Which moderator - MYM or ASE?

Just wondering on people's opinons of these two mods, both SS, both do over barrel (ASE Northstar), both self contained.

From what I have found;

Northstar - great track record through the ASE S5 etc, no bushings, nice dull stainless finish, smaller than the MYM

MYM - great track record regarding design, lighter than the ASE (I think?), cheaper than the ASE, but has bushings and is very shiny

What would your preference be and why? Have you any further info?

I have the ASE S5 at present, and it's a superb mod, but just wondering if there is any real reason to go for an MYM on the next rifle over another ASE?

Guest Scotland Rifles
Just wondering on people's opinons of these two mods, both SS, both do over barrel (ASE Northstar), both self contained.

From what I have found;

Northstar - great track record through the ASE S5 etc, no bushings, nice dull stainless finish, smaller than the MYM

MYM - great track record regarding design, lighter than the ASE (I think?), cheaper than the ASE, but has bushings and is very shiny

What would your preference be and why? Have you any further info?

I have the ASE S5 at present, and it's a superb mod, but just wondering if there is any real reason to go for an MYM on the next rifle over another ASE?

well i have not long had a ase jet z proofed for a 6.5 cal, and its on my steyr pro hunter MKII and all i can say is forget the cost and look at the results,

i had a t8 on before and it was good but believe it or not the barrel got hotter faster and held the heat longer than it does now with the ase,

i would never go back to a t8 even thou i think they are a good moderator.

just my 2 penneth worth

bob.

Why not go for the DM80.

They are completely strippable.........the whole job.

Got one on my .223.

.22 rimmy

They are great and out do the T8s by miles.

Can be done in brushed finish if you like things shiney but not super shiney.....

Why not go for the DM80.

They are completely strippable.........the whole job.

Got one on my .223.

.22 rimmy

They are great and out do the T8s by miles.

Can be done in brushed finish if you like things shiney but not super shiney.....

Why on earth are some people keen to strip moderators? I can understand the need to clean a rimfire moderator, due to the grease from the bullet coatings and the unburnt powder, but I wouldn't strip a centrefire moderator.

I also have an S5. I'll try an Ase Utra Jet Z next. I don't like over-barrel moderators.

I have a CQB magnum on the front of my 7mm rem mag, excellent, a little heavy but excellent results. Nice and compact doesnt add to much to the length. Tames my magnum to 22-250 levels nice. I cant understand the need for strippable mods either but hey its personal choice.

I'm a little worried about mods that you can strip following Mr Norris telling me about one blowing up in his face...blinded for two days!! :ph34r:

Archived