Anyone on here shoot 17Rem ?

Barrelsniffer

Im thinking of getting my 17rem out soon.as its a shame being locked up for so long, i have a load using Vit 135. but last time i shot it ,it wasnt the best of loads.

If there are any guys on here that can share a sweet load that i can obv work below from and work up.

I will be using 25 grn v-max heads

Much appreciated.

Mick

I use one regularly and use the 25gr hpt Hornady over 24.5 grs Hodgdon Varget, Rem Cases, Rem7 1/2 primers and std overall length, this gives over 4100fps in my rifle ( Remington lvsf ) and one hole groups at 100 yds, better than an inch at 200yds. It is the top load but no pressure signs and good accuracy. The hollow points are devastating at all ranges, so I havent bothered with the 25gr Vmax yet. but the load data is the same anyway.

I have played around with seating depth from .020" off the lands right out to standard length and it was better at std saami lentgh.

Redfox

mickey finn,

What twist barrel do you have? I've heard that the 25 gr v-max requires a 9 twist, even in a 17 rem. Certainly in anything slower than that. Most 17 Rem I've seen listed are at a 10 twist.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick.

Ive had the rifle a no of yrs now.its a Model 700 VS SF (Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted) as for the twist rate.top of my head im not sure.as i cant check as im not in UK at mo.as i work away which is why it hardly gets used as much as it should.i usually use one of my other rifles when i head out.but will be using it next time im home if i can work a good load up.

Mick

I've not tried the 25 gr v-max but have used the following with vv 135 with federal 205m primers,

24.5gr + 20gr v-max =4400 fps

23.5gr+25gr bergers= 4000 fps

21.5gr+30gr bergers=3750 fps

MICKY.your twist rate is probably 1-10 you will get the 25gn vmaxs to shoot but with a little work.i have a tikka that got a new lilja 1-9 tube on it 3yrs ago i had it chambered with a reamer specifically for 20gn bullets but it still shoots 25-30gns with great accuracy.

over the years i have owned a .17rem -14 to be exact all the testing i have done i found the one biggest spanner in the works is seating depth getting the bullet started right makes them shoot right,all that velocity needs to be used to your advantage. if you get a load that fills the case to as near the neck as possible but not compressed thats a plus .the remington case holds about 29gns of water so 24-27gns is your aim with whatever powder wont blow you up.

good case fillers for the .17 are varget,h380 ,h414.vihtn135 my favourite powder for a 20vmax. and if you can get some AA2700 THIS WILL NEARLY FILL THE CASE but give good velocity and decent pressure.when you find a powder that gives good constant results start to alter seating depth i found going from jam to short is best as i think the 25vmax likes a little jump .

as a side note i have a cooper fireball onits way that is going to shoot 25-30gn bullets-1-10twist.

as i had a.17fb i have the load data already worked out.if you want some load data for the 25 gn let me know.

MICKY.your twist rate is probably 1-10 you will get the 25gn vmaxs to shoot but with a little work.i have a tikka that got a new lilja 1-9 tube on it 3yrs ago i had it chambered with a reamer specifically for 20gn bullets but it still shoots 25-30gns with great accuracy.

over the years i have owned a .17rem -14 to be exact all the testing i have done i found the one biggest spanner in the works is seating depth getting the bullet started right makes them shoot right,all that velocity needs to be used to your advantage. if you get a load that fills the case to as near the neck as possible but not compressed thats a plus .the remington case holds about 29gns of water so 24-27gns is your aim with whatever powder wont blow you up.

good case fillers for the .17 are varget,h380 ,h414.vihtn135 my favourite powder for a 20vmax. and if you can get some AA2700 THIS WILL NEARLY FILL THE CASE but give good velocity and decent pressure.when you find a powder that gives good constant results start to alter seating depth i found going from jam to short is best as i think the 25vmax likes a little jump .

as a side note i have a cooper fireball onits way that is going to shoot 25-30gn bullets-1-10twist.

as i had a.17fb i have the load data already worked out.if you want some load data for the 25 gn let me know.

Hi Gary thanks for your mess..17 seems a very fussy cal to load,,ive heard that rem 7-1/2 primers are best ones to use am i correct ?

And yes if you dont mind sending us what lod data you have.

My email is ...... mickyfinn34@hotmail.com

And many thanks to all the guys for there input on this post.

Mick

Hi Gary thanks for your mess..17 seems a very fussy cal to load,,ive heard that rem 7-1/2 primers are best ones to use am i correct ?

And yes if you dont mind sending us what lod data you have.

My email is ...... mickyfinn34@hotmail.com

And many thanks to all the guys for there input on this post.

Mick

micky rem71/2 get my nod-but as any reloading geek[me including] will tell you find a good load then find a better one,so in between i have tested many brands of primer without a chrono the results on paper are very similar so i use 7/12.i did find however that with varget i couldnt get my desired results this was i think due to primer choice .i was in HENRY KRANKS one day when the lad behind the counter asked me if i had tried the privi primers and gave me 100 to try,the first load i tried them with was the varget load the first 3 shots went into .220@100yds and 5 gave me .465 and these were cheap as chips primers.daft thing is i dont like varget in the .17 but its there as a back up load.buy a few primers and test each load to see a variance.i will dig some load info out an pm you it rather than post it.

cheers gary

micky i cant pm you i have tried to contact an administrator to clarify but i cant even e-mail them?if any moderators read this can they help me?.thanks gary

micky i cant pm you i have tried to contact an administrator to clarify but i cant even e-mail them?if any moderators read this can they help me?.thanks gary

Cheers alled12 i will check when i get home tomoz what twist rate it is..and may just try some 30.s if i can find any.

Gary here is my email mate..... mickyfinn34@hotmail.com.....

Mick

• 4 weeks later...
Micky

I think that model had a 1 in 9 twist which would allow you to shoot the 30 grain bergers if you fancied something different.

Hi mate

Bergers do they come in 100 or 200 in a box as ive heard 200 ? didnt ask when i enquired as thought it would be 100 but when he said 58 quid a box....i quickly dropped te subject..lol

Mick

Hi mate

Bergers do they come in 100 or 200 in a box as ive heard 200 ? didnt ask when i enquired as thought it would be 100 but when he said 58 quid a box....i quickly dropped te subject..lol

Mick

200 per box.

Archived