Savage bolt knob

I have a Savage varmint 308 for which I am patiently waiting for the arrival of a new laminated stock from Sharpshooters supply in the States.

In order to keep with the look and make it easier to operate I intend to have a bolt knob fitted. I bought one of SYSS which is threaded at 8mmx1 .I took the bolt and knob to my local gunstore where I was informed that a Savage bolt is too hard to thread?????Can anybody offer any advice/ help on this ???Or tell me a place where it can be done???

Gary

Gaz,

I cant say i,ve ever done a savage, but i wouldn,t have thought the bolt handle was of such hard steel, it couldn,t be threaded ? Aren,t the bolt handle,s removable ?

There is no need for the bolt handle to be hardened to such a degree.

You could quickly assess the hardness with a file.

Using the corner of a square or ideally triangular file run it across where it is going to be machined. If it is that hard you will not leave a mark or if you do it will polish off easily. Listen to the noise and feel the bite of the teeth and if it marks relatively easily then threading is not an issue.

You could practice on a known soft item i.e. bolt oddment, first and then judge it against that.

Bullshit. I threaded one of mine for a bolt knob I turned on my small lathe...somebody's pulling your leg. :ph34r:

Actually, I should clarify that. I drilled and tapped mine, then cut a recess on the knob and D&T'ed the knob as well. All of it was then threaded together witha threaded shank between the two parts and epoxied (the last thing I want is the threads to get stripped out of the aluminum when I'm out and about). Nothing worse than being in the field with a bolt knob in one hand, and a rifle in the other... :o

8mmx1?

Presumably 8 mm diameter by 1.0mm pitch.

The standard pitch used for this size bolt would be 1.25mm normally so thats probably why it was stated. :D

Archived