Tyre choice

6mmBR

Just a follow on from the Navara thread.

What tyres would you guys recomend?

Needs to have good capabilty in muddy gateways we would like not to get stuck anymore ;)

But also be civilised on the road as we are about 30 miles from our stalking which requires a stint on the M4.

Also may be a trip or 2 down to visit the Cornish fruit slayers on the cards :P

Any thoughts on all terrain/mud terrain tyres. Not sure full out mud pluggers would suit the M4/M5.

your suggestions will be most welcomed.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Remember its not just the noise issue but the mud terrains can affect the mpg as well.l had a set of Cooper M/T on a Landy and it went from 27/28 mpg down to 22/23 ;) Great tyre though and never got stuck

I just stick to Goodrich A/T now which I find are the best all round compromise

I put a set of Cooper stt's on my defender, they are great in the mud and quiet on the motorway, I have travelled from Kent to Derby a couple of times and they are a great compromise between road/off-road.

Cheers

Neil

I would recommend the BF Goodrich All Terrains also. Not at their best in deep mud but a fantastic all rounder and you will get 40 thousand miles to a set if your conservative. I was driving a new shape navra through the snow just after xmas with these tires fitted and it didnt faulter once even in some snow a foot deep!

Anyone any experience of Big Macho off road tyres?

Just bought a set of 4 Mitsubishi alloys and these are on them, seems a very agressive pattern.

Worth giving them a whirl before putting on any other tyres.

Cheers

Dave

Anyone any experience of Big Macho off road tyres?

Just bought a set of 4 Mitsubishi alloys and these are on them, seems a very agressive pattern.

Worth giving them a whirl before putting on any other tyres.

Cheers

Dave

I have a friend that fitted a set to his Hilux surf, he thought that they were fantastic off road but on the road they were very noisy and decreased his fuel economy from about 30 mpg to about 21 / 22 mpg. They might be worth a try on your car, you might find that they don't affect your vehicle as much.

Cheers Paul, I picked up a set of Mitsubishi alloys with tyres for £200 on evilbay.

I'll see what they are like.

Will I think probably bite the bullet and put BFG M/T on them eventually. However I had Kumo Road Venture M/T's on my old Daihatsu and these were excellent not to noisey either.

Cheers

Dave

Hi 6mmBR BFG AT’s will outlast most other brands, used them on my Patrol, Terrano and both Navara’s; very good on road and pretty good off road as long as you avoid deep mud. They General Grabber AT are also quite good, but you won’t get the same mileage from them as the BFG’s. 60,000 miles is not unusual for BFG’s.

ATB Bob

Hi 6mmBR BFG AT’s will outlast most other brands, used them on my Patrol, Terrano and both Navara’s; very good on road and pretty good off road as long as you avoid deep mud. They General Grabber AT are also quite good, but you won’t get the same mileage from them as the BFG’s. 60,000 miles is not unusual for BFG’s.

ATB Bob

Thanks Bob, I think it will have to be a M/T tyre. We've had problems getting through gateways on the farms these big 4x4 tractors churn up the ground badly filling ruts with deep sticky mud. It just fills the treads of A/T's up and turns them into slicks, we need a more agressive pattern to shed the mud and stop us getting stuck.

Cheers for the reply.

Dave

You could always have an MT on the back and an AT on the front as long as they are the same size.

The AT will brake, corner, wear better than an MT would on the front and the MT will provide the off road grip on the back as well as wearing a bit better because they are going in a straight line all the time.

Cooper STT (mud pattern) are meant to be good and they also do an AT tyre thats more agressive than the BFG / General that is meant to be very good

Having said that i will be putting Grabber on my new shape L200 when the time comes because they are about one third less initially and L200s eat tyres

The machos are very good off road and handle well on the road. You will always get a loud ride with the more agressive treads and the fuel consumption will certainly suffer! However they arent made by greenway anymore (gone bust) so will have to source replacements elsewhere

Dan

I went from using Goodrich All Terains .... to a set of Cooper All Terains

The Goodrich were excellent - lasted ages and a nice balance of tread for on road and off road.

The Cooper all terain are definately more of a a road tyre - and pretty hopeless off road.

Whilst lamping , I have been stuck several times and spent the night in the cab of my shogun , enduring hours of my mates

endless farts and snoring. untill the farmer pulled us out next morning.

Think I will go for a more aggresive tread next change

ATB

Alan

Archived