I'll start this one off then.

ajw

:rolleyes:

Here we go then. Before I leave this land I always wanted a .50BMG. Anyway, my wish was granted a couple of months ago in the form of a State Arms "Big Bertha", that came along with the full re-loading kit at a very attractive price!! The recommended load was:

218gr of Hogdon's 50BMG,

750gr A-MAX

This gives me about a 5-6" group at 1000yds that will always keep me smiling ;):D

Cheers, Andy

:D

Here we go then. Before I leave this land I always wanted a .50BMG. Anyway, my wish was granted a couple of months ago in the form of a State Arms "Big Bertha", that came along with the full re-loading kit at a very attractive price!! The recommended load was:

218gr of Hogdon's 50BMG,

750gr A-MAX

This gives me about a 5-6" group at 1000yds that will always keep me smiling :D :D

Cheers, Andy

Jesus..........puts my 24gr Varget and 70gr Speer Soft Point 223 to shame..... Still. least my groups are better than yours............

Doh...........just noticed you had an extra 0 in your Yds................... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

biggrin.gif

218gr of Hogdon's 50BMG,

750gr A-MAX

This gives me about a 5-6" group at 1000yds that will always keep me smiling biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Cheers, Andy

Wonder what it would do to a rabbit lol

• 6 months later...

If only , iv been a fan of the 12.7 for years, it would cost a fortune to run one , even compared to 338Lm ! My dream would be to go long-distance hunting in south Africa sniping babboons / vultures / hyenas . actually a 338Lm would suffice lol

Ha! Yes, not the most accurate of rounds compared to 338Lapua, or some other large caliber rounds, there are some videos on YouTube showing rabbits being hit with a 50cal, not as much damage as you would expect although all targets are clearly dead! There is however, a clip of a headshot deer, it reminds me of a scene from The Terminator where the "liquid metal" chap gets shot with a 12 bore, quite messy and quite unnecessary really.

Any way Bradders, where are my 5 Magpul rail covers?!

biggrin.gif

218gr of Hogdon's 50BMG,

750gr A-MAX

This gives me about a 5-6" group at 1000yds that will always keep me smiling biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Cheers, Andy

Andy,

I take it you are shooting at Warcop? You need to be coming to some of our training days and see what it can do on paper.

My current 50 load of preference is using El Col 50 powder, 240gr and 770gr EP projectiles. RWS primers and cbc brass.

Ill see you on the 30th if you are there (and they have lifted the 50 restriction)

Mike

Just sat wondering, has anyone actually worked out the rough cost of a 50bmg or 338 Lapua per shot? I would be very interested to know if possible,

Cheers

50bmg =

New CBC brass £1.20 New RWS brass £5.00 New Lapua Brass 4.89

Primers work out at about 23p or 27p depending on muron or rws

powder about £1

Projecfiles, Amax are about £4 each or cnc turned solids with a much higher bc and consistency are only £1.80

you can get once fired brass for 40p and pulled fmj projectiles for 50p.

My 338s, lapua brass 300/100 or ruag once fired 30p a case. Lapua sceners are 64/100 and primers 44/1000. Powder works out at 86p/round.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

50bmg =

New CBC brass £1.20 New RWS brass £5.00 New Lapua Brass 4.89

Primers work out at about 23p or 27p depending on muron or rws

powder about £1

Projecfiles, Amax are about £4 each or cnc turned solids with a much higher bc and consistency are only £1.80

you can get once fired brass for 40p and pulled fmj projectiles for 50p.

My 338s, lapua brass 300/100 or ruag once fired 30p a case. Lapua sceners are 64/100 and primers 44/1000. Powder works out at 86p/round.

Mike

Now 40 pence for once fired is very good , considering when someone asked on here where can they get new 50 brass , i posted that somewhere had RWS new 50 brass but for a box of 20or 25 it was 125 quid ! :o

Archived