who shoots a 260 rem??

Snowz

Hey foxy

I shoot .260 rem, I have always been a .308 man with a bit of AR15 thrown in for good measure, I have never been one for messing about with other calibres but the .260 definately got my attention after it came out.

About 18 months ago I got Mark Bradley to but an Obermeyer 5R barrel on my Remy action and boy does it shoot.

I use it regualrly for and anything form 100 to 900/1000yards, have shot it to 1150yds max so far, also for deer stalking on reds, fallow, roe and muntjac-all with good results.

I like the caliber alot and it does do all jobs particularly well.

There is a .260 comparison test on here somewhere against 6.5mm 47 etc it will be worth tracking down-or one of the other guys might point you at it.

There is one down side--brass

I use Remington factory brass the i have picked up in the US mostly but .243 necked up seems to be the way to go.

Jump in and get a .260 you won't be disappointed if there is any difference between it and the other calibers then who cares--just make sure you have some fun mastering it.

Reecy

From what I have read on Uk & US forums the 260 does look like a great all rounder, as for cases I believe necking up 243 brass is better than necking down 308. I will either neck up or just buy the expensive 260 brass. I did put In For 6.5x55 as a separate stalking rifle an keep my 223 for foxing and fun but due to money and other circumstances I think I'd swap my 223 for the 260 and have one rifle for all my shooting needs vermin fox deer and long range

Atb Richard

From what I have read on Uk & US forums the 260 does look like a great all rounder, as for cases I believe necking up 243 brass is better than necking down 308. I will either neck up or just buy the expensive 260 brass. I did put In For 6.5x55 as a separate stalking rifle an keep my 223 for foxing and fun but due to money and other circumstances I think I'd swap my 223 for the 260 and have one rifle for all my shooting needs vermin fox deer and long range

Atb Richard

i have had a 260 built on a remy for the past 4 years great rifle and caliber wont be disapointed if you get one

Whilst this might at first seem feasible it can soon turns into a bit of a nightmare.

By the time you have gone thru all the various load development work for the various shooting needs, spent some practice time and shot a few paper targets and gongs at various ranges whilst having a bit of a play. You can suddenly find you up into a 1500-2000 round count and you've only had the rifle 12-15 months. About half your barrel life depending on how hot you've been running.

If like me you quite like a bit of long range plinking during the close season its surprising how quick your round counts starts to go up

There was a good article on "Barrel "Depreciation" and the True Cost of Shooting" on AccurateShooter recently.

i take into account barrel life like i do the cost of reloading, thats why i want one rifle, one lot of reloading and save ready for the next barrel lol

Interesting thread!!!

the 260 does sound like a sweetie!!! ;);)

This is just my personal opinion , want to use the same bullet from target / varmint / fox and deer!!!! = A-max

I ran the 140 grainer in the 6.5-284 and its a great performer as in accuracy and performance on game!!! ( have ran the 105s in 243 Ackley and now the 155s in a 308 with the same great performance!! )

The choice is yours!!! ;);)

Thanks and all the best....

RAY........................

Interesting thread!!!

the 260 does sound like a sweetie!!! ;);)

This is just my personal opinion , want to use the same bullet from target / varmint / fox and deer!!!! = A-max

I ran the 140 grainer in the 6.5-284 and its a great performer as in accuracy and performance on game!!! ( have ran the 105s in 243 Ackley and now the 155s in a 308 with the same great performance!! )

The choice is yours!!! ;);)

Thanks and all the best....

RAY........................

Hi Ray,

was down your way last week and popped in on the patient (Martin) he was going to sort out a shoot while i was down but the other half wouldn't let me else we would of probably met up.

Just looking at the 140 Bergers now as Mr B off uklr said to try them just got to sort out which powder to use

will keep my progress updated on the 260 as it doesn't seem to have much reviews or info here in the UK

From what I have gleaned off of many websites is that the .260 is the way forward. I am a tight yorkshire man at heart as has already been pointed out on this website.

The .260 allows the use of quality brass through FL sizing lapua .243 brass same as I now do with my 7-08 or use of norma or remington .260. Both optins are much cheaper than the 6.5x47 brass.

The .260 allows the use of 140 grainers and used the large primers which are better imho in remmy clones unless the firing pins are bushed. As I have found in my Lawton .20 Tactical.

When I have found the funds I will be sourcing a .260 barrel. I also want a .308 because they are cheap to run. However the .260 will be more tolerable of a poor shot like myself!!!

P.s

please keep this thread going cos its a giggle.....

• 2 months later...

Seems like Lapua may have learned Yorkshire ... From a thread on 6mmbr the Head Honcho at Lapua USA has said that 260 Rem cases could well be in the next Lapua catalog to be released at their Shot Show ....

