back in a week or two.

RL Solutions had some Norma up to about 6 weeks ago when I enquired.

Best

Peter

PS : RWS brass are Free to collector or will deliver for the price of a cuppa.

Thanks Pete and Dave.

Pete you're a star, I now need to do a post asking if I can borrow a 7x57 FL die :)

The 7x57 brass is going to be made into 6mm Crusader (basically a 6mm Rem AI) so I need brass that is FL sized. This is only half of the faffle, as I then need to borrow/buy a 6.5x284 FL die and run the 7x57 through it, before finally finishing it off in the 6mm Crusader FL die, oh and then I have to fire form it.

Alternatively I could just use Win 6mm Rem brass and just fire form it, only problem being I can't track any down at the moment and the general opinion is that the Norma brass holds up better.

All good fun :blush:

Thanks Pete and Dave.

Pete you're a star, I now need to do a post asking if I can borrow a 7x57 FL die :)

The 7x57 brass is going to be made into 6mm Crusader (basically a 6mm Rem AI) so I need brass that is FL sized. This is only half of the faffle, as I then need to borrow/buy a 6.5x284 FL die and run the 7x57 through it, before finally finishing it off in the 6mm Crusader FL die, oh and then I have to fire form it.

Alternatively I could just use Win 6mm Rem brass and just fire form it, only problem being I can't track any down at the moment and the general opinion is that the Norma brass holds up better.

All good fun :blush:

Oh all right then...... You can have a shot of the brand new, shiny Redding 7x57 FL dies at the same time....

LMAO

Wont be back for a week or two, but I'll give you shout to catch you between drives

Best

P

I tracked some RWS 7x57 brass down at RUAG, excellent service Ian.

If you want 100 once fired RWS I have them just over the Hill from you when I get back in a week or two.

RL Solutions had some Norma up to about 6 weeks ago when I enquired.

Best

Peter

PS : RWS brass are Free to collector or will deliver for the price of a cuppa.

Hi there,

just a small point to notice: the RWS 7x57 will not fit a size 2 shell holder in the reloading press, as they are thicker than standard (e.g. Norma etc). You will need a size 3, similar to what you would use had you been reloading a 6.5x55. I have been shooting a 7x57 for the last year or so and I would very much like to find some RWS cases, if anyone can point me to the right direction I would be grateful. The internet does not help to find a supplier of these (or I am thick and cannot order it the right command!). So far I have been using Norma brass which is very good indeed.

best wishes,

Finman

Hi there,

just a small point to notice: the RWS 7x57 will not fit a size 2 shell holder in the reloading press, as they are thicker than standard (e.g. Norma etc). You will need a size 3, similar to what you would use had you been reloading a 6.5x55. I have been shooting a 7x57 for the last year or so and I would very much like to find some RWS cases, if anyone can point me to the right direction I would be grateful. The internet does not help to find a supplier of these (or I am thick and cannot order it the right command!). So far I have been using Norma brass which is very good indeed.

best wishes,

Finman

Noted your comment, fortunately I have solved the problem with the help of Reloading Solutions.

RUAG Ammotec are the importers of RWS components, and upon asking the German Factory directly, they turned up trumps, bringing in 200 pcs in about 3 weeks as I recall.

They worked out a little less expensive than Norma too. Not by much , but enough for a beer!

Best

Peter

Pete,why did you go for the RWS over the Norma?

Also thanks for the generous offer of the use of the die and the cases, but I think it may be better for me to use new brass, new rifle, new brass etc, but give me a call when you're back and we can catch up over a cuppa or two.

Ian

Quite simple really, several many years ago I had a Ruger 77 Mk11 in 7 x57, and the "Man from Ballindalloch" recommended me to use RWS due to Lapua in 7x57 being non existant. I used the RWS brass for as long as I kept the rifle, and never had any problems with it, and no damaged cases or split necks when it arrived, in contrast to Win and RP brass that I d used previously. So, I'll stick with it for the new arrival, which may not be too far away.

Further I've sort of fallen out of love with Norma brass with the 7-08, it seems to be 'softer' and suffers from sloppy primer pockets after a couple of loadings, and as you know I almost never stoke loads up to anywhere close to the max book levels, preferring accuracy over velocity at the generally closer ranges that I stalk at.

