Foxing with two triples and the Gamekeeper

kip270

Well my shift patterns and the weather have finally worked out well, I'm free every evening this week and there is no moon, so Sunday evening was the first chance we would have.

I picked up the keeper at 20:30, and we up the farm by 9pm, the plan of action was too drive around in the vehicle to some vantage points and then walk some of the ground, so by the time we had everything ready it must have been 21:15, we headed for the first point and I was lamping out of the window.

Having driven for 50 yards we spotted our first fox some 300 yards up towards the wood, so we parked by a barn and got out with me on the lamp and my brother in-law with his .222.

The plan was to try and make some ground up before we lamped, we managed to get to within 250 yards and had a look, the Fox was still sat by the fence, so we tried to make up the extra 50 yards and get ready for the shot. I scanned with the lamp and the fox was heading down the lane towards us, great we thought, but at the last minute he jumped into the hedge and was making off to our left towards another wood.

We had managed to get to a thick fence post, so Nell rested on it ready for the shot, I shouted at the fox and he paused broadside, "BANG", at the shot he jumped and yelped and started to make off to the left, so we were in pursuit. He wasn't making off that well so it was a good hit, but we wanted it on the spot.

As we made our way in the terrain made it harder to get another shot off the bi-pod, then a bit of luck the fox tried to get to higher ground, I shouted again and stopped him, this time the 50grain sako found its mark. A big smelly dog fox with plenty of battle scars too.

A good result, having only been up the farm for 20mins and our first fox.

107_0059.jpg

There was nothing else about, so we headed over to the other side of the shoot, and down to a lovely valley that may draw out a fox with the aid of the FoxPro.

As we were driving into position, I was still scanning from the passenger side and spotted a fox 300 yards away led down along the edge of the wood in front of us, but only looking at us now and again.

We left the vehicle running and got out to get ready, this time I would be shooting, so we were set and got to within 200 yards and got down on the bi-pod. The fox was looking at us and then away, so I settled down and waited, the next time it looked at us I settled the crosshairs on its head and squeezed off my shot and saw it tip over on its side in the scope.

107_0060.jpg

I stood up and reloaded, and we took five steps when we spotted another one to our left 200 yards away, so back down and settled for the shot, I settled on its head and squeezed off my shot. I didn't see the fox drop this time but Nell thought he saw it turn and run off. So we headed up to the first one and a nice Vixen, and then over to the tree where my second was and another Vixen was down, a good result, two Vixens and a Dog fox.

107_0062.jpg

We got back to the vehicle and worked out what we were going to do next, I said I would lamp and Nell could shoot, so we locked up the jeep and made our way 30 yards to a gateway, this time to set the FoxPro out on a Fox rally, seems that we had just had two vixens close together, we may call in a dog fox.

I put the call on and scanned in front of, and there was another fox 345 yards away by a big muck clamp. The field we were going to walk in was still shin high old maize, so it wasn't the quietest, but we made good ground and got within range, but as Nell led down the fox heard us and made off over the back of the muck heap.

We got to the muck heap and spotted the fox further out in the field so slowly we tried to make our way in and close the distance, the wind was in our favour , and we were making good ground, but then as we closed in the fox went further back.

Finally the fox stopped and looked at us, so we quickly made some ground and Nell led down for the shot, he squeezed off his shot and the fox leapt into the air and ran off to our right, we quickly made ground and got into position for another shot but the fox turned and made off to the left, but never stopped for another shot, so Nell had a crack but the fox managed to make it to a thick copse. We got to the point where it went into the wood, and found plenty of fresh blood, but didn't manage to find the fox!!!!!! The hounds are up the farm on Saturday so they should find it.

I had a shot at another fox but missed it, so a check of zero is immanent.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Sounds like it was a great night out Kip! I also am a member of the triple deuce fan club :)

i love the triple /a legend in my eyes only true foxers own one.just bought a hw 66 with a heavy barrel and double set trigger /foxing classic seems over looked today /speer tnts desighed for it a true 250 yard gun /lapua brass /powers reloder 7 and h4198 own the 222/vapour trail hitman

Archived