Loading For Others

DL.

Not sure of the exact legalities.

We load commercially, and all our handloads are to a set recipie, and a sample batch was proof tested at Birmingham [London dont do this, or didn,t]

We also have full third party liability insurance for the same.

I believe it is illegal for a private individual to load for a friend, unless they are actually present at the time. Could be wrong.

l would think that the production of a safe and repeatable load is the begining of any reloading project. Followed by a hefty insurance policy should anything go wrong for what ever reason down the line.

l might just ask the question the next time l'm down at the Fire Arms dept' and see what responce l get.....

if im found to be loading 300winmag and i dont have it on my ticket im going to be in trouble if found to loading them with out the owner of the ammo next to you , all you have to say is im learning him how to reload ..i have one mate who uses my reloading gear .nothing wrong with that so he keeps telling me ? .yeh he is to tight to buy his own ? but all good things come to an end lol

Right... Was don't with the powers that be a few hours ago and this is how they run things here.

You can load for someone else: lf they bring all their kit to you, and stay with you throughout the process. They (plod) also say that you should keep a log of all data and number of rounds loaded. This then needs to be added to the back of your ticket (number of live rounds) to show how much you then have in store and to indicate how much you get through.

You cannot load for someone else if they leave their stuff with you and collect it latter. This is due to the fact that you would be in posession of bullet heads (expanding type if used) belonging to another person and not on your ticket.

You cannot load for sale...... deep breath..... Wait for it....

Without being registered as an "Explosives Manufacturer" with the HSE and have all the relevant doccuments and insurances for same. My dept do not issue tickets for this and advised me to seek advise with HSE regarding such issues.

They have been told repeatedly by the Home Office, that there is no need or legal requirement to put the actual bullets on your FAC !! the only thing you need is the right to posses expanding missiles on the FAC.

You are then expected to hold no more than your allocation in numbers of bullets for each calibre, which is fairly reasonable considering the stupidity of the legislation anyway.

If the bullets were of a calibre you were not licensed for or the number put you over your allocation of that particular calibre, for either bullets or ammunition, it might be different but its all a bit hypothetical.

The main thing in all this, is that you are legally responsible for the ammunition you make. So if it blows your mates hand or head off, you had better have serious insurance cover which as an amateur you couldnt get.

So, let him use your press etc and show him how to do it and you have no worries at all.

I personally dont reload for anyone but myself, but friends would be welcome to come and learn and use the kit.

Redfox

Redfox.

That's right.

But what they were trying to say (or l should have said) was that this was more for the club shooter who only uses match ammo that doesn't need to be signed onto your ticket.

This way when that person goes in for his renewal he has a body of evidence to show that he's using his/her rifle and it's not just sitting in a cabinet as "braggin' rights" somewhere (l was aluded to that this has been the case).

Either way l'm clean, so l'll bash on.....

R.

Redfox I am with you on this as this is how I understood the situation. I have in the past shown mates how to use my equipment then under my supervision i.e. me in the same room, allowed them to continue and ask as they went along.

As Bigun said and as I understand it, technically if you were caught with say 300 wm cartridges and you only had a 22 c/f on ticket you could jeopardise yourself.

Ratwhiskers, I have heard them sort of comments before regarding the noting of ammo. Usually I would suggest this to somebody who felt they needed to justify themselves i.e. as a new certificate holder just to show they were using the equipment.

eldon.

l would think that was reasonable.

The Fire Arms dept' were very accomodating and said that they could hold no one to any of the advice given about what goes on your ticket, it would just be helpful to the holder should and questions be asked.

Blimey, l've not seen that link for a while.

l don't see anywhere that they want your rifle for the load developement, so you're still getting (all be it with hopefully improved componants + prep') a premium factory load that most manufacturers put out. And the possibility that your rifle may or may not like the load anyway. l also see that there is no claim to any improvement in accuracy using their product.

Not pulling it to bits in any way, l'm just having one of those cynical moments (too much Yorkshireness) tonight.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring an old topic back to life but I don't think what has been said is strictly correct. There is, as far as I am aware, nothing in the Firearms act that says you cannot possess any bullet heads you want. What must be recorded on your FAC is complete rounds and you need an FAC to buy primers, everything else, including bullet heads, powders, cases any Tom Dick or Harry can purchase.

As for reloading for someone else, as far as the act states there is only an issue if you do it as a business (or for any kind of personal financial gain).

Therefore there you can reload ammunition that is not on your ticket if it for an appropriate license holder and they are there when you make any complete rounds. If they're not there you can't put them together but you can have all the bits (assuming you've got an FAC to cover the primers)!

Obviously the above is "only" the law and your local police force may interpret that in any number of ways!!

Cheers

JohnE

JhonE

you can purchase target bullet heads without having to record them on your ticket but you still have to show legal right to possess that caliber, i doubt any firearms dealer will sell without knowing you have a legal right to own, even if only to cover their own backs

Expanding type heads have to be recorded on your ticket at time of purchase as if buying live rounds

ian

JhonE

you can purchase target bullet heads without having to record them on your ticket but you still have to show legal right to possess that caliber, i doubt any firearms dealer will sell without knowing you have a legal right to own, even if only to cover their own backs

Expanding type heads have to be recorded on your ticket at time of purchase as if buying live rounds

ian

ian-this again is a nonsense of the archaic firearms laws-you dont have to show any dealer your fac to buy "target "bullets you can buy through the post and have as many as you wish ,and expanding heads do not legally have to be entered on your certificate the sellar has to record the sale in there log book they are not obliged to enter anything on your certificate,but as is good practice you should get them entered to show you are buying your alloted amount .

Expanding bullets/missiles ( head has nothing to do with bullet) do not need to be recorded on your FAC, only complete rounds of ammunition and you dont need an FAC at the moment to buy primers nor are they recorded on your FAC.

The only part your FAC plays in this, is that you are required to show the seller that you have the condition on your FAC that allows you to buy the expanding missiles, none expanding ones do not require you to produce anything in order to buy.

All the above is from the Home office and is in their guidance to the Police.

Redfox

The law on primers changed in the violent crime reduction bill, Redfox. An fac must be produced to purchase any type of cartridge primer APART from shotgun primers, another classic example of BASC looking after the pheasant blasters, and ####### riflemen. Apart from ourselves and Norman Clarke,s however, i,ve never been asked anywhere else for my ticket when purchasing. :o

Expanding heads DO NOT have to be entered on an fac, only if the customer requests it, but MUST be entered into the expanding missiles register. This is how south yorks firearms interpret it, north yorks make them put them on the ticket.

Non expanding heads can be purchased by anyone, whether they have an fac or not.

Complete, RELOADED rounds DO NOT have to be entered onto your own ticket. Again, how my force interpret. Out of a dozen calibre,s i only enter .22lr on my ticket.

The law on primers changed in the violent crime reduction bill, Redfox. An fac must be produced to purchase any type of cartridge primer APART from shotgun primers, .

Thanks for qualifying this - I have printed off the Firearms act to check and was starting to panic that I couldn't find the bit on primers but I was sure I'd read it somewhere! Interestingly the original proposal for the violent crime reduction bill also wanted to make the purchase of reloading presses an area that required and FAC but fortunately this was dropped in the final version!

JohnE

Thanks, appreciate the info, crime reduction bill, what a joke. Havent bought any primers since that came in, as I have some in stock. Lancs are same as SYorks on the this, they say they expect you to keep within your allocation for both exp bullets and or loaded rounds but are reasonable on quantities.

RF

Archived