FAO: .20 tactical loaders

Guest Scotland Rifles

Guest Scotland Rifles

Can you let me know what you are running in yours.

i am using a 40 grain pill with 24.5 gr of RL10X.

i want to reduce my powder a tad and would like to know what you lot are running powder weight wise.

many thanks

bob.

bob-when i had mine i went down to 23.5gns with rel10 but accuracy dropped right off.i found the sweet spot with a 40gn berger at 24.8 but this gave a bit of pressure so i dropped to 24.5 this seems to be the right amount of powder for the 40gn bullet in relation to case size.

i think i gave you some load info when you first got the rifle if not let me know and i will let you have data for 30- 32-39-40gn.

gary

Given 20 tactical and 20 practical are very similar:

25 grains vit 133

39 grain blitzking

lapua match brass

federal primer

It shoots straighter than I will ever do.

I will say I found good accuracy around 24.5 grains of vit 133.

Guest Scotland Rifles
bob-when i had mine i went down to 23.5gns with rel10 but accuracy dropped right off.i found the sweet spot with a 40gn berger at 24.8 but this gave a bit of pressure so i dropped to 24.5 this seems to be the right amount of powder for the 40gn bullet in relation to case size.

i think i gave you some load info when you first got the rifle if not let me know and i will let you have data for 30- 32-39-40gn.

gary

Hi Gary it would be handy to have mate,

i am also having pressure issues with Dakota Brass, so i need to have some guide lines to help with the powder load and the quality of the brass.

thank you

bob.

Guest Scotland Rifles

I think i need to have some nice brass to load, I'm not that keen on the Dakota stuff but as its all i can find down here, I'm just wondering if better brass will have the same problems.

bob.

Bob,

Dakota brass is made by Lapua. I don't think you will get much better. If I recall corectly your rifle was chambered by Dasherman, with the results 6mmbr is getting I would use his OAL and

load as a starter for ten. I believe Dasherman built his rifle too.

I am having a .20Tac built by Dasherman and with all the research I have done I will be using N133. Reloader 10 has been recommended by Tod Kindler, but the published results I have seen are consistently better with N133.

Dasherman informed me my barrel arrived last week, I can't wait to get the finished rifle out into the field.

what pressure problems are you getting Bob?

Ive seen heavily cratered primers in a friends 20TAC (the bloke who started the thread above actually with what I beleive was gary's old rifle!!!!) but thats really all ive come across. Although the virgin Dakota/Lapua brass does seem to be a bit tight the quality is excellent - I weighed and measured my first batch and it was very consistant. I havent bothered with the last 2 boxes and have had no problems other than the tight necks. That said I have been using a mild load!!

Once this N133 is gone im trying a few different powders with the once fired, neck sized brass. There seems to be alot of powders the cartridge shoots well!!

there is alot of good info on the saubier forum too mate.

Guest Scotland Rifles
what pressure problems are you getting Bob?

Ive seen heavily cratered primers in a friends 20TAC (the bloke who started the thread above actually with what I beleive was gary's old rifle!!!!) but thats really all ive come across. Although the virgin Dakota/Lapua brass does seem to be a bit tight the quality is excellent - I weighed and measured my first batch and it was very consistant. I havent bothered with the last 2 boxes and have had no problems other than the tight necks. That said I have been using a mild load!!

Once this N133 is gone im trying a few different powders with the once fired, neck sized brass. There seems to be alot of powders the cartridge shoots well!!

there is alot of good info on the saubier forum too mate.

thank you lads,

you are correct, the rifle was built by neil (Dasherman) and you will be over the moon with the 20 when you get it, i have to say its getting a load of work from me, more than my 17hmr in fact.

i am getting a cratered primer from time to time. the thing is my bolt has a adjustable firing pin but: if i adjust it to much it does not strike hard enough to set the primer off, then i adjust it to get the right strike on the primer, then sooner rather than later i start to have the same problem on the odd primer,

a bit strange to say the least.

I also find the ones with the primer problem also seem to be a weeeee bit tight on the way out,

i think i will really have a good go at checking everything on my next batch of 50 and see where we go from there.

thank you all for your help and support update to follow.

bob.

Hi Bob

I was using 24.7 10X for a while - I have run loads slightly higher than this on neck sized once fired brass. Are these pressure issues with new brass or once fired? Have you tried neck sized only cases - the pressure does drop slightly due to the slight increase in case capacity, depending on your chamber size. I'm now using up a batch of N133 with 40gr and 32gr, though the velocity will be slightly lower. Have you also changed the seating depth - that might help.

Andrew

Bob,

Dakota brass is made by Lapua. I don't think you will get much better. If I recall corectly your rifle was chambered by Dasherman, with the results 6mmbr is getting I would use his OAL and

load as a starter for ten. I believe Dasherman built his rifle too.

I am having a .20Tac built by Dasherman and with all the research I have done I will be using N133. Reloader 10 has been recommended by Tod Kindler, but the published results I have seen are consistently better with N133.

Dasherman informed me my barrel arrived last week, I can't wait to get the finished rifle out into the field.

Your right Dasherman did build and chamber my .20 TAC the only difference is mine is a 1 in 9 twist Pacnor.

This shoots the 50 grain Bergers superbly. My main load as said earlier was 23gn N133 this is superbly accurate and adding any more powder does nothing for accurracy.

I've had no problems with the Dakota brass other than loosing one or two to split necks after multiple reloads.

Mine shows cratered primers on almost any load and I think is more of a problem of the diameter of the Remy firing pin, I believe if I had the pin turned down and the bolt bushed this would solve the problem.

Cheers

Dave

bob im running 23gn of n130, had very good results,

im keen to try reloader10, ive got a couple of tubs sat here, i tried the 10x on 35 gr bergers a while ago but wasn't that happy.

i have had no issues with he brass from Dakota either, ive only just started reloading with once fired cases, the first 1200 fired as virgin brass have been great.

Guest Scotland Rifles
bob im running 23gn of n130, had very good results,

im keen to try reloader10, ive got a couple of tubs sat here, i tried the 10x on 35 gr bergers a while ago but wasn't that happy.

i have had no issues with he brass from Dakota either, ive only just started reloading with once fired cases, the first 1200 fired as virgin brass have been great.

hi big man

well if you want to get rid off the reloader powder i will have it as soon as i have found a new vari mag for stalking.

i think i will have to do some more tests on the brass but i have had a few that seem tight in the chamber after the first reload

bob.

Archived