Which laser range finder

Ok I know it is some what flogging a dead horse, but I would appreciate some opinions on this. What is the best for measuring small objects out to a 1000 yards. The 2 I know that are the top of the game are the Swarovski and the Leica 1200 CRF, is there anything else out there that might be better or is it the case that it is one of these two. I look forward as always to your structured and intelligent replies.

Guest Scotland Rifles

leica lrf 800/900 for a good second hand price of £150 to £180 cash

had 3 now and kept the last one, stunning is the word and you can use the display in the low light/dark

bob.

Swarovski Laser Guide will range out to 1km and more.

Got 1796m off a hedgeline with a swaro 45 minutes ago (slightly overcast) :blink:

Stepping up from than Vectronics PLRF 15c offers fantastic performance and features but at a price.

Yup, 3 times the performance of the swaro - and instant measurement and readout - reduces 'steadiness' requirement; 3km lasing of objects and foliage is possible handheld - don't think anything else gets near it. Put it on a tripod and you can lase the moon :)

I have the old Leica 1200 which in some ways is better than the later product. If you want to use yards and meters (not at the same time :blink: ) then this one will do it. If it is the crf you have to chose as it is fixed.

Best reading I have had is around 1300 yds so it will acheive its manufacturers spec in real world conditions.

Well happy with this product and for the money I don't think it can be beaten.

Thanks for the replies. The problem is not the distance my leupold bino's do a pretty good job of lasering out to about 600 yrds on large objects, ideal for stalking. The problems start to occur when I try to laser smaller objects such as rabbits crows etc at extended ranges 400 yrds+. Has any one had the chance to try any of the above mentioned LRF's on small targets at extended ranges and what have the results been? Thanks for all the info so far its being well noted.

alled,

To work out which is best on small stuff, you'll need to dig into the spec sheets - the laser with the smallest verical dispersion will be the best. Take it 'as read' that the PLRF will be the best, but I don't know how the others stack up.

Problem with small targets at distance is the natural shake you get holding something by hand. Other things worthy of consideration is the size of your pocket. As BD and DS1 says Vectronics PLRF 15c offers fantastic performance and features but at a price.

As I have said I have done Roe and muntjac out to 700Mr+ with my Leica but alot depends on conditions too.

Guest Scotland Rifles

Alled

if you are small target hunting then as mentioned above( the shaking like a dog straining for a poo) syndrome comes in, but if you are on range work you have to go for the Vectronics PLRF 15c offers fantastic performance and features but at a price.

link to the above, if you have the cash that is. :)http://www.epicos.com/epicos/extended/swit...ix/products.htm

if you are hunting then i would look at the spec sheets as mentioned. i do not take on large targets further than 150 yards (deer), small varmints and fox i am currently looking at 400 yards, and as all my shooting of these targets is done at night its a tad harder than you may think.

i use a LRF 900 from leica with a small tripod on the bonnet for stability, and i can't recommend it enough, but again i dont go past 500 yards and i do not have the funds to support this kind of stuff for my hobby full stop, so out past that i use bisley in the past with someone to tell me where i hit the target.

good luck in your trials and search, but let us know what discipline you are using it for and what you end up with

all the best

bob.

Ive had the same Swaro LG's for 8? yrs (since they came out)

Never let me down, will pick up targets out to 1400 mtrs (my own pair anyway), never made it much further with reliable (consistant) readings

I use these as "bino's" whilst stalking, they work a bit better than my no1 eyball....

Had I the spare cash, I would buy a Vectronics unit, the PLRF10 or 15, ive used a couple and frankly, they offer instant readings at any distance you can shoot at - and beyond.....

Two choices really

Swarowski or Vectronics

(for pure RF anyway)

Thanks so much for the advice. It would appear I have two choices really, swarovski or vectronix. Cant find a price on the vectronix models and I probably dont want to lol. I use swarovski scopes on most of my rifles and the optics are excellent, I suspect like everything swarovski do and the comments that have been made here also indicate that they make the type of lrf I am after. Please anyone else whishing to comment please do.

Archived