Tumbler recipes

n8ess

I use them both, but corncob is better for removing carbon, but gets stuck in the flashholes. Walnut gives a much nicer, shinier finish. I use the impregnated corncob, which has what looks like jewellers rouge in it. It needs running through some walnut then to remove the red "tinge" but the brass is better than new. Think its lyman that sells it.

I put the cases through the ultrasonic bath which removes the carbon very well in about 15 minutes but the finish is dull despite various trials with different agents.

To get a good finish I use a crazy cloth which does the job but is very tedious. I was hoping to give them a final polish with the tumbler?

Cheers

Neil

I use them both, but corncob is better for removing carbon, but gets stuck in the flashholes. Walnut gives a much nicer, shinier finish. I use the impregnated corncob, which has what looks like jewellers rouge in it. It needs running through some walnut then to remove the red "tinge" but the brass is better than new. Think its lyman that sells it.

Interesting. I've only ever used corncob, but years ago I bought some of that Lyman red walnut stuff, used it a couple of times and thought, Yuck! It's bloody messy... Red dust everywhere. Bit of a slog having to tumble stuff twice, isn't it? I only tumble small quantities of brass at a time so I don't fancy doing each batch twice over. But I see that one can buy plain "walnut sand" (as they call it for keeping reptiles) on E**y for a bit under £15/5kg which should last quite a while. Is this a decent price? Maybe I'll get some of that: I never especially want my brass to shine like the sun, just need it clean and respectable...

Regards, TonyH

I run two tumblers Tony, and i run cartridges for all my rifles in 300,s. Basically i shoot them all then size, trim, tumble the whole 300 in the garage. Not a problem if you have other jobs to get on with.

you are right about it initially being messy, the red stuff, but it gets better with use a few times.

Frankford arsenal do a very good media additive too, its basically a cartridge friendly polish, unlike brasso etc.

Been the ultrasonic route too, even with a university quality big machine.....its still too much faffing about.

Interesting. I've only ever used corncob, but years ago I bought some of that Lyman red walnut stuff, used it a couple of times and thought, Yuck! It's bloody messy... Red dust everywhere. Bit of a slog having to tumble stuff twice, isn't it? I only tumble small quantities of brass at a time so I don't fancy doing each batch twice over. But I see that one can buy plain "walnut sand" (as they call it for keeping reptiles) on E**y for a bit under £15/5kg which should last quite a while. Is this a decent price? Maybe I'll get some of that: I never especially want my brass to shine like the sun, just need it clean and respectable...

Regards, TonyH

TonyH,

Try tossing a dryer sheet from the laundry into the media, it keeps the dust down considerably...

The sheets used for keeping static out of your clothes (and giving them a fresh scent). "Bounce", "Snuggle" etc.

Hey, laundromat tips! Thanks Marine, but I avoid those places like the plague. Bounce and Snuggle, terrific brands... How big is your tumbler? I'm impressed: mine would barely take a small duster or two, but not one of these fearsome sounding dryer sheets. Learn something new every day! I doubt if I'll try the red-coloured Lyman stuff again actually, will just get hold of some plain ground walnut and use that instead of corncob.

Regards, TonyH

Hi all

I have just tumbled my first few cases, 100, using a Smartreloader tumbler and well pleased with the result, used whatever came with the media - it was a small tube of paste.

BUT I heard that cat litter can be used for the media, ANY truth in that????

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

I have just tumbled my first few cases, 100, using a Smartreloader tumbler and well pleased with the result, used whatever came with the media - it was a small tube of paste.

BUT I heard that cat litter can be used for the media, ANY truth in that????

Cat litter is very dusty, stick to wallnut/lizard vivarium bedding.

Archived