Stock Coatings

I was just wondering whether any of the stock coatings can effect the feel of a rifle and how tactile it is? It's just that some sythetic stocks are nice and rigid but feel far too plasticky.

Just thought a coating would be a cheaper alternative to re-stocking in a McMil, B&C etc if they provide this added benefit?

Cheers,

Oly

If you mean recoating an injection moulded stock it could get tricky because the materials used are fairly

similar to what release agents are made of. Meaning paints or coatings tend to fall off.

Coating a wooden stock with a layer of glas fibre or carbon fibre especially with epoxy resin works well

and gives a solid feel to it.

Made a carbon coated walnut stock for my sako a few years ago.

DSCN2536.jpg

The plastic feel to a composite stock is a problem. One tries to make the stock feel different

or more solid by changing the surface structure and roughness of the actual paint.

I was experimenting with a lumpy surface under the final layer of duracoat on this ultralight stock

made of 100% carbon fiber. Also the aggresive stipling changes the way it feels.

DSCN0282.jpg

edi

Edi, it would be on a sythetic stock (probably a Savage Accustock...well that's the present thinking!), so would something like duracoat be an option, and would this achieve a nicer feel? The work above looks great, the bottom pic inparticular was something like what I was thinking - but would I end up with something more akin (feel wise) to a McMill, Rem Sendero etc? And what sort of cost is involved?

Cheers,

Oly

The Accustock as far as I know is injection moulded, meaning one must check what material it is made of.

I'd check before buying though, weight and fit with a higher mounted scope could be an issue.

If money is a problem, a pillar bedded walnut or laminated stock might be even better than a accustock.

The timber can be sanded down glassed and duracoated if one wants to, advantage is one can also readjust the shape to

a perfect fit. But one needs to be a bit handy.

Kaleiderscope (Jagersport) on here is an expert for duracoating, not sure what he charges.

The feel of a marble effect Mc Millan will be different because one is touching gelcoat, same as a fiberglass boat. Some

mcmillans and most or all manners stocks are painted.

What about one of those dip companies, that should work on some injection moulded plastics. They might be able to create a

soft touch surface also. Not very durable but grippy. hydro-graphics might have something.

edi

Duracoat do an additive that can be put into any of their paints, which makes the top coat feel rubbery. Just like the finish on the maxguard bell and carlsons. Its just come out, and we were just too late to add any to our last order which came 2 weeks ago. I will be putting some on the next however.

So is this like to be my best (inc. value) plan of action? To be honest I really like walnut stocks, but can't find anywhere that sell them as aftermarket stocks like you can find synthetic stocks...plus the extra cost etc (I'm guessing a wood stock wouldn't be cheaper than duracoat?)...

Archived