308 help please.

between the eyes

Hi people, I have just had some major building work completed at home and in the process I have lost my reloading data, I need the OAL and COL for .308 and I am using Vhit 140 powder with sierra 150 sp's, so need powder weight, I think that I was using 42.2 grains but please correct me if I'm wrong or need to up it a bit. :P

Thanks Andy.

Have you not got one loaded bullet left that you can measure, pull and then weigh the charge ?

My Viht. guide for N140 shows 46.8gr as maximum loading with 147/150gr bullets so your 42.2 suspected charge should be a safe starting point being about 10% lower than that quoted figure.

HWH.

Can you share your data?

I have some Sierra MK in 150 Grs that I bought for two of my No.4 Enfield 7.62mm conversions.

The starting load is listed at 40.4 Grs which I used, it's quite accurate at 300 yards, yet I find myself putting on an additional 3moa at 500 yds over and above the old RG L38A1 (144 Grn) that I had been using.

Next Sunday I am shooting a comp at 900 & 1000 and need to make up 100 rds with N140 this week.

I'd be -very- iffy about using std load data in a No.4 conversion.

The NZ NRA banned these rifles from target shooting after some came apart. No doubt stiffer loads but the fact remains the action is way weaker than front lockers

Chris-NZ

There has been some debate in the UK from the NRA regarding the new Ruag 155 Grn ammunition and it's use in No.4 conversions, the advice originally offered was to have No.4 actions reproofed to 20 ton.

This caused some hysteria (on both sides of the debate!) and the NRA downgraded it's initial warning, saying that Enfield manufactred rifles i.e. Envoys, L39A1's etc would be ok as long as they were reproofed to the new spec.

I should point out that I am only after a load for 150 Grn and not the 155 Grn which was what the debate was originally about.

I'd still be using somewhat conservative loads in a No.4 converted to .308.

Passing proof is one thing but metal fatigue is a very gradual process. Despite being relatively gung-ho in these matters, I'd personally not be feeding full-house loads through such a conversion.

I used to reload for both my No.4s but always used conservative loads and dumped the brass after two reloads. The last thing you want is a head separation in a No.4 as you are staring the leak straight in the face with this action design. There is no shielding from around the bolt face.

Chris-NZ

Passing proof is one thing but metal fatigue is a very gradual process. Despite being relatively gung-ho in these matters, I'd personally not be feeding full-house loads through such a conversion.Chris-NZ

Chris, I have yet to hear of a problem with a No.4 conversion and metal fatigue anywhere within the commonwealth; stories exist yet when details are asked for there is complete silence!

Remember that No.4 conversions were designed around the old Raufoss 144 Grn bullet, by asking for data for a load with a 150 Grn bullet I am being conservative and not being a risk to my fellow shooters at Bisley.

"between the eyes", were you reloading at 42.2 Grn (N140), and if so what ranges were you shooting at?

I'll see if I can collect some details- one of my gunsmiths (who have both been Armourers for the NZ rifle teams over the years) once told me at least two from memory came apart before the NZ NRA banned the conversions from ranges.

I'm not into passing on alarmist drivel.

Chris-NZ

I'm not into passing on alarmist drivel.Chris-NZ

Roger that!

My own take on the NRA stance is one of a health & safety issue where they want to distance themselves from any future problems i.e, having made the statment "we told you so!" if there is an incident.

However I'm still looking for a half decent load to take me out to 1000 yards next Sunday, it will save me buying RG black spot from Fultons.

My load is as follows..

N140 =43.2 grns

Sierra spbt 150 grns

Magtech primers

I doubt that the COAL will be of any use to use in your weapon, but I hope that the above helps, it's a clover leaf load in my Howa. :lol:

Thanks for that!

Based on your post and input from a couple of knowlegable mates on the subject it would appear that 41.5 ~ 42.5 is in the parish for a safe sensible load for the No.4 action with the 150 HPBT Match King.

I reckon 42 Grn should be a good place to start.

Archived