Deer movements in the snow?

I do most of my stalking in winter.

I just love being out in this (snowy) weather.

To be honest, I haven't seen much change in behaviour at all since the snow came :rolleyes:

Yesterday was clear and green (wet) woodland.

Awoke this morning to 4 inch snow and still falling when I took these pics from my phone.

012.jpg

011.jpg

The roe were in their usual place and one came back to the larder with me to chill out :)

I find stalking in snow (in woodland) easier as the sound is deadend, this doe was taken at 30 paces.

010.jpg

Unfortunately the big red things were no-where to be seen this morning

Andy, don't you mean 30mph :rolleyes: looks like it's been rolled right onto the carrier with the impact :)

l like to be out after snow and a mornings frost, that tends to see a few moving round me, they're also easier to spot due to the contrast

RW, funny it just leapt up and wrapped itself in the bungees :rolleyes:

Agreed you pick up on movement a hell of a lot quicker in snow (in dense cover)

When the ground is hard and frosty, if you sit quietly for a few minutes you can hear any movement on the ground too - alright some movement, but it all helps.

Damn near given myself hypothermea some times waiting for the light to come up on mornings like these, but it always pays well for me.

Had a friend over for a while this morning, and he'd seen 9 in one small patch on some of his ground (now there's only 8 in there :rolleyes: )

Due to commitments with the teaching side of things, l've had to lay off till the new year on one patch but l've a few other bits to keep me busy till then.

Cervus Rangifus Hubertus

Yes, l got a little peek at it when he called round to say howdo to the Ratwife and myself.

As you rightly say, look after those that would appreciate it and in return help you.....

Regards.

Ratty.

l like to be out after snow and a mornings frost, that tends to see a few moving round me, they're also easier to spot due to the contrast

Too right there. Developing a new 4x4 habit of checking fields - so much easier when you can see over the hedge. Yesterday pm counted 1 cdw per field, 2 in some just being driven down the main road!

The problem with woodland stalking for fallow at the moment is the frost on the snow, it's like trying to move around with a box of cornflakes tied to each foot. Even getting into the wood before daylight when there's no wind and the snow has frozen on top is sounding the alarm bells, out yesterday morning, glassed some fallow and even with the greatest of care it wasn't possible to stalk into them.

Able to spot them in the fields as they are returning to the woods before first light, but legalities and a sense of fairness during harsh conditions prevent me from taking them by the dubious false light created by the clear skies and the snow.

Muntjac extremely reluctant to move in these conditions and while driving the woods on Saturday for the estate syndicate guns, the muntjac would remain under the briar until the dogs were almost touching them.

The problem here is twofold, due to the frequent visits by poachers the deer are instantly taking flight at the sound or sight of a vehicle and nothing makes the sound that we create with the conditions that we have underfoot at the moment.

Roll on the thaw. Worst case scenario is having to shoot animals that are starving and in poor condition after a prolonged freeze up. That's the type of deer control I like the least.

Pete.

The problem with woodland stalking for fallow at the moment is the frost on the snow, it's like trying to move around with a box of cornflakes tied to each foot. Even getting into the wood before daylight when there's no wind and the snow has frozen on top is sounding the alarm bells, out yesterday morning, glassed some fallow and even with the greatest of care it wasn't possible to stalk into them.

Able to spot them in the fields as they are returning to the woods before first light, but legalities and a sense of fairness during harsh conditions prevent me from taking them by the dubious false light created by the clear skies and the snow.

Muntjac extremely reluctant to move in these conditions and while driving the woods on Saturday for the estate syndicate guns, the muntjac would remain under the briar until the dogs were almost touching them.

The problem here is twofold, due to the frequent visits by poachers the deer are instantly taking flight at the sound or sight of a vehicle and nothing makes the sound that we create with the conditions that we have underfoot at the moment.

Roll on the thaw. Worst case scenario is having to shoot animals that are starving and in poor condition after a prolonged freeze up. That's the type of deer control I like the least.

Pete.

I took 5 fallow does on Saturday evening. The snow has moved them into our ground during the day. It's usual for them to feed at night on our ground due to members of the public walking dogs throughout the day. This snow has kept them away to my delight. The groud hold up on in the day is not shot, meaning we have got to cull a little harder when the chance arises.

hi chaps not done to much fallow stalking but have just picked up a piece local to me plenty of deer about i managed two nice does sunday morning and my mate shot two on tuesday morning and a fox these deer seemed to stick tight to the woodland probably because the fields had 4 inches of snow cover anyway going a little bit of this thread i witnessed a shot on the second of his deer and i could not believe wot i saw if i had have been at the side of him i would not have let him take the shot i ranged found it at 440 yds that is by far the longest shot i have seen can not make my mind up if i condone this type of shot or that it is ok if the conditions allow. any thoughts atom

I had a walk around one of my permissions on wednesday and spotted 8 Roe. They seem to be sticking to the woods by the look of the tracks. There are a couple moving around in the open but nowhere near the numbers I'd usually expect. Unfortunately I had my combi gun with me and hadn't got around to checking the sights so I let them be. It would have been nice to get a christmas Deer but my key role as always was Squirrels!

hi chaps not done to much fallow stalking but have just picked up a piece local to me plenty of deer about i managed two nice does sunday morning and my mate shot two on tuesday morning and a fox these deer seemed to stick tight to the woodland probably because the fields had 4 inches of snow cover anyway going a little bit of this thread i witnessed a shot on the second of his deer and i could not believe wot i saw if i had have been at the side of him i would not have let him take the shot i ranged found it at 440 yds that is by far the longest shot i have seen can not make my mind up if i condone this type of shot or that it is ok if the conditions allow. any thoughts atom

Here we go again!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes::):D

No we don't

the thread regards Deer Movement in the Snow.

Please stick to the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
not really sure who i have upset my post was about movement in snow and i was just making a observation sorry to offend happynew year Took your advice mate had a look round site and found the threads on long range shots did not want to offend will put brain into gear before replying to threads cheers

Archived