Which Scope?

Mossy-dog

Looking for a scope to go on my .22-250 to replace the Simmons WTC 3.5-10x50 (doesnt cut the mustard now i have used a zeiss and a swaro) on there now.

Main use is foxing under the lamp but also going to try some range shooting

Ive been looking at the Zeiss Conquest 4-14x50 with target turrets and quite like it. A mate has the 6.5-20x50 and its very impressive but i am struggling with stretching to £500 (which ive seen a few go for recently). Hopefully i can find a 4-14 a bit cheaper.

Can anyone reccomend a similar sort of spec scope, or point me in the direction of a well priced Zeiss (under £500)

Dan

p.s. ive always wondered about the exposed target turrets, are they waterproof? i quite like the idea of having them accesible but not if they will let water in

Mossy

1st thing exposed target turrets shouldnt let water. Thats not to say it cant happen but on a cheap scope who knows, I have them on a scope I have recently acquired on one of the new Bushnell elite 6500 5-30x50 tactical. The little time I have spent looking through it seems to be a good scope for the money. I actually got it from the states and got it through without mr browns grubby little fingers on it, a little bit of luck. There are quite a few scopes that come with in your price range; burris, leupold, bushnell. I have never used a conquest, so I couldnt compare them. I have had a leupold vx3 6.5-20x50 which wasnt half bad. You can usually find 4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50 for under £500 second hand. If you get the right model the long range you will get target turret but not the exposed kind. They are good quality scopes, not on par with swarovski new ones or schmidt but for the money they arent half bad. A lot of the guys on here use leupolds. Sightron are good as well having had a look through vermincinerators. Otherwise I would hang onto your cash and save a little longer I know its dull but you will benefit from getting the scope you want. Check the US ebay, if your lucky you might find a bargain and a person willing to ship to the UK, if your really lucky you might get away with out Mr Browns hand to. You could hold on and see what the January sales bring. Otherwise just hang on and the right scope will come up, probably on here. Have a glance over the optics warehouse website and see what they have in your price range. Not the best advice I am sorry but I hope it is of some use. Having had a quick scan of the for sale section there is a leupold vx3 4.5-14x50 illuminate reticule for sale, pretty good scope for the price he is asking, have a chat with him and go down to local gun shop and take a look through one.

I have no experiance of Conquest other than one a friend had that went wrong and he had major aggro with it. Conquest is a US market only scope, if it goes wrong it will have to go back to the US for repair with all the paperwork issues that creates. I hear the UK now needs an export licence for scopes as well creating another issue.

Having said that having looked through and liked the optical quality of Ziess Swaro etc then you will not be easily satisfied with lower quality. The likes of Luepold are fine in good light but do not cut it optically in low light such as a fox just off a beam. However in mind of your budget and target turret requirements they (Luepold) are perfectly acceptable otherwise, Charlie will just need a bit more lamp. I also found Simmons to be a good scope as well.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/shoptics.htm

These do have good quality optics going through and a post in the wanted sections here and elsewhere may yield something. However Ziess are of such quality that they dont come up that often, there is nowhere to trade up to from Ziess !!. Personally I would steer clear of Conquest though and stick to the European models just in case a problem occurs. But the only Ziess European models you are likely to find under £500 are smaller fixed powers and certainly no target turrets.

Need it now then go Luepold but if you can get a bit more cash together in a few months you will never regret buying that Ziess. A nice 42-50mm will be fine, no need for a 56mm.

A

i have two conquests and no people with them and never had any problems. i have a bushnell elite to and tho you can get them over here in the shops unlike the conquest. if it go's wrong yo ustill have to send them back to the usa. so there is no difference really.

Yesterday eve I took a fox under the lamp with my 6.5-20 conquest,

it was very windy and hazy. To 100% identify the fox I cranked the scope up to about 15

which was still ok with the light at 200 - 230yds.

I think the 4.5-14x50 would be perfect for the lamp. Z plex is a good compromise.

When weight and price is an issue ... who is gonna beat a conquest?

edi

Hi trigger

Im pretty much looking for a scope that im not going to end up wanting to change so id ideally like

1 inch tube (that way it can exchange to any of my rifles)

Exposed turrets

50mm max front end

Probably 4 - 14 ish as i would think they would be a bit cheaper than the 6 - 20

I am currently thinking that i will save up and go for a Zeiss Conquest / Leupold in the above spec because even though its a one time buy i cannot really afford £500.

Im a bit of a wimp when it comes to trying new stuff out and remain unconvinced about the fox scopes longevity.

Has anyone tried the Vortex scopes? £390 for a 6 - 20 x 50

Dan

MD

You could look at the Hawke Fronteria range of scopes.

http://www.deben.com/optics/riflescopes/fr..._side_focus.php

My shooting buddy had the 6 -24 model and it was very good optically , although quite a small FOV

The 4-16 model ticks most of your boxes - except for the 1 inch tube.

However, he did sell it to get a Zeiss conquest 6.5 -20 x50

Enough said :)

Alan

'However, he did sell it to get a Zeiss conquest 6.5 -20 x50'

Thats what i want to avoid! lol

Think that i will save up for either a Leupold or a Conquest 4.5-16 and make do with the Simmons thats on there now for the time being. Might as well hold out for the one i really want!

Think the 6.5 - 20 is a bit over the top unless it turns out to be the same price as a 4.5 - 16

Dan

Archived