First success with the hornet

gerald butler

Well despite initial frustrations with my CZ 527 Hornet we seem to be getting there after a few modifications , accuracy much improved even with factory ammo.

With new found confidence I set out yesterday afternoon after M r Fox, having had several daytime sightings over the last couple of weeks, nothing doing so decided to rest up in cover for the last couple of hours of daylight hoping to intercept him on one of the rides where we have spotted him in the evenings. With light fading fast I thought my chance had gone when all of a sudden he appeared out of nowhere about 100yds down the ride, gun was already rested in position, gave him a shout which stopped him long enough to get my 45 gr win sp on it's way for my first Fox kill with the new rifle. Gerald.

Well despite initial frustrations with my CZ 527 Hornet we seem to be getting there after a few modifications , accuracy much improved even with factory ammo.

With new found confidence I set out yesterday afternoon after M r Fox, having had several daytime sightings over the last couple of weeks, nothing doing so decided to rest up in cover for the last couple of hours of daylight hoping to intercept him on one of the rides where we have spotted him in the evenings. With light fading fast I thought my chance had gone when all of a sudden he appeared out of nowhere about 100yds down the ride, gun was already rested in position, gave him a shout which stopped him long enough to get my 45 gr win sp on it's way for my first Fox kill with the new rifle. Gerald.

Sorry just realised I've posted this in the wrong section!

Interestingly there is a review of the CZ527 Hornet in one of the mags this month, with a moddy on it was dire accuracy wise, take if off and of was reasonably OK, must be a threading issue.

Its the first time I have seen a reviewer slate a product for some while. Said he had reviewed another make in Hornet some while ago that would not hit a barn from the inside or similar, wonder how he worded that !!.

A

I'm pleased to hear you're getting the hang of your Hornet. It's a brilliant little round for Foxes and vermin at medium ranges. Mine would happily shoot half inch groups at 100 yards with homeloads. Fair enough a good modern calibre will clover leaf but for the ranges the Hornet is used out to that's plenty good enough.

Just out of interest, what did you do to make factory ammo shoot better?

Interestingly there is a review of the CZ527 Hornet in one of the mags this month, with a moddy on it was dire accuracy wise, take if off and of was reasonably OK, must be a threading issue.

Congratulation Gerald, great when your patience pays off :rolleyes: May he be the first of many.

A,

I have an identical probelm with my CZ 527 American in 221 Fireball, I've tried 3 different mods, 2 different styles (2 over the barrel and 1 forward mounting) with handloads and no mod I can get shooting pretty decent but stick on a mod and it at least doubles :rolleyes:

I've always put it down to the thin sporter barrel, but on reading your post I will have the threads looked at, could you let me know which magazine the article is in??

Cheers Steve

Congrats Gerald! You will get it down pat. FYI, I have found that cleaning my Hornet really opens up the groups. I now suffice with a scant drop of oil on the soft part of a bore snake and find that it is all that I need; and then just every once in a while. Frequent cleaning just seems to make the accuracy quest and uphill fight.

I would surely like to read that article on the CZ Hornet. No one I know who has one has a complaint, and that totals quite a few people. As to the Moderator issue, I can't say as I have very little experience with moderators. I do know that if you hang anything on the end of a barrel is has the serious potential for inhibiting accuracy. I'm sure that if a moderator was fit badly it would screw-up accuracy, big time.

Frankly, I have found few accurate Hornets in my life. I have owned darned near all of them as well as some customs. The most accurate I have owned were a (miniature) Remington Rolling Block custom, the Anschutz, and finally -the best yet- the CZ. The worst: Winchester Model 43, Savage Bolt action and the all time worst, the Ruger 77/22 Hornet (first year production).~Andrew

Glad to hear you are getting on with the Hornet. Accuracy wise with my CZ i manage to print 3/4" to 1" groups , with home loads, fairly consistantly @100yds following advice from people like Andrew and marine on here! My Hornet is plenty accurate for me as i wanted a calibre that would do .17 HMR job (and more!) and more importantly be cheaper to run than HMR! If i were you i would drop sir-slots-alot a PM as i think he used to run his CZ hornet with Mod on, and in his videos on utube he appears to have an accurate rifle.

