Leupold mk 4 spotting scope

Whilst wiping my arse on this months gunmart, i spotted york guns have a few s/h mk 4 leupold spotting scopes with tripod and cover for £800 ! Thats a bargain, they must be twice that new now. We have had a lot of the s/h scopes , rings etc, and all have been in vgc.

Pity i,m bloody skint at the mo.

• 4 weeks later...

called in to york guns this morning for some 12g slug and ended up buying one of the affor mentioned spotting scopes,oh and a kestrel 4000 wind meter ,er and a pair of leupold 10x50 tactical binos ,all of them are brand new un opend and all at less than half price , dave at YG told me they have started selling the mk4 scopes on e bay for £799 and the binos at £250 iam very pleased with my new toys ,sorry these 100% could not doo with out items ,should have got years ago -must haves ,on my way back to my car i noticed i had developed a strange limp on the side were my money was and memory loss or as the pro's call it short term money-tri loss

£799.00 Seemed to good to be true, so after a quick call to Luke at York Guns he confirmed what the score was.

The scopes are all Military surplus from the Jordanian Army.

Mil-dot.

Come with desert colored cover.

Leupold tripod.

Kill flash hiders.

They are all unused, as new, boxed, with full Leupold Warranty.

This little lot should retail at around £1800.00 brand new.

So their was only one thing to do....Order one (should arrive tomorrow)

Kind Regards

Rob

That bloody Brian [ bdt ] came in the shop today with one of these scopes. ######.

I just had to have a look through it didn,t I ?

The image was stunning, on all powers. I could not believe that it was a leupold.Some of the best glass i,ve ever look at, and its now blatantly obvious that they dont supply this quality to the civilian trade. This theory was borne out in some s/h leup tactical scopes we had from york that came off police guns. These were in a different league too.

I,ve been hanging on for 12 months hoping to find a s/h mk4, as i wouldn,t pay over a grand for swarovski, leica etc.

York sold us two this morning.

You wont be dissapointed Rob...they are fabulous.

.but like other say they are very good scope for a loopy.

I'd say they're an absolutely outstandingly off-the-scale blo'dy amazing scope for a leup :lol:

In resolution terms they absolutely match Swaro up to x30 - and dim a smidge beyond that - as would a Swaro with the same size objective.

Amazing glass - and not at all what I thought Leupold to be capable of.

Where they 'ace'it even further is in 'handiness' and 'packability'; - you get match for swaro optics in something that'll fit comfortably in a rucksack side pouch (I know of at least 2 people who've chosen not to upgrade to the Zeiss80 because of the handiness of the Leup).

Well the scope arrived and what can I say, the optics are stunning.

Compared the optics to the various work optics and the Leupold beat them all hands down.

The box arrived today and the contents are all brand new and un-opened.

027.jpg?t=1287164956

Was impresed with the build quality of the whole package.

034.jpg?t=1287165347

035.jpg?t=1287165460

Think it has to be the best £799.00 I have spent in the last few years.

Kind Regards

Rob

Rob,

Unusual collection of cars at your house!

Very nice. Not sure about the comparison with work optics - it is the work optic :blink::lol:

Looks like the centre column on that tripod needs to have 4" cut off the bottom.

Rob,

Unusual collection of cars at your house!

Very nice. Not sure about the comparison with work optics - it is the work optic :blink::lol:

Looks like the centre column on that tripod needs to have 4" cut off the bottom.

Ha ha,

If only the guns on thoes worked,

Guess I'll have to make do with CR2 (or maybe not....as of the coming SDR)

After powering up the gun system of the CR2, the optics on the Leupold offered better clarity.

Also compared them to other optics from stores, usual bits like binos, ACOGs, SUSATS, CWS and the like.

No Leuplod MK 4 spotting scopes in Cav stores, plus it was raining and didn't fancy the walk over to the crunches stores (ha ha)

Will pop over on Monday and have a good compare of the optics in the armoury.

Kind Regards

Rob

bdt, and anyone else who has tried them, could I have your opinion on the Leupold Tactical binos please?

I understand that they're 10 x 50 with either a mildot or tmr reticle. The Leupold spotter is getting rave reviews here, so I'm wondering if the binos are of similar glass quality?

Cheers.

George

bdt, and anyone else who has tried them, could I have your opinion on the Leupold Tactical binos please?

I understand that they're 10 x 50 with either a mil-dot or tmr reticle. The Leupold spotter is getting rave reviews here, so I'm wondering if the binos are of similar glass quality?

Cheers.

George

Hi George,

I had a pair of Leupold mil-dot Binos I borrowed off a mate, when I was stationed in Canada last year, and the optics were lovely.

However not as good as my Swarovski SLC 10x42 (but these now cost in the region of £1400.00)

I would say that if you have the opportunity to pic up a pair Leupold tactical binos then do it (10x50 cost about £500.00)

Kind Regards

Rob

Thanks for that, Rob.

I'd read some reports about the fact that they were made in China, and to steer clear, but there is some quality stuff coming out of China now.

The spec seems a little vague and I was wondering if it was the same glass as on the Mk4 spotter?

I'm using Hawke Frontier ED 10x43binos at the mo (don't all sneer together now chaps :rolleyes: ) and for the money (sub £300) they'll take some beating. Was hoping to aspire to the Leica Geovids, but the cost seems to be getting further out of reach, so having to stick to the Leica LRF plus binos.

George

Just as an update, (and in case I missed out on a good deal) I've just been on to York Guns and ordered both the MK4 spotter and the Tactical binos.

I'm told that for the princely sum of £799, the spotter comes with case, tripod and killflash and I managed to get the binos for the fleabay price of £250 instead of the shop price of £279. There's £6+ carriage on top.

So, now I'm skint, but very happy :)

Figure if the binos don't live up to the hype, I could probably move them on at very little financial loss.

George

• 1 month later...

I need to do a little more research but I think I have found a source for the spotting scope, Leupold 10x50s and maybe the kestrel anemometers cheaper than York Guns!!

They are from the same Jordanian source just a little less profit on the top

In case anyone is being tempted by the York Guns ebay items you can get a few quid back by registering with the ebay rewards. buying a pair of Binos will get you an ebay/paypal voucher for a tenner in a couple of months time, a spotting scope will earn you nearly £32 and a kestrel £2.50

If you also pay for your items through Quidco (www.quidco.com) using paypal you can get back 40% of what ebay make on the item (I imagine this is worth having on a £800 item. It takes a month or two but its better in your pocket than theirs.

I dont yet know if the alternative source will be cheaper than going the ebay/quidco route. Only time will tell.

Mark

Does anyone know how the 10x50 tactical binos fair in low light? Is the 10x mag too much to be stable, would I be better off with a pair of their cheap 7/8x 40ish Steiners at about £125 if they have any left that is?

Archived