Slip on moderator for .22lr heavy barrel

Does anyone know if anyone still makes slip on moderators for rimfires? I'm looking for one to fit over a heavy barrel .22lr

I'm interested in some long distance bunny bashing with a target .22lr over the summer, hence I don't want a screw cut mod. A little different I know...but just think of it as scaled down long distance game shooting!

I doubt such an animal exists. Think about it, with a slip on, there's no guarantee that there will be perfect aligment between muzzle and moderator bullet path. If the bullet strikes the edge of any facet of the mod it's likely to tear the mod from the barrel.

Extremely dangerous i would have thought.

Even if the mod "entrance" had a wide taper to guide the bullet through the body, what sort of accuracy would you have..?

A non starter IMHO....

I used to have a slip on for an air rifle but a 22LR develops far higher pressures and energies.

Having said that both moddies on my rimmies screw to a bush that slips over the barrel tightly and clamps in a groove with a small allan key. Neither of my barrrels are threaded. Theoben made them for their rimmys when they did some in the late 80s. The moddy they used was their air rifle one, I had tested the prototype on my 10/22 for 2 years before they launched it into the air rifle market.

So in short a Theoben air rifle silencer with a fine female thread of about 24mm does work and work well but you will need to get your own adaptor bush made up from aircraft grade ali or similar. That is childs play for a decent engineering shop or more than a few members here with the correct equipment. Ian (vermincinerator) has seen and shot both of them. I dont know if these moddys are still available or if the design has changed, their one piece plastic baffle stack is fine for 22LR use, put 1000s of subbies through mine. I do know that the polished ali outer tube was discontinued years ago.

A

We had a large batch made years ago, and they worked just fine. They were made for the unthreaded carbon volquartsen,s / butler creeks etc. I sold the very last one two weeks ago.

Not a problem adapting something for any competant machinist.

Just my luck that the last one was recently sold! Any ideas where I could find another? Alternatively have you any pictures so I know exactly what I'm after getting made? That said, if you know what the beast is Baldie, what would it cost for you to make something up?

Here you are, one for sale but the adaptor will be a different size most likely.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...mp;#entry956429

Just checked the Theoben site, there are now several moddys, one I was talking about is the Vortex

http://www.theoben.co.uk/home.php?cat=13

Not sure if thats the one this guy is selling.

A

• 1 month later...

I was reading in Sporting Rifle recently about a guy who uses an old Air Arms plastic mod on his heavy barrelled Annie. Does anyone know which one this would be, or if they still make it?

Foxing2nights adaptor wouldn't fit, the barrel is fluted out to nearly an inch! Would the Vortex cope with this size?

The Shilen barrel on my 10/22 is .920 dia, not quite sure if its the same at the muzzel without measuring it but I think so..

There are probaby four or five guys reading this that could of you asked them build you the adaptor you require in exchange for some folding beer tokens!!, They would need accurate barrel ODs and thread size. Pretty sure all you would have to do is ask.

A

Cheers guys! Now, bearing in mind that I have recently sold my calipers with all my reloading gear ( ;) ), I am reckoning the outside diameter of the end section of the barrel (as it's fluted for the last few inches) is 24mm.

Any good Baldie?? Or shall I start asking around for a custom job? Thread I'm not too fussed about...I think most rimmy mods are 1/2"UNF aren't they?? Probably best/easiest to go with the most popular??

Many thanks again,

Oly

http://www.theoben.co.uk/product.php?productid=27

The Vortex has a male thread on the barrel fitting that screws into the female threads on each end of the main part of the moddy body. You need an adaptor that will slip tightly over your barrel and be held in place with a grub screw and the other end will screw straight onto the main body of the moddy.

Be as well to check that is how they still make them though.

A

Cheers guys, doubt the Theoben will do it though - "Our Silencers & Barrel Weights will only fit unthreaded barrels with a diameter of 16mm or 5/8"...my barrel is 0.89in outside diameter.

Dave thought he had found the solution to my answer, but it wasn't quite right in the end.

Any other leads/ideas??

Thanks for all the input so far, greatly appreciated.

Oly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived