.300 Whisper

Hi All,

I'm seriously toying with the idea of a larger bore wildcat barrel for my Steyr Tactical Elite.

I'm looking mainly at the .300 whisper which could be an interesting pig calibre and save me having to set another rifle up for the NV as the Steyr is perfect for it.

Anybody running one of these?

Cheers

Clive

Not running one currently, but the barrel and dies are still sitting on the shelf. -_-

The 300 Whisper is an extremely efficient cartridge, especially if you're looking for a suppressed caliber. Even unsupressed, many folks here in teh States use it to good effect on our Whitetail deer.

If you're planning on using the 240gr bullets, you will need a fast twist barrel (IIRC mine is 1-7") to stabilize those long bullets at slow speeds. The 165gr work well when unsuppressed, super sonic loads are desired.

In a suppressed rifle, it is quite surprising how quiet it is...on par with an air rifle. When mine was up and running, a buddy and I were rolling ground squirrels with it at 100 yds...kind of like bolling or chucking fire hydrants at a man sized target. Lots of smackage factor...

:lol:

Get in touch with Mark Bradley, he builds them on AR platforms, and knows a fair bit about them. He,s on here, as Bradders.

Thats dangerous to the wallet, pick up one of his ARs, feel the Giselle? trigger, very very hard to put it down and walk away from. To hold one is to want one.

A

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

I'll get in touch with bradders. I also remember readong somewhere that dasherman sorted out someones Steyr with interchangeable barrels.

So anyone had much experience with the subsonics or even supersonics on pigs / foxes?

Cheers

Clive

While not quite "subsonic" I have shot 1200 fps, 220 grain cast bullet loads from a 30-06 at whitetail deer. They worked well. I also worked up some 210 grain cast bullets loads for the Marine's 30 Whisper at one time. MOA and better at 1050 fps.~Andrew

I would have thought even big subbies would have a pretty pronounced loop in the trajectory, what do you consider top end range wise?.

A

200yds.

At 300 the 240's are coming in like a meteroite ;)

I use 8 twists for 240's. For 220's a 10 twist will suffice,

Brass can either be necked up 221 Fireball or chopped down .223.

I have a Dillon 1050 set up to mass produce brass from used .223.

Here's a video when we were using a XL 650

I have both .300 Whisper and .300-221 reamers. The latter has a shorter throat and won't take 240's

I'm in the process of building 3 for a customer in France. 2 on AR15's and the other on a Rem 700.

It's very quiet on subs and extremely accurate. It also packs quite a wallop and can be loaded with various bullets to achieve anything from 900-2400fps depending on bulley weight.

Favourite powder if Viht 110 and the NRA have accepted them officially for Gallery Rifle events.

Mark

I would have thought even big subbies would have a pretty pronounced loop in the trajectory, what do you consider top end range wise?.

A

On deer sized game? Using the 210 grain bullets about 125 yards for me tho they will kill farther with a well placed shot. These rounds do have a high trajectory but people planning on shooting these kind of rounds must commit to becoming proficient in their trajectories and applications. They're not the kind of cartridges for the shooter who can't be bothered to get a grasp on sub-sonic flight characteristics and the dynamics of ballistic coefficient and sectional density.~Andrew

On deer sized game? Using the 210 grain bullets about 125 yards for me tho they will kill farther with a well placed shot. These rounds do have a high trajectory but people planning on shooting these kind of rounds must commit to becoming proficient in their trajectories and applications. They're not the kind of cartridges for the shooter who can't be bothered to get a grasp on sub-sonic flight characteristics and the dynamics of ballistic coefficient and sectional density.~Andrew

While they're more than capable of doing the business on deer sized game, they don't make the legal min limits

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all the info. I was under the impression that .300 Whisper and 30-221 were essentially the same but the .300 Whisper is a trade mark, hence dies, etc. being labelled 30-221. I also read that .300 Whisper has to be made from .221 brass whereas 30-221 can be made from .223 (something to do with thickness at the neck).

Anyway just to be a pain in the arris I'd want to have the option of using both subsonic 220 grn loads, as well as supersonic 110-125 grn loads. Any suggestions on twist?

Cheers

Clive

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all the info. I was under the impression that .300 Whisper and 30-221 were essentially the same but the .300 Whisper is a trade mark, hence dies, etc. being labelled 30-221. I also read that .300 Whisper has to be made from .221 brass whereas 30-221 can be made from .223 (something to do with thickness at the neck).

Anyway just to be a pain in the arris I'd want to have the option of using both subsonic 220 grn loads, as well as supersonic 110-125 grn loads. Any suggestions on twist?

Cheers

Clive

Clive

1:10 will do it

I usually chamber with a .300 Whisper reamer and everyone I know is just using chopped down .223 brass without any neck thickness issues.

I'll have to dig out the reamer prints to see if there is any difference at the neck

Clive

1:10 will do it

I usually chamber with a .300 Whisper reamer and everyone I know is just using chopped down .223 brass without any neck thickness issues.

I'll have to dig out the reamer prints to see if there is any difference at the neck

[/quote

I would go faster than 1:10" on the twist. The 220's will like it better at sub-sonic speeds. ~Andrew

Archived