Long range calibres

Tiff, that's a really kind offer! I'm almost tempted to drive down to take you up on that!

I still have no idea what to do, I'm going to sit and think about it for a while and try to get some funds together. I'm pretty sure I'll just go with some form of heavy factory based .30 as I would like to be able to get ammo abroad.

Interesting reading and eerily familiar. Years ago I shot Metallic Silhouette competition here in the South West US. It was hot as a pistol all over the country, in all it's forms. I shot 100 and 200M handgun as well as 100M rimfire and 500M centerfire rifle. I don't claim to have been a great competitor but it was great competing: win or lose there was something satisfying about standing shoulder to shoulder with the next person (the National Champ then was a woman!) and knocking down steel targets at 500M. Everyone with a decent hunting rifle who could shoot off hand was signing up for the 500M competition until the money race kicked in. In the space of 5 years we went from filling 5 full relays to barely filling one.

The technology costs, that's true, but it was a sad thing to see a good sport fade away from the general public.~Andrew

I and many other people experienced the very same problem back in the 80,s with airgun field target. As a young fella, i used to compete [and well] with a sporting rifle in .22 calibre [a springer ] then venom arms started turning out the lazaglided 80,s etc, and it became a spring gun arms race. Then the pre-charged pneumatic happened, and promptly killed off half the competitors. This ran for a few years, and then we had the advent of the high powered rangefinding sight. That killed a few more off, financially, as the shoot organisers started putting targets right out at 55 yards. A .22 sporter with a 3-9 power scope cant make those shots.

Real field target withered away to a hardcore of maybe 150 competitors nationwide, and has virtually died a death.

Several enterprising folk then decided to take it back to its roots, and introduced hunter field target, which has fixed mag, fixed parallax etc. it however, is going the same way, with zeiss, s+ b,s etc being used. All to gain an edge within the rules.

It,s human nature.

Real field target withered away to a hardcore of maybe 150 competitors nationwide, and has virtually died a death.

I wonder how many take part and stick with F/TR? Pretty small gene pool i would think - always seems to be the same names in the Journal

Several enterprising folk then decided to take it back to its roots, and introduced hunter field target, which has fixed mag, fixed parallax etc. it however, is going the same way, with zeiss, s+ b,s etc being used. All to gain an edge within the rules.

It,s human nature.

Happy with that; it's just about how much thought goes into defining the rules. Just strikes me that, say, "Varmint F/TR" could be similarly created with some tightly written rules. Time for a new thread methinks. :)

New thread up now.

Ta

G

G

Aaagh, we've double tapped with the creation of similar threads! Mine is in 'Target Shooting'. G, if you're happy, I'll remove yours in order to have just one thread running on the idea.

Matt

hi

will the 6.5x55 swedish go to 1000m

neil

It will go 1000m! but I don't know what the groups are like ...but I've seen "Schmit Rubens" shoot that distance...could be worth looking for a 6.5 x 55 designated site to clarify grouping capabilities :blush:

It will go 1000m! but I don't know what the groups are like ...but I've seen "Schmit Rubens" shoot that distance...could be worth looking for a 6.5 x 55 designated site to clarify grouping capabilities :blush:

My personal best was 4 shots inside 1" at 1,000 yards......still have the patch on my wall. I also shot sub 3" witnessed groups at 800 yards in perfect calm conditions at Bisley. However with a breath of wind this would open up....hence why it's not really a true long range caliber in my opinion against the big .30's & .338's.

My personal best was 4 shots inside 1" at 1,000 yards......still have the patch on my wall. I also shot sub 3" witnessed groups at 800 yards in perfect calm conditions at Bisley. However with a breath of wind this would open up....hence why it's not really a true long range caliber in my opinion against the big .30's & .338's.

well if you wanted a true long range calibre wouldn't you just get a .50 and be done with it.

A friend & I have been invited to go out with two different people to Lydd ranges to shoot their .50cals but to no avail (empty promises)...but one day I will have a go at one of these beasts :blush:

well if you wanted a true long range calibre wouldn't you just get a .50 and be done with it.

Simply because they are not all that great for UK use. At sub 1 mile a .50 is not that much better than a big 30 or .338 - particularly if using lathe turned solids. On top of that you cannot get a .50 for field use, whereas a .30 magnum is more than accepted by nearly all police forces.

As for Lydd if your not already a member of the FCSA, then join. Lydd is great and IMO the best UK field firing range for number of ETR targets. I'm sure you'll manage to have a play with a .50 if your a member of the club and a prospective buyer from one of the RFD's present :blush: .

Schmidt Rubin,s are 7.5 x 55 Dicky.

I,d take a 6.5 x 55 shooting 140 grain scenars at 1000 yards, against any .308 ever built...any day of the week . A good friend of mine, Steve Dunn, still holds one of the 1000 yard records i think, with a 6.5x55 AI, or has only recently lost it. Its a phenomenal longe range round, in a modern rifle.

Archived