What part/s of a rifle are licenced?

I've always been under the impression that the action of the rifle is licenced and therefore needs to be on your ticket, with the barrel, stock, trigger etc as non licenced parts. But now with easily interchange'able barrels that can be swapped by joe public in five minutes has this legislation changed, or was I incorrect in the first place?

I've always been under the impression that the action of the rifle is licenced and therefore needs to be on your ticket, with the barrel, stock, trigger etc as non licenced parts. But now with easily interchange'able barrels that can be swapped by joe public in five minutes has this legislation changed, or was I incorrect in the first place?

if it is chambered it has to be listed on your licence, just the same as a rifle

On my fac, my Sako quad is listed by its serial number on the action. The .17hmr barrel i have for it is also listed on my fac. The .22lr barrel however is not.

When i bought the rifle, it had the 22 barrel attached to it and as such the purchase got listed by the action serial number as any other rifle would be . Do i now illegally own a barrel when it's not attached to the rifle ??

baldie Posted Today, 09:47 AM

"Also any component part of the RIFLE, that bears a proof mark, such as the bolt. "

None of by bolts have proof marks on them.... :lol:

On my fac, my Sako quad is listed by its serial number on the action. The .17hmr barrel i have for it is also listed on my fac. The .22lr barrel however is not.

When i bought the rifle, it had the 22 barrel attached to it and as such the purchase got listed by the action serial number as any other rifle would be . Do i now illegally own a barrel when it's not attached to the rifle ??

baldie Posted Today, 09:47 AM

"Also any component part of the RIFLE, that bears a proof mark, such as the bolt. "

None of by bolts have proof marks on them.... :lol:

Do you have a slot for a .22LR on your ticket ??

Hi

if you have 22 lr on your licence then the barrel is listed on your licence. (if you sold the barrel you would just have an action left and would be asked where your barrel that goes with the action was)

so no you are not in position of an illegal barrel

ATB

Colin

If the bolt has been in a gun thats been proof tested in the UK, then it should have a proof stamp on it. If its CIP tested, ie europe then i dont think they stamp the bolt head.

If I remember right, only the (removable) barrel has a serial number on the Blaser R93 and similar models. Nevertheless, even though the receiver unit and bolt aren't numbered, you you still have to have authority to possess one. In such cases, the item is verbally described and listed as 'NVN' (no visible number).

Years back I had a .303" Ross Mk 3 service rifle and its s/n was impressed into the walnut buttstock with nothing anywhere on the metal. Another Ross owner told me he had no end of bother from one copper on FAC renewal as the said fellow in blue was convinced there had to be a stamped number somewhere on the action or barrel, and made the owner strip the rifle down so he could minutely inspect every part to find the 'mandatory s/n'.

Archived