I'm pleased to hear you're getting the hang of your Hornet. It's a brilliant little round for Foxes and vermin at medium ranges. Mine would happily shoot half inch groups at 100 yards with homeloads. Fair enough a good modern calibre will clover leaf but for the ranges the Hornet is used out to that's plenty good enough.

Just out of interest, what did you do to make factory ammo shoot better?

I bought the rifle s/h along with 100 Win 45 gr sp bullets, the original owner did not home load and I have not got started yet so these are the only ammunition that I have used so far. Initial results were not good grouping all over the place. On checking we found the barrel to be very tight in the stock so this was bedded/free floated, also noticed that my scope was just touching the rear sight ridge on the barrel which obviously did'nt help and lastly I found when cycling the bullets they were clipping on entry into the barrel.

All these things have now been sorted and the groupings are acceptable (1" at 100 yds) for shooting/Hunting purposes with the factory ammo.

I am looking forward to getting my reloading underway now that I have my licence back,(three week's to get it updated) so putting together a list of stuff that I need.

Have followed all the recent threads/posts on here about hornet reloading so have agood idea of what i need but I really would appreciate if any of you kind people who have contributed to these threads

would list a complete kit of items that I will require to ensure i don't forget anything.For someone who is just starting up it really is confusing, the Lee product range seem to be the way to go but confused as to which die set etc to get ie Pacesetter, Delux etc. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank's Gerald.

Congratulation Gerald, great when your patience pays off :rolleyes: May he be the first of many.

A,

I have an identical probelm with my CZ 527 American in 221 Fireball, I've tried 3 different mods, 2 different styles (2 over the barrel and 1 forward mounting) with handloads and no mod I can get shooting pretty decent but stick on a mod and it at least doubles :rolleyes:

I've always put it down to the thin sporter barrel, but on reading your post I will have the threads looked at, could you let me know which magazine the article is in??

Cheers Steve

Thank's Steve, I think with CZ's you have to class them as a work in progress to get the best out of them, some are lucky and get shooters out of the box, but the majority have to have some work done ie: barrel floating, triggers etc.

The magazine that included the .22 Hornet review was Shooting Sports. The main problem was that the bullets were clipping the baffles inside the original moderator fitted ( described as a.22Hornet-rated rimfire-type moddy?).The problem was solved when a proper centrefire A-TEC mod was fitted and groups came down to 1" with the 35 gr hornady V-Max and 1 1/2"-2" with 45 gr Remington's.

Rgds Gerald.

Congrats Gerald! You will get it down pat. FYI, I have found that cleaning my Hornet really opens up the groups. I now suffice with a scant drop of oil on the soft part of a bore snake and find that it is all that I need; and then just every once in a while. Frequent cleaning just seems to make the accuracy quest and uphill fight.

I would surely like to read that article on the CZ Hornet. No one I know who has one has a complaint, and that totals quite a few people. As to the Moderator issue, I can't say as I have very little experience with moderators. I do know that if you hang anything on the end of a barrel is has the serious potential for inhibiting accuracy. I'm sure that if a moderator was fit badly it would screw-up accuracy, big time.

Frankly, I have found few accurate Hornets in my life. I have owned darned near all of them as well as some customs. The most accurate I have owned were a (miniature) Remington Rolling Block custom, the Anschutz, and finally -the best yet- the CZ. The worst: Winchester Model 43, Savage Bolt action and the all time worst, the Ruger 77/22 Hornet (first year production).~Andrew

Thank's Andrew, yes i'm sure the groups will contract with your homeload recipe's when I get underway. Very interesting comment's re the barrel cleaning and this was why I asked about the cleaning procedure in an earlier post as alot of people I know have come to the same conclusion and just pull through with a bit of oil every now and again.Good to have your observations. Rgds Gerald.

Thank's Steve, I think with CZ's you have to class them as a work in progress to get the best out of them, some are lucky and get shooters out of the box, but the majority have to have some work done ie: barrel floating, triggers etc.

The magazine that included the .22 Hornet review was Shooting Sports. The main problem was that the bullets were clipping the baffles inside the original moderator fitted ( described as a.22Hornet-rated rimfire-type moddy?).The problem was solved when a proper centrefire A-TEC mod was fitted and groups came down to 1" with the 35 gr hornady V-Max and 1 1/2"-2" with 45 gr Remington's.

Rgds Gerald.

Thanks for the mag details Gerald, I better get my arse down to "SpecSavers" :blink: I've already read it, all but a skip through. Good luck with the Hornet buddy.

I bought the magazine and read the Hornet review, I do not see what the problem is? the initial crap groupings were down to a dodgy moderator, i think the wrong twist rate was quoted aswell. He quoted 1:14 i thought it is 1:16.

It is 1:16 twist. What loads did he use?? Sounds like a half-a$$ed attempt at accuracy. Funny how a fellow will toss together loads for a .22 Hornet sporter but work all his match-grade magic on a heavy 308... even knowing that the Hornet can be fussy when loaded carelessly.~Andrew

It is 1:16 twist. What loads did he use?? Sounds like a half-a$$ed attempt at accuracy. Funny how a fellow will toss together loads for a .22 Hornet sporter but work all his match-grade magic on a heavy 308... even knowing that the Hornet can be fussy when loaded carelessly.~Andrew

He used factory loads only! which after changing to a better moderator grouped as follows;

35gn Remington accutip and 35gn V max=1" GROUP

45GN Remington SP=1 1/2 TO 2"

Surely for factory loads these groups aint half bad!

Maybe he is worried a good review will damage .17 hmr sales! as due to high prices for hmr ammo a few lads seem to be turning to the home loadable hornet.

There are many writers/reviewers that view the Hornet as a round little better than the 22WMR and generally unsuitable for varminting. The truth is that it is uniquely suitable for varminting when neighbors and livestock are close. Arguments have been voiced that the 17HMR or 22WMR could suffice in those situations but it isn't so. I kill prairiedogs out to 250 yards with the Hornet. Neither of the aforementioned rimmers -especially the HMR- is consistently capable of that, nor to they haul the freight when it comes to knockdown that the Hornet does.

Remington 45 grain SP are some real milk-toast cartridges. I shot some from my Anschutz and couldn't get any semblance of decent grouping. Too slow. Conversly, the Hornady load at 3100 fps was very accurate.~Andrew

Well the time has arrived to sart my reloading, purchased a load of kit on saturday from Trent Firearms inc LILGUN powder, 40gr V-MAX , 40gr NOSELER BT, Reminton 6 1/2 SRP ( despite your much appreciated efforts Nick he insisted it was illegal to sell SMPP.What a load of B-----ks), dies etc etc. Off up to my mates this morning for my first lesson armed with copies of all the re-loading tips you guy's have offered over the last few weeks/months.

Nick could'nt get the Blitzkings, out of stock, but read elsewhere that the noselers were every bit as good. Gone for the 40gr to start with as I want them primarily for Fox.

Will let you know how I get on!

Gerald.

• 2 weeks later...

Gerald: I shook off some winter rust at the prairiedog town this afternoon. Used the Midway "Dogtown" 34 grain bullets and had great success with them. Had one make it down a hole dragging it's innards from a shot hit too low on the belly (My Bad) but all the others popped and died on the spot. I am really impressed with these "bargain" bullets. I shot this group this morning before I went to the town. It's a case full of Lil Gun and a Small pistol primer sealed with a crimp. ~Andrew

Dogtown410.jpg

Gerald: I shook off some winter rust at the prairiedog town this afternoon. Used the Midway "Dogtown" 34 grain bullets and had great success with them. Had one make it down a hole dragging it's innards from a shot hit too low on the belly (My Bad) but all the others popped and died on the spot. I am really impressed with these "bargain" bullets. I shot this group this morning before I went to the town. It's a case full of Lil Gun and a Small pistol primer sealed with a crimp. ~Andrew

Dogtown410.jpg

[/quote

Looks like you've hit on a winner their Andrew, my gun just loves the 40 gr V-MAX with 13 gr Lilgun i've been amazed at how flat they shoot, talking of a drop of 2-3" at 200 yds with a 100yd zero, Tested this morning shooting of a bipod at ground level into a fairly stiff head breeze. This load caters for everything I expect to come across especially fox but I can appreciate how effective the lighter bullet would be on praire dog type prey.

You guy's really have perfected the loading technique for the hornet, I've had no end of people tell me I should not under any circumstances crimp the Hornet case when reloading, they have always accepted the Hornet to be a mediocre accurate vermin rifle and never really attempted to improve the performance, but with the homeload recipes and techniques that you have passed on to us coupled with the CZ action the Hornet has reached new heights and is rapidly gaining popularity as a good allround vermin/foxing rifle out to 200 yds.

