Barrel Life

DL.

If ammo costs £1 a bang, then it's not really relevant I suppose! Good to think that with a bit of care, a rebarrel wont be on the cards though.

Certainly it seemed to take my .223 a couple of hundred rounds to shoot in,or maybe I was imagining things!

They actually used to claim that all except the real barrel burners would hold 1 inch at 100 yds accuracy up to 10,000 rds. It depends a lot on the idiot on the trigger of course and using factory ammo, you can ruin anything in a week if you try.

My 243 certainly held to better than an inch at 100 from 1968 to 2006 when I had it rebarreled ( by Sako) due to crazing of the throat area and more cleaning than I liked.

Redfox

Its a bit simplistic, it takes no accout of rate of fire, doesnt declare an accuracy standard, etc etc.

I have used H4350 nearly since day one, I dont use the hottest loads, or indulge in machine gun rates of fire, or shoot ten shot groups and so on.

As I said how you use it and with what has a great bearing on what happens to the barrel over its life. A truism I do agree with to some extent is that if it takes 15lbs of powder to wash out a barrel throat, the hotter the loads used the quicker you get there. Also a military weapon where life is not the real issue will get shot out sooner than a sporter used for game and the odd target.

The WW11 German MG42 which had at the time the highest rate of fire of any machine gun then in use. If I remember rightly between 900 and 1000 rds a minute ( see extract below) had a barrel life of lesss than half an hour / 10000 rds or so before the barrel was scrap ( they were field changeable).

"Rate of fire: Variable, from 1,100 round/min to 1,600 round/min or more depending on installed bolt weight (different weight bolt components introduced to regulate rate of fire, lighter assemblies providing faster rates of fire). Throat erosion and component wear also introduced significant variation. Up to 1,800 round/min on the MG45 or without "recoil booster" (Rückstoßverstärker).

Parts changes:

Barrel: 3 to 7 seconds

Barrel and lock: 25 to 30 seconds "

Impressive even today!

On the morning of D Day one mach gunner of the German persuasion put over 23000 rds through his on Omaha beach before being shut down, wonder how many barrels he changed on that? it must have been red hot.

There is a vid on you tube showing an american machine gun fired until barrel was glowing bright red and it was still operating properly!!, must have been within an ace of the cartridges detonating in the breech though!

Redfox

• 2 months later...

My last 25-06 barrel lasted 2400 rounds.

The new one is on 400 and holds sub 1/2 moa.

I fail to believe that a 25-06 barrel would still return acceptible accuracy after 10,000 rounds....

Redfox, we had the mg3's in our unit. Almost the same

as the WW2 german MG42. Ours would do 1200 rounds per minute and

we carried a second barrel + asbestos gloves along. Barrels were polygon rifled and

could be changed in seconds.

I loved shooting them , great for sawing off target posts.

My 308 Sako forester with bofors barrel wouldn't hit a piece of paper

at 100yds with a clean barrel. After about 15 -20 fouling shots she got better.

I'm sure she had less than 5000 rounds.

She has also been rebarreled since.

edi

The FBI .308W Police Rifle spec when it went to tender was for better than 0.5-MOA 5-round 100yd accuracy and to still hold 0.5-MOA after 5,000 rounds through the OEM barrel which was seen by the gun industry as a very hard challenge. FN was a joint tender winner with its SPR which has a very hard hammer forged barrel and hard chrome lined bore, developed from their extensive machinegun manufacturing and development experience. FN claimed - I've never seen whether it's been proved - that this barrel would give 10,000 rounds at this accuracy level before it would need to be replaced.

This is of course 308 and US police / law enforcement agency use is almost entirely the factory Federal Gold Match 168gn Match King load, or Black Hills Ammo equivalent using the 175gn Sierra Match King. Neither is what most UKVarminting members would call a hot, or even 'warm' load, so barrel wear will hardly be in the .25-06 or 7mm Rem Mag class. And ........it's got this chrome lined bore.

I doubt if a Tikka will make it to 10,000 except maybe in .222 Rem, or as Chris says maybe yes but as Minute of Barn Side!

Archived