Help - What ultimate varminting calibee ???????

I'm returning to shooting having had a break. Previously had a fabulous Anschutz in .17HMR and a custom .204 Ruger which was frankly disappointing. The practical side of me suggests a .223 with 40 grainers but I like the idea of a .20Tac which has more clout than a .17Fireball. 22-250 is too much. Single shot spec. The permissions I have will cover it. Range 100 - 350 yards, vermin including fox. Budget - flexible. Thoughts please.

Hi Dave,

Are you saying that you found the 204 cartridge dissappointing or the rifle itself?

The 20 Tac is ballisticly similar, if you want superior ballistics in a .20 you need to look at the .20BR.

However IMO and many others will agree, the 6mmBR is probably the best varmint cartridge for UK style varmint shooting.

Ian.

A 223 would do the trick but it's a bit boring really.

For my 2p I'd go for the 17 Ackley Hornet on the basis that it's quiet, cheap to run, amazingly accurate, gives you a light gun and with almost no recoil so you retain the sight picture all the way through.

You know it makes sense....

A 223 would do the trick but it's a bit boring really.

For my 2p I'd go for the 17 Ackley Hornet on the basis that it's quiet, cheap to run, amazingly accurate, gives you a light gun and with almost no recoil so you retain the sight picture all the way through.

You know it makes sense....

Thank you all for your replies:-

- My .204 was a blueprinted Rem 700, but would not group at all. With work and handloading I could have sorted it but it supposed to come with a 1MOA guarantee.

- 22-250 . . . interesting but possibly too much noise even moderated.

- I'm not an expert in handloading and time at present is tight.

I do like the look of the Anschutz .223.

Best regards all.

Sounds like the 204 was a bad one.

Tac20 will do what you want fine, I use 20BR and that is also a fine round with a bit more clout than TAC20 but sub 300 yards there is nothing in it much.

Going to 6mm you will need deer somewhere as well to justify it, the 6mm does have a bit more authority on impact yes but with my 20 even unmoddied I see the impacts. My 20BR has been out to just over 250 yards this summer on charlie with no issues at all.

A

So just like the 223 then... ;)

the 223 is a superb little round easily capable of of varminting at the ranges suggected.... and much futher.

Using my 223 , I have head shot rabbits at 300 yrds. Something no doubt that other members with other calibres . also do.

If your wanting to shoot out to 350 yrds & beyond (maybe) I would avoid the 17 calibre ( sorry Conish man , only my opinion )

I have had a 17 rem , although they are flat shooting , the piddling little pill is seriously affected by cross winds and lose

velocity for fun at range beyond 300 yrds.. Well , more than a decent 22 bullet IME .

Quite franky , I dont see the 17 Ackley Hornet , performing aswell as the 17 rem did at 350 yrds.

I am sure the 20 Tac or a 22 BR would also be a great choice.

Last point , Alycidon ... I have my 243 for fox ..not deer ...so again it seems , different constabularies putting their own spin on the law.

ATB

Alan

Sounds like you really did get a bad .204, i've seen some amazing shots with one, in ruger m77, he then changed for a sako for a drop mag. and it simply wouldn't even touch the accuracy of the ruger..... SO then he changed for a howa, and its a tack driver......

hes taking crows out to slightly over 500 yards on a good day... using 39 grain blitzkings.....

good luck with your decision i hope you get something nice...

Snap.

Geoff,

My Cooper was down for fox,vermin and ground game but not deer.

Ian.

You must have bent over for our FEO ;) , You know what aggro I had with him over the stalking by the day episode. That was only 2 years or so ago but he was trying it on IMHO.

A

Sounds like the 204 was a bad one.

Tac20 will do what you want fine, I use 20BR and that is also a fine round with a bit more clout than TAC20 but sub 300 yards there is nothing in it much.

Going to 6mm you will need deer somewhere as well to justify it, the 6mm does have a bit more authority on impact yes but with my 20 even unmoddied I see the impacts. My 20BR has been out to just over 250 yards this summer on charlie with no issues at all.

A

Geoff, you'd be able to watch impacts with that barrel of yours if it was chambered 338LM. :D;)

If your wanting to shoot out to 350 yrds & beyond (maybe) I would avoid the 17 calibre ( sorry Cornishman , only my opinion )

I have had a 17 rem , although they are flat shooting , the piddling little pill is seriously affected by cross winds and lose

velocity for fun at range beyond 300 yrds.. Well , more than a decent 22 bullet IME .

Quite franky , I dont see the 17 Ackley Hornet , performing aswell as the 17 rem did at 350 yrds.

ATB

Alan

Truthfully I'd have to agree that a 17 cal probably isn't up to 350 yard shooting but in that situation I'd advocate getting closer!

Archived