My gun is so much better for the barrel chop it is so compact and well balanced with the moderator on and Bipod fitted and my confidence in the capability of the rifle is growing all the time. Gerald.

In the CZ it is a fine medium range varmint cartridge, indeed! Have you chronographed your loads from your chopped Hornet yet? I'd love to hear the results.

I went out with my son and his friend this evening and I took a prairiedog at 283M with the Dog Town bullets. (according to my range finder) It took one shot to range him and I hit him on the next. He fell over and kicked twice before expiring. This is obviously on the outside edge of even the flattest Hornet trajectories, but 200 and 250 yards are done my Marine PMI and I pretty frequently.

I am glad you are finding pleasure in your Hornet. My son and I have larger varmint calibers but prefer the challenge of the Hornet.~Andrew

• 2 months later...
In the CZ it is a fine medium range varmint cartridge, indeed! Have you chronographed your loads from your chopped Hornet yet? I'd love to hear the results.

I went out with my son and his friend this evening and I took a prairiedog at 283M with the Dog Town bullets. (according to my range finder) It took one shot to range him and I hit him on the next. He fell over and kicked twice before expiring. This is obviously on the outside edge of even the flattest Hornet trajectories, but 200 and 250 yards are done my Marine PMI and I pretty frequently.

I am glad you are finding pleasure in your Hornet. My son and I have larger varmint calibers but prefer the challenge of the Hornet.~Andrew

you should speak with captain zereo /he a big hornet user

what bullets were you using in the 77/22, i have just got one and at first i hated it as it was grouping at 8" :D with 45g win sp and 3" with privi.on asking the previous owner it turns out it likes 35g v-max and sure enough it was shooting 1/2 to 3/4" at 100 yards of the car bonnet with factory loads.this is a common problem with 77/22 as the slow barrel twist cannot handle 45g.

i am going to start homeloading soon and will try 35g/40g v-max heads and post up the results.

a guy over here had similar problems with his cz 527 until he tried win hp,it shoots them within 1/2 moa,it would seem hornet barrels can be bullet fussy

what bullets were you using in the 77/22, i have just got one and at first i hated it ......on asking the previous owner it turns out it likes 35g v-max and sure enough it was shooting 1/2 to 3/4" at 100 yards ...

Damn near mirrors my experience with the same gun- the two-piece bolt and rear locking isn't a great recipe for accuracy.

Having had no real problems in the past with many other calibres, I thought working up a load for the Hornet wouldn't be too much of a challenge. Boy, was I wrong. Initial groups were terrible so I bedded the action. No better. Tried all sorts of 45 gr projectiles, loads/powders, various brass treatment, std v pistol primers and the thing was still shooting no better than 2" and gen worse.

Brought some 35 V-Max projs back from one trip to the US and was immediately in business. Most groups were sub inch but the average accuracy still wasn't what I expect from a .223.

It's DEF a challenging cartridge to load for

Chris-NZ

Damn near mirrors my experience with the same gun- the two-piece bolt and rear locking isn't a great recipe for accuracy.

Having had no real problems in the past with many other calibres, I thought working up a load for the Hornet wouldn't be too much of a challenge. Boy, was I wrong. Initial groups were terrible so I bedded the action. No better. Tried all sorts of 45 gr projectiles, loads/powders, various brass treatment, std v pistol primers and the thing was still shooting no better than 2" and gen worse.

Brought some 35 V-Max projs back from one trip to the US and was immediately in business. Most groups were sub inch but the average accuracy still wasn't what I expect from a .223.

It's DEF a challenging cartridge to load for

Chris-NZ

i was guaranteed 1/2 moa on factory 35g

ive done allot of research on the rifle and all the bad comments come from people using 45g+ factory loads :D :D

there problem

Fascinating.

I'd say anyone that --guarantees-- 1/2 MOA with a Ruger 77 needs to take reality pills.

That level of accuracy guarantee is reserved for the very best semi-custom rifles and def not some mass produced factory gun with a less-than-ideal action design.

BTW, 1 in 14 is without doubt fast enough to stabilise a stubby 45gr projectile, even at Hornet vels

Chris-NZ

Archived