Seems they can also be used for forming 6.5 Creedmores (6.5x49??) ... looks like they're covering all bases ... wonder how cheap they'll be?

I think the cimparison you mention is on Demigodllc.com?? possibly

• 2 weeks later...
Ackleyizing the 260 allows you to drive the 140-class bullets over 100 fps faster, to 2940+ fps. That velocity rivals what 6.5-284s deliver, at least when tuned for best accuracy. This article (referenced below) explains how Chris fire-forms his brass to create 260 Ackley Improved cases. He covers two forming methods--one with bullets and one without projectiles.

My number one light hunting rifle is a .260 Model 70 custom.

I ran out of money when it came time to buy the stock so I acquired an old take off stock from a winchester and had the riflesmith fit a forepiece to the front to make it look like an old model 70 deluxe. Then the stock was sanded and finished with oil. Works really well.

Now my joke is that the .260 (ne' 6.5-08) fixes everything wrong with the .308 or 7.62 Nato. In fact it follows that the 6.5-08AI fixes everything wrong with the .260. This is the wild cat that quite a number of marksman here were going to a few years back. It wrings enough additional performance out of the .260 Remington to make it worthwhile. You form it by firing the .260 in your rifle, then running the brass through the .260AI dies. It is a hand loading proposition but it is an outstanding long range performer and does well with heavy match bullets.

However the best advice I can give when selecting your caliber is to look at the bullet first. Before the likes of Berger started making high G1 bullets for the 7mm WSM and the heavy 7 magnums, the best long range bullet was the 6.5 139 Lapua. Some of the botique bullet manufacturers also made excellent bullets. Study bullets 1 or 2 mm around you desired caliber. Determine the kind of MV you are looking for (low, medium, or high) and then select a caliber that will accomplish this. Also look at published performance in terms of accuracy. It turns out that virtually anything based on .308 case works really well. I might seriously consider the 7-08 if making that decision today, although I went with the 7 WSM for a little more muzzle velocity.

For Alaska rifle in light of the above, I rebarreled my .340 Weatherby Mark V to .330 Dakota, a much better performer in terms of accuracy.

Quite a bit of work has been done to develop a low cost method of fireforming .260 brass.

.260 Remington brass is on the left. Fireformed 6.5-.308AI brass is on right.

ts260shellsx400.jpg

The article is shown here:

.260AI forming More on .260AI

Seems like Lapua may have learned Yorkshire ... From a thread on 6mmbr the Head Honcho at Lapua USA has said that 260 Rem cases could well be in the next Lapua catalog to be released at their Shot Show ....

Seems they can also be used for forming 6.5 Creedmores (6.5x49??) ... looks like they're covering all bases ... wonder how cheap they'll be? [Jon]

Yes,

Lapua has added .260 Rem to its trade catalogue as an upcoming item - to be formally launched at the SHOT Show. Hannams are aware of it, but have no details of price or delivery availability yet.

Be aware though that .260R has become very, very big in the USA in its own right and add to that the huge number of shooters over there who love the 6.5mm Hornady Creedmoor but want better brass, and the .260R makes a good reforming base case for this number. So, there's going to be a lot of demand over there and one helluva big clamour for supply from Lapua USA.

I'd expect it to be very high quality indeed in the light of other recent new intro Lapua brass - .308W 'Palma', 6.5X47L, and .22-250 Rem the last of which is the most consistent out of the box cases I've seen yet apart from Lapua .220 Russian. However, in the light of these recent introductions I expect it to be expensive (and with VAT at 20% too of course by the time it gets here and goes on sale).

The .260 is a very nice light hunting rifle. Early 1950s vintage Model 70 shown with Leupold assembled Leica variable and 6 groove lilja fluted barrel 24" long.

260M70bjpg.jpg

Shown here in the rest of my light hunting battery, the .260 is shown between .330 Dakota and .204 Ruger. The .330 Dakota formerly a .340 Weatherby has 3 groove Lilja and is a very accurate rifle suitable for anything on the North American Continent. Here with 225 grain Hornady SST.

HuntingRounds.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In fact it follows that the 6.5-08AI fixes everything wrong with the .260.

Hmmm...I think that is essentially the 6.5 Creedmoor. 30^ shoulder and .308 necked down to 6.5mm.

As to poor 6.5C brass, I know Hornady had one bad run, but all in all, it's much better than the standard 260R brass...

Just saying...

• 1 month later...

I shoot a riflecraft built 260 rem , i love it! i had it built to shoot the 140 amax and i've developed a load of 47g of n560 giving me 2800 fps my only gripe is that i cannot get it to shoot any factory well, i can get an inch but thats it with factory , however feed it handloads and my god will it shoot and as i'm primarily a handloader it's not a problem.

get one you won't look back.

Archived