Stainless steel media

Scotch_egg

I have read on another site recently of the virtues in using a fine rice size stainless steel media to tumble brass. It cleans and polishes to a high standard.

Is any one using it in the uk ?

Currently I'm using a small ultra sonic cleaner that seems to take an age to get through a hundred cases and with the iminant arrival of my new toys I'm looking at making things as easy as possible to get in more trigger time.

I think you will be needing an uprated tumbler to vibrate that quantity of stainless steel.

Being harder than brass it will also wear your cases

Just buy a big tumbler like the RCBS one. Ultrasonic baths are for small quantities and folk with too much time on their hands

Mark

I haven't used one, but I'll add my two cents worth anyways...

First of all, you'll need a rotary tumbler. These can usually be had for a fairly inexpensive price on e-bay and such. The ones used to tumble/polish rocks work well from what I have read.

Secondly, the steel rods do not wear the brass excessively, as previously posted. Many folks are currently switching over, the steel rods provide a better cleaning and in much less time (I'm considering it myself actually), as they don't tend to get stuck in primer holes and last a long time.

I am curious about which actually removes more metal though...given a rough/virgin load of crushed walnut and "activator" you quite possibly could remove more metal than the steel rods peening the brass the brass clean.

BTW, when you think about it, I'm surprised someonoe didn't think of this earlier, as it is the same method used in upscale resturants to clean their silverware (only they use steel shot)...

And I'll add my 2 cents worth. This was an up and coming media for reloading in the 1980's and my good friend Larry Jordan used it on all his brass. One afternoon he was firing his .303 with 4831 (full density, low pressure) the action crashed. I had to beat the bolt open and the case was almost torn in two.

When I fished the case out there was a piece of stainless media jammed sideways in the neck. Larry quit using it that weekend. This anecdote is just for what it's worth.~Andrew

Dave, i,ve been there and tried all methods, including an industrial ultrasonic bath, that does it a whole lot faster. Do you know what the best is ?

A good quality tumbler, with FINE walnut media, that doesn,t stick in the flash holes, a squirt of rooster, or frankford arsenal polish, and TIME.

Mine are in the garage, I Chucked 500 .30 carbine cases in there the other day for around 3 hours, which was way longer than they needed, but they were beautiful when i came back. Forget them for a while, and do something else.. THIS is what gets cases clean. ;)

Would there be anychance of the brass becomming work hardened comming into contact with the steel pins?

Do you know if you have to aneal after cleaning?

cheers Andy

Archived