6PPC

Alycidon

The harder you drive this round the better the accuracy is in mine. These days my normal load is;

Lapua 220 Russian brass reformed; 29.5gr xN133; Fed 205, 65gr VMax or 68gr FBHP Barts match or 55gr NBT all 2 thou off the lands. This load is maximum case capacity and comes up the neck a bit usually.

Speeds vary from about 3280fps to 3380fps depending on temperature and bullet. Intend to try BR4 primers with it when I get though my heap of 205s. Accuracy is .2/.3 usually given good conditions althought the barrel is opening up a bit now.

Dont try this load in any other case than Lapua, Norma and Sako have a smaller capacity.

A

The harder you drive this round the better the accuracy is in mine. These days my normal load is;

Lapua 220 Russian brass reformed; 29.5gr xN133; Fed 205, 65gr VMax or 68gr FBHP Barts match or 55gr NBT all 2 thou off the lands. This load is maximum case capacity and comes up the neck a bit usually.

Speeds vary from about 3280fps to 3380fps depending on temperature and bullet. Intend to try BR4 primers with it when I get though my heap of 205s. Accuracy is .2/.3 usually given good conditions althought the barrel is opening up a bit now.

Dont try this load in any other case than Lapua, Norma and Sako have a smaller capacity.

A

Thank you for sharing your load data

I bought a cooper 6PPC USA last week but deperating scouring for case as we speak

I suppose if there is no offering thn I will have to fireform from 220 russian

Do you mind sharing your procedure when fireforiming from 220 russian ?

The previous owener advise me the load was 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip with 26.5 grain of H332

If you have a 1 in 12 then OK but most PPCs are 1 in 14 so ideal for 68s, and fine for everything below that. 70s in mine were not that bright, about MOA.

I expanded the necks in a single pass expander die using plenty of Imperial sizing wax lube, I just pushed each neck into the wax then expanded it. I lost three in forming due to not enough lube.

I then neck turned each case using a K&M turner and later added an electric screwdriver, I used to do about 10 a night, anymore and my hands hurt hence the screwdriver. Problem was I kept the tool in a cold garage, I would put it away one day fine, get it out the next day and find it was cutting to much off, that was due to the tool being cold, cost another 5 or 6 cases before I got to the bottom of that one.

The neck in my rifle is .270, same as yours from memory. I was advised that loaded neck clearance needed to be between 1 and 2 thou and never under a thou. To allow for possable oversize bullets I finished with .2684 loaded neck diameter giving me 1.6 thou of clearance. This is arrived by adding bullet dia .2430 to twice the neck thickness .0127, this needs to be measured accuratly with a good quality neck micrometer.

I am planning to shoot some Barts Ultras when my ordinary Barts run out, they have a driving band of .2435 I think so I am on bottom limit with them.

I chamfered the ends of the necks then loaded them with 26.5 gr N133 and Barts 68 gr bullets and shot some fantastic groups, one of which I have never bettered. Use the FF loads as fox stoppers etc, do not waste the barrel life. After about 7 or 8 firings each I have never needed to trim them, they seem to shrink lengthwise a bit on fireforming

H322 (not 332) is the other powder usually used in the PPC, I do have a tub but never used it and as a result am using it up in my 20BR under light bullets. Its slightly cooler than N133.

I think I use a .266 bush but would need to check.

If you want to come and have a play then you are welcome or even borrow the tools if you want. I would be very interested in your 30BR.

Hope that helps.

A

If you have a 1 in 12 then OK but most PPCs are 1 in 14 so ideal for 68s, and fine for everything below that. 70s in mine were not that bright, about MOA.

I expanded the necks in a single pass expander die using plenty of Imperial sizing wax lube, I just pushed each neck into the wax then expanded it. I lost three in forming due to not enough lube.

I then neck turned each case using a K&M turner and later added an electric screwdriver, I used to do about 10 a night, anymore and my hands hurt hence the screwdriver. Problem was I kept the tool in a cold garage, I would put it away one day fine, get it out the next day and find it was cutting to much off, that was due to the tool being cold, cost another 5 or 6 cases before I got to the bottom of that one.

The neck in my rifle is .270, same as yours from memory. I was advised that loaded neck clearance needed to be between 1 and 2 thou and never under a thou. To allow for possable oversize bullets I finished with .2684 loaded neck diameter giving me 1.6 thou of clearance. This is arrived by adding bullet dia .2430 to twice the neck thickness .0127, this needs to be measured accuratly with a good quality neck micrometer.

I am planning to shoot some Barts Ultras when my ordinary Barts run out, they have a driving band of .2435 I think so I am on bottom limit with them.

I chamfered the ends of the necks then loaded them with 26.5 gr N133 and Barts 68 gr bullets and shot some fantastic groups, one of which I have never bettered. Use the FF loads as fox stoppers etc, do not waste the barrel life. After about 7 or 8 firings each I have never needed to trim them, they seem to shrink lengthwise a bit on fireforming

H322 (not 332) is the other powder usually used in the PPC, I do have a tub but never used it and as a result am using it up in my 20BR under light bullets. Its slightly cooler than N133.

