Do I bed my existing stock, or buy a new one?

Oly

I thinking about having my short action (.243 Win) Rem 700 VLS bedded. I’m happy with the stock but I’m wondering whether it would be better/cheaper in the long run to simply buy a replacement stock that doesn’t require bedding?

For example: Bell & Carlson stocks & McMillan stocks apparently don’t need bedding as they have full length aluminium bedding systems already installed.

Has anyone got any advice on the matter?

Are these stocks really that good straight out of the box?

Are there any other manufacturers I should be looking at?

Do you have/know of a suitable stock for sale at a decent price (compared to getting my existing stock bedded)?

As ever, thanks in advance,

Oly

I think every stock will be more consistent when bedded, be it aluminium wood or composite.

If you are otherwise happy with the shape and weight of your laminated stock get it pillar bedded and enjoy.

If your'e thinking of a composite stock try to handle a few stocks before you buy, especially american

stocks are designed for low scope mounting with a low comb, others just seem very clumsy.

Some composite stocks can also be extremely heavy.

edi

Oly,

McMillan,s dont come with a bedding block of any sort. Despite what they say, they DO require bedding. The infill on a mac is very soft, and at the very least, they require pillars.

Bedding blocks in bell and carlson,s hs precision, etc are only ever going to be a compromise. No two actions are the same size, and only touch this type of block usually in two lines.

Either stock is always better, when its had a good amount hogged out on a mill, and devcon bedded. You then have an absolute proper fit to your action. Both will work without, but will never perform at their best without bedding.

As ever, thanks for your input Baldie. From reading previous posts (can't find it again though!) on bedding, you have recommended not bothering with bedding if it's shooting sub 0.5" MOA anyway - which it is - and the laminate stocks are prett study regarding flex etc...so I may leave it alone and see what happens in the future.

It will save me money for other modifications too!! Either cutting the stock to give an adjustable cheek piece or...can you change the floorplate to accept magazines? If so do you have any info & likely costs?

If its shooting 1/2" groups, with a factory barrel, then bedding wont improve it Oly. Spend your money in other areas, and enjoy the gun.

Our floorplate is £175 as the kit, or £300 fitted, which include devcon bedding the floorplate into the stock bottom. Mags are extra.

Sounds a lot, but there is half a days work there, and the material costs. The badger floorplate on its own would cost £300....if they were available.

One or two of the guys on here have had cheekpiece,s done by a guy whose name escapes me. However, he is cheap, and the quality is excellent. Its a shotgun cheekpiece adjuster he uses, i believe.

Archived