Few photos from New Zealand/Australia this winter.

Cracking pics and a lovely place to see. Thats certainly some head the guy is holding, would you be able to bring it back or do Foot & Mouth restrictions prevent it,. interesting that Beretta shotguns get everywhere these days.

A

Berettas and Benellis are big sellers here.

One of the guys who shot with us on Opening Morning had an Extrema with a mag extension that took it to 13 shots :)

Chris-NZ

Chris

Whats with the peacock did it annoy you or do you actually shoot them for sport over there?

Are the reds crossing with Sika one in your photos looks a little like Hybrid?

Looks like you boys have got an awful lot of fun sport down there, I just might have to emmigrate lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, missed this question as I've been away.

There are quite a few wild peacock throughout NZ and these get a rev-up by shooters on occasion. More so with wild turkeys. There are three pukeko (native swamp hens with red heads) in the pictures.

I don't follow the technicalities of hybridisation in reds v sikas. I've heard some guys say they interbreed easily and other maintain it never happens. I will ask some guys who are knowledgeable if I remember.

Chris-NZ

Thanks Chris

What does a peacock fly like, it is very big bird cant imagine they get very high?

Sika and Red deer do cross easily, just looks a little like one.

So you have turkeys as well, do you bag one for christmas or is it still a supermarket job?

Look forward ot hearing from you.

I've never bothered shooting peacock myself- feel they're a pretty bird that is good to have around.

Not so turkeys- from a year or so back:

Sample.jpg

We shot over 20 that day, saved the breasts and made turkey/ven saussies. Turkeys can be a decent size flocks round here

Got two with neck shots on Sunday (out of a flock of at least 15) in prime condition and tried one breast stuffed with cheese in the big George Forman grill- was perfect, only took 4mins. The meat was very white and tender.

Chris-NZ

Chris

Are you restricted on seasons etc? I did read some where that in NZ you have a lot of public access hunting ground is this the case or are you restricted to shooting on grounds where you have permission? Turkeys look like fun what do you shoot them with? Very nice spot you have there and thanks for the info so far.

The only seasonal restrictions relate to birds normally. We have a two month duck season that continues on for other game birds, in fact I need to get out after some pheasants before it finishes end of Aug.

Deer are permanent open season, in fact shooting them is encouraged by Dept of Conservation. Deer, thar, chamois and goats are all deemed exotic pests by DoC. It's simply a formailty to get a permit to shoot on public land. Us lucky ones have private land to shoot on, usually farms that border on public wilderness.

The only restricted deer shooting is wapiti in Fiordland which is by ballot. This is serious hard-yards hunting in magnificent country. Here's an article by Greg, the Ed of NZ Hunter mag:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/wapiti-hunting.php

My brother is the secretary of the Wapiti Foundation but only hunts with a camera these days

Chris-NZ

Chris many thanks for all the info, that article is trully fascinating. I assume from reading it that all they do is remove the head and little bits of the animal and leave the main carcass behind. It is truly an amazing country and I hope one day to get out there and do some hunting. Thanks again for all the info and the pics brilliant.

Archived