Now, I know that the perceived internet wisdom is that Nosler brass is manufactured by Norma, but the results from the .260 that uses Nosler brass don't entirely support that theory. The Nosler brass is far superior IMHO and really not that much more in cost. Thats slightly off the point, but maybe explains why I didnt go for Norma again.

I'll give you a call when I get back, and learn more about your new project.

Best

Peter

Ian

I have Redding Comp dies in 6.5x284 (NECK Die, with Bump die and seater) - largest bushing is .290, smallest (in 6.5mm neck) I have is .286"

If this helps just ask, I am due to do a load of rounds for the impending hind season so wont be using for a while after ive done that anyway.

I could,,,,,, if needed make you a custom bushing for the 6.5x284 die to get you to a 6mm neck size?

Id need the right dimension, so get your hammer and string out :lol:

Only if you ask nicely :D

Pete,why did you go for the RWS over the Norma?

Also thanks for the generous offer of the use of the die and the cases, but I think it may be better for me to use new brass, new rifle, new brass etc, but give me a call when you're back and we can catch up over a cuppa or two.

Hi there,

I'd second the opinions that Peter voiced in his response with regard to the Norma brass, it is my experience with it too: loose primer pockets after 2-3 loadings (and I don't shoot them 'hot'). Comparing them with a few RWS that I managed to scrounge off a friend and even Remington and the superb PMP ones from sef efrika, quickly shows that they are indeed thinner than the aforementioned.

Peter, if Elwood is refusing the offer of the once-fired cases, can I (cheekily) claim them? PM for details not to highjack the thread, if interested :)

best wishes,

Finman

Andy, thanks for the offer of the die/bushing.

I have since found out that the best way of necking down 7x57 brass is to run it through a 257 Roberts full length die with the expander removed and then run through a 6mm Rem full die, then neck turn it and fire form it. Reloading solutions have Norma brass in 7x57 and could get me both the dies, all this would have come to just over £160.

In the end I opted for 6mm Rem Winchester brass which just needs to be fire formed (and £100 cheaper), if it isn't as accurate as I think it should be I will go down the 7x57 route at a later date.

Andy, thanks for the offer of the die/bushing.

I have since found out that the best way of necking down 7x57 brass is to run it through a 257 Roberts full length die with the expander removed and then run through a 6mm Rem full die, then neck turn it and fire form it. Reloading solutions have Norma brass in 7x57 and could get me both the dies, all this would have come to just over £160.

In the end I opted for 6mm Rem Winchester brass which just needs to be fire formed (and £100 cheaper), if it isn't as accurate as I think it should be I will go down the 7x57 route at a later date.

Reading up last night on the Crusader, people seemed to have problems with loose primer pockets quite quickly with Norma brass so perhaps the Winchester may be the better option.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

ELWOOD DONT BOTHER GOING DOWN THE 7X57 RWS OR NORMA BRASS LINE BEEN THERE AND DONE IT AND IT IS NOT WORTH THE HASSEL,FOR 6MM REM AI BRASS. IAM GOING TO USE FACTORY FEDERAL 6MM REM AND JUST FIREFORM FOR MY 6MMAI ALL THE BEST CARIM

ELWOOD DONT BOTHER GOING DOWN THE 7X57 RWS OR NORMA BRASS LINE BEEN THERE AND DONE IT AND IT IS NOT WORTH THE HASSEL,FOR 6MM REM AI BRASS. IAM GOING TO USE FACTORY FEDERAL 6MM REM AND JUST FIREFORM FOR MY 6MMAI ALL THE BEST CARIM

Thanks Carim, any particular reason for not using the RWS/Norma brass, you mention you had hassle, could you elaborate on that a little?

Do you find the federal brass to be better than the Win/Rem brass?

Elwood the hassel was sourcing norma brass and then the proccess of necking down /neck turning to make 6mm rem cases to then fireform into ackley form. Also i found the norma to be no more accurate than federal cases ,have no experiance with the other brands you mention,but would assume will all give resonable accurracy . cheers Carim

Archived