First success with the hornet

gerald butler

Fascinating.

I'd say anyone that --guarantees-- 1/2 MOA with a Ruger 77 needs to take reality pills.

That level of accuracy guarantee is reserved for the very best semi-custom rifles and def not some mass produced factory gun with a less-than-ideal action design.

BTW, 1 in 14 is without doubt fast enough to stabilise a stubby 45gr projectile, even at Hornet vels

Chris-NZ

+ 1 on those views. Half-MOA is a real challenge with this cartridge in any rifle. I also agree with those who recommended the 35gn V-Max. It definitely makes life easier, especially if you add Hodgdon Lil Gun. Otherwise, if it's the standard 1-16" twist rate, stick to the really blunt little 40s designed for the Hornet. I never had any luck with the 40gn V-Max and it wouldn't feed in my old Savage-Stevens either when loaded to fit the magazine - bullets far too deep in the case. The Ruger's 1-14" twist should suit it and the longer more pointed 40s better assuming the rotary magazine also suits (which I can't comment on never having tried the 77/22H).

The other thing to note with this cartridge (and some others) that when claims are made for half-MOA groups, you want to know how many shots the claimant puts in them. In the many, many test groups I fired with the Hornet, some would have looked more than decent if I'd stuck to three shots like many shooters do. Then there those that still looked really good through the scope with four in and you're thinking, "Will the fifth spoil it?" ..... and it nearly always did!

I generally shoot three shots with the Hornet with absolutely no apologies to anyone for NOT shooting five shots. I shoot a 527 American which has a thin barrel and I use the Hornet for hunting. I seldom get or need more than two shots.

That being said, I've never fired a group larger than MOA that I can recall whether 3 or 5 shots; and I have a reloading room wall papered with small Hornet groups. In fact, I have fired ten shots that went well under 3/4 MOA on at least one occasion.~Andrew

I generally shoot three shots with the Hornet with absolutely no apologies to anyone for NOT shooting five shots. I shoot a 527 American which has a thin barrel and I use the Hornet for hunting. I seldom get or need more than two shots.

That being said, I've never fired a group larger than MOA that I can recall whether 3 or 5 shots; and I have a reloading room wall papered with small Hornet groups. In fact, I have fired ten shots that went well under 3/4 MOA on at least one occasion.~Andrew

I too shoot a cz 527 with sporting barrel, (im the one Leadpig was talking about earlier),

My Hornet will shoot 3, 5, 10 shot groups at 100 yards, ill shoot 1 - 3 to check zero from time to time, if fist shot goes bang on then i wont bother shooting any more, but i regularly shoot 1/2 moa and am so impressed with the rifles accuracy. Excellent and very capable round for me i say. Love it !!

I too shoot a cz 527 with sporting barrel, (im the one Leadpig was talking about earlier),

My Hornet will shoot 3, 5, 10 shot groups at 100 yards, ill shoot 1 - 3 to check zero from time to time, if fist shot goes bang on then i wont bother shooting any more, but i regularly shoot 1/2 moa and am so impressed with the rifles accuracy. Excellent and very capable round for me i say. Love it !!

My method as well! ~Andrew

Fascinating.

I'd say anyone that --guarantees-- 1/2 MOA with a Ruger 77 needs to take reality pills.

That level of accuracy guarantee is reserved for the very best semi-custom rifles and def not some mass produced factory gun with a less-than-ideal action design.

BTW, 1 in 14 is without doubt fast enough to stabilise a stubby 45gr projectile, even at Hornet vels

Chris-NZ

interesting :lol:

especially when i shot within 1/2' at 100 yards with hornady v-max 35g with my last two shots after scope changing :)

may be of interest but exactly the same gun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AxbrRwvRpY...feature=related

also after a lot of research all the bad reports are from people who try to use 45g+ bullets :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just brought a CZ527 Hornet rifle , and I am thinking of doing a couple of things to make a good rifle even Better .

I am thinking of shortening the barrel a little bit , from 22 to some where around 19-18 inches , and using a suppressor , as well as triming some meat off the bolt handle root , and re-chambering in to a "K" Hornet , as well as floating and bedding the action .

Any comments on the above planned mods ?

Also what sort of bullet weights sould I be looking at ?

I brought this rifle as a ALTERNATIVE 17 hmr , that I could shoot cheap than the 17 .

Cheers Chris

Is there anything you liked about the rifle when you bought it?? :) I would shoot it as it is before I altered it too much. The only thing I did was to bed the front recoil lug as it was in a rather large mortise. Accuracy didn't change but I felt better. The K is a great chambering but CZ does such a nice job with their chambers that I would hesitate to run a reamer into it.

For powders, try Lil Gun of H-110. I like bullets in the 35 grain area with Hornady's V-Max at the top of the list.~Andrew

So far it seems to chamber & eject rounds reliably , I need a crimp die to reload & am waiting on the 35gr bullets and lilgun powder , so it will be a couple of mths before I can relaod well for it .

I want a suppressor , to make it more pleasant for me & the farms I shoot on , so will trim a little because of the suppressor .

I also have to sort out a good scope for it .

Later Chris

Archived