Re-loading manual?

Toots

Can some of you guys shed some light on a re-loading manual to give the novice re-loader (me) an understanding of the complex world of "rolling your own"? Too many books on amazon and too many nice looking gadgets in the shops that I might or might not need to develop an optimal load for my rifle (.223 steyr). When I understand what is involved I will no doubt be back for more advice as to what type of such and such to buy. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Toots

I recall that Varminter did an excellent post on the old site about the basics of home loading, if you cannot retrieve that, I suggest that you go to the RCBS site, it used to have a step by step guide on the home loading process in simple terms.

You need the following equipment at least:

a, press,

b, dies set to suit calibre (either full length or Neck size)

c, Scales - measuring grains

d, powder measure,

e, powder trickler

f, de burring tool,

g, priming tool.

h, dial calipers,

i, comparator.

J, SAFETY GLASSES

k, case holder to suit press and cartridge

I may have missed something out,, but thats the bare bones of whats required.

If you cannot find a decent source of info on the subject, heres a basic guide:

Mount the press on a substantial bench, set up the sizing die as per manufactureres instructions.

CHECK EACH CASE YOU INTENT TO RELOAD HAS BEEN FIRED.

Apply a light coating of sizing lube to the neck and body of all the cases. Inference on LIGHT here!

Insert used case in press, pull lever, to full extent of travel, de-priming old primer and re-sizing case in one movement, raise lever to top, remove re sized case.

Put to one side, repeat for all cases.

Take your de burriung tool, using the pointy end de bur the inside of the case neck with two or three light twists, turn the tool over and using the strange shaped "star" do the same to the outside of the case neck.

Repeat for all cases.

Use a piece of scotchbrite, lightly twist the neck of each case on the pad to remove all traces of burrs.

repeat for all cases.

If you have bought a primer pocket tool, use this to de-carbon all the primer pocket seats.

Clean all cases with a clean cloth to remove all traces of lube.

Re prime your cases, remembering to wear safety glasses.

Set up the powder measure and scale as per manufactuerers instructions and choose a SUITIABLE powder and charge weight for YOUR chosen bullet weight and cartridge.

Measure each charge INDIVIDUALLY, (decant using the powder measure onto the scale, (throw a light charge) and then "trickle" the remainder of the charge up to the PRECISE weight using the trickler.

Place the charge of powder into the case using a funnel and set that case to one side in a case rack.

repeat for all cases, PAYING ATTENTION TO WHICH ARE LOADED AND WHICH ARE NOT.

You are now ready to seat your bullets. (I am assuming you know your OAL of loaded rounds)

Set up the seater die as per manufactuerers instructions.

Raise the seating stem on the seater so it is fairly high.

Place a charged case in the case holder on the press and a bullet in the mouth of the case. Gently hold the bullet with one hand and GENTLY lower the lever paying attention to the FINGERS which are holding the bullet. Once the ram has raised the bullet into the mouth of the seater - LET GO, or your fingers will drop on the floor - you'll also mess up the carpet!

Lower the lever to the extent of travel and raise it up, the bullet should have engaged in the case mouth, but will not be seated to the OAL.

You now need to measure the seated bullet and compare it to what is required for YOUR RIFLES OAL.

Ajust the seater die CAREFULLY and re seat that bullet - measuring again and making any necessary ajustments to the seater stem position.

Once you have attained the correct seat depth, lock off the seater stem and seat all remaining bullets into charged cases.

You have now loaded your own ammunition.

If your'e not confident with this process, DON't DO IT, get a mate who loads to show you and then get him to run through setting up your'e own reloading press and dies.

NEVER do more than one thing at once while loading, it just aint worth making a mistake :)

The easist way is to get someone to show you hands on how to do the job. If you indicate roughly where you are in the Uk and how far you would be prepared to travel I am sure someone will step forward. If you are in the east midlands I am showing a guy how to reload 22.250 shortly, principal is the same just different dies, powder etc.

A

I collect and read reloading manuals and have them dating back to 1905. The best manual for the novice (and not so novice) that I have found is Modern Reloading (Vol2) by Richard Lee. Their data comes from powder manufacturers -always more valuable than that of bullet makers- and it has lots of text on pressures, accuracy loading, and the like. Yes, there is the sales pitch for Lee equipment, but that aside, it is a huge amount of information for the reloader. I have Vol 1 and 2 and have read both cover to cover. Great reading. JMHO~Andrew

Archived