LRPC Sporting rifle comp

Hi guys.. Sunday morning was looking gloomy as Bluebell picked me up and we set off down to Bisley & to battle..

It was raining on arrival but as the shooters gathered the clouds parted and the game was on..

DSCF0503.jpg

A light breeze was all there was to contend with as we looked on downrange Bisley's Short Siberia 200 yarder, sizing up the target..

DSCF0506.jpg

DSCF0511.jpg

One by one competitors got down on the firing point and set about the course of fire.

5 rounds in 3 mins prone supported.

2 rounds in 15 secs repeated 3 times, prone unsupported.

5 rounds in 1 min sitting supported.

5 rounds in 1 min kneeling supported.

The target, from the British deer society incorporated a 6" broken circle in the "boiler room". The circle can't be seen at 200 yards even with the most powerful of scopes so it was imperative that one picked ones aim point carefully and stuck to it.

The scoring was simple. 1 point for a hit in the circle & a big fat zero for a shot outside. Max points 21..

DSCF0512.jpg

DSCF0521.jpg

DSCF0522.jpg

DSCF0509.jpg

The first two stages weren't so bad but unless you're used to shooting off sticks or a bipod sitting and kneeling, it's surprising just how much shake is evident when looking through the scope..

Bluebell did well with my T3 but timed out on one or two stages, costing her vital points. Nevertheless she posted a creditable score and placed an overall third.. Well done Jan.... :rolleyes:

Yours truly kept his cool and won the day 5 points clear of the second placed shooter to take home the trophy. :rolleyes:

DSCF0525.jpg

Nice write up Grant and congratulations.

Looks like a good fun competition, based on the 100 stalkers challenge?

In the forth photo down, I bet the guy on the left was miffed off at leaving his scope at home :rolleyes:

Hi Ian.. I believe the comp is based roughly on the stalkers challenge yes. The guy on the left was shooting on another target though we did once have someone shoot the comp with a No4 Enfield & open sights. He scored fairly well considering he didn't have a reference point to aim at but then that's the whole point. :rolleyes:

I shoot with the old gentleman who is handing over the trophy.

Now he has retired, he shoots even better.

Goddam it!!

Ooh steady I think he would describe himself as 'mature'!

It was great fun and thanks to streeker for the loan of a rifle as mine is in the workshop :D Bad timing on my part!

Archived