I think I use a .266 bush but would need to check.

If you want to come and have a play then you are welcome or even borrow the tools if you want. I would be very interested in your 30BR.

Hope that helps.

A

WOW

Thanks for the effort and time in providing so much details and sharing your valuable experience.

6 PPC

Absolutely menmerised by what is said about this caliber and cannot wait to shoot it. I was promised 9 free cases from another member and is still waiting to get me going. I think I will fireform from 220 Russian. I am neck trimming with my old 6 x 47 Lapua already hence I feel a little confident to attempt this.

My barrel is a shillen 1 in 14 built by Cooper themselves at the factory.

I have been in touch with G & C bullets in UK and they make a 68 grain with choice of differnet ogive. Peter who runs that company was selling a sako 6PPC 1 year ago and is very helpful with infomation. I would love to support a british company if they are making somehting that will perform. Have you tried them ? I obtained their address from Vince's website.

I also heard from 02 friends in canada stating that MOST PPC will perform 1 in 14 T with 69 grains but NOT t 70 grains. I understnad it is on the borderline of the envelope and even though it is 02 grain in difference the differnecein curvature of 70 grain will NOT be stabilised for competition purposes. However it is Just acceptable for varminting.

The pervious owner used 70 NBT with 26.5 grain of H322 (correct) touhing the lands.

I plan to shoot 68 grain with 133 and I will start from 25.5 grains

Thank you for invitating I will PM you sometime

I will post later about the 30BR

Ray will send those cases, dont worry.

When I had the rifle built Bergers were in short supply so the builder sent these Barts which I was aware of through BR sites and Sinclair. They shoot well but in boxes of 1000 not the sort of thing you buy that often.

I to thought 70s would be OK but for a 1 in 14 not so, I would not waste time and barrel life even trying, for foxes look no further than the 65gr VMax but match bullets also kill them well enough as will 55gr NBTs, just not quite as dramatic.

Loading into the lands will increase the pressure a bit, you might want to think about being a couple of thou off the lands at least to start with, you also dont run the risk of pulling a bullet out of a case and filling the action with powder. Competition shooters rarely have to unload a live round hence being into the lands is more common.

A

London,

i used exclusively 68grn JLK and Bergers in my 1-14 twist Norman clark built Heavy Varmint class 6mmPPC BR rifle, untill before one weekend match neither of these bullets were available, so i had to settle for 70grn SMK's.

With these bullets i shot my smallest group ever in the practice round, 0.064" for 5 shots @100yds and scored a second place in the match with an aggreagte of 0.314"

For me 70 grn SMKs worked very well indeed. :P

Ian.

Sounds a pretty fair deal, being non expanding he can post them as well if needed. If you wanted to compare I have some Ultras and the standard Barts as well.

Might be as well to check the driving band diameter, Ultras are .2435.

When I checked the Barts site for that Ultra info I see my standard Barts are .24325, just as well I allowed that half thou when neck turning. I had been working on 0.2430 perhaps they have changed, sure mine are .2430,

A

• 9 months later...

Just want to say thanks to all who helped to get me off the ground with cases and info

Despite the weather I manage to spend a session with the PPC and GHUBERT was there to assist as well ! thanks

My final load is 27.5 grains of v133 throwing 68 grain G & C flat base

I don't know what happen to the flyer - heat , shooter (i.e. the idiot who wrote this) or my RCBS throwing a tisie ...

I manage to shoot 02 more cards all with similar pattern 3 + 1 group

Below is the best group and the worst was a fraction looser than this card ALL UNDER 0.2 inches

Interesting to note the velocity

the flyer was 3174 fps

the others were 3252 3244 3244 ............

864ecef5.jpg

b5f12234.jpg

Hi,

I use 28.5 of vit 133 in my 1 in 12 twist sako 75 6mm ppc,,,

better results than 27.5g

It really likes burger 69g bullets and the 68 g&c

Just toughing the lands,,

this load has just wom me the ukbra diggle sporting rifle championship,,,

if you need any more info just let me know??

I will try and post some pic,s if you want??

All the best Darrel

I use 28.5 of vit 133 in my 1 in 12 twist sako 75 6mm ppc,,,

better results than 27.5g

Funny you should say that

I have another target where it shot 0.20's with 28.5 grains of powder. However the velocity increase was only another 40 fps.

I am jamming them at the moment.

Spoke to George of G & C and he suggest that I should work on that aspect to get more consistancy

What I really want to do is to get hold of some 8208 XBR when it lands ......................you know what I am talking about ?

• 3 weeks later...

London Hunter,

The G&Cs are a great bullet but the latest output are a little 'fat' on the swell-ring on the base. Many UK benchresters use them - as good as anything from the USA. Standard 6PPC load (with 66-68gn bullet) is usually 28.5 to 29.5 of Vit 133. Federal primers are the most popular.

Most benchresters fireform their 220 Russian without bullets - to save on bullets and barrel life. If you want to know how to do it, please e-mail me on vinceb@6ppc.fsnet.co.uk

Cheers

Vince

Archived