NEW RIFLE in 22.250 AI ???

sir-slots-alot

Guys and gals

Couple of things , firstly I am thnking of having a rifle built in 22.250 AI flavour with a tight twist ( 1 in 8 ).

Anyone run one ?

I am sure someone on BBS has a lovely rifle in this cal ( cant remember who )

Any opinions either way would be appreciated before I put up the cash.

Next , I would like to build it around the Tikka M590 , M595 or Sako 75 action.. again your thoughts

Lastly - does anybody have one of these actions that they are thinking of selling.

Cheers me Dears

Alan

Interesting project. I like 22-250 myself (now on my fourth rifle in this calibre) and I've sometimes wondered about the Ackley option - though custom barrel prices are a disincentive to experimentation, at least in UK. I would do it primarily for extended case life, though the slightly greater capacity/MV would be a bonus. Clearly with that fast twist you want yours for pushing out the distance so I imagine the higher MV is what attracts you...?

TonyH

Interesting project. I like 22-250 myself (now on my fourth rifle in this calibre) and I've sometimes wondered about the Ackley option - though custom barrel prices are a disincentive to experimentation, at least in UK. I would do it primarily for extended case life, though the slightly greater capacity/MV would be a bonus. Clearly with that fast twist you want yours for pushing out the distance so I imagine the higher MV is what attracts you...?

TonyH

Tony , I have had quite a few 22.250's over the years which is why I am thinking of this cal.

I think a good 22.250 rifle and 75 grain Amax would make an awsome long range combination - especially in Ackley flavour.

Although I have no experience of this - which is why I would like a bit of help.

Cheers mate

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have a 22-250 Ackley which i built on a Stiller Predator action but with a standard 1-14 twist rate.

I wish i had gone for a faster twist but when i built her i was only interested velocity.

I have had my fill of ultra quick velocities (4150fps with 52grn bullets) so whan i re-barrel next spring i will be going for a 1-8 twist to stabilize those longer heavier bullets and give her a bit more legs.

Here's a pic

Minsterly_30th_May_2008_003.jpg

Ian.

Alan, i am up to 860 round count mate, so by spring next year that will be about 1100 in two and a half years.

1500 rnds is considered the norm before accuracy noticeably tails off, although i will be re-barreling regardless.

The throat looks pretty good considering i have been running her pretty hot and as of yet i have not noticed ant deterioration of accuracy

Its got the legs to kill at 500yds with 52-55grain bullets but goes into transition at around 700yds.

In my opinion launching 75-85grn bullets at about 3200fps will not stress your barrel at all so an increased barrel life can be expected

Ian.

I,ve just got the bits together to build something similar, but even more extreme. mine is a single shot lawton, but is going to have a lilja 3 groove, on it. The barrel is a 1 in 7" twist, and i intend to shoot 90 grain moly vld,s in it. It should be a cracking 600 yard gun. 22-250 ackley, obviously.

Baldie , sounds a top long range tool

Question for people with 22.250 AI 's

Do you use Norma cases... or will the standard Federal brass be good enough.

The reason I ask is have tons of fed cases from my last 22.250 and I am tight as a fiddler crabs arse ... :D

Only joking - is it worth paying the extra for norma over the cheaper brands

Alan

This

DSC00495.jpg

is well into 3000+ rounds, using an almost exclusive diet of 75g A Max at 2900 fps.

Not the fastest it will go, but theres little throat erosion and it still holds sub half moa accuracy.

Tikka 595, Border cut tube and chambered 22-250AI with .252" nk

Brass, once fired PMC rubbish - work a treat :D

Sweet :lol:

Baldie , sounds a top long range tool

Question for people with 22.250 AI 's

Do you use Norma cases... or will the standard Federal brass be good enough.

The reason I ask is have tons of fed cases from my last 22.250 and I am tight as a fiddler crabs arse ... :D

Only joking - is it worth getter norma over the cheaper brands

Alan

Hi i have tried every make of brass on the market, although most people favour Norma i would rather use Wincheter which is a very soft brass or the Nosler custom brass which is weight sorted, deburred flash hole and is ready to reload with little preperation, i have also found the neck wall thicknes to be more consistent.

Regards Brain

....Tikka 595, Border cut tube and chambered 22-250AI with .252" nk...

That is a very attractive rifle. I don't usually like streamlined rifles such as Tikka and Steyr but with the addition of that handsome s/s barrel and the unusual stock (??) it looks very good indeed. Maybe I'll get around to 22-2550AI myself one day - perhaps when the barrel on my 22-250 Rem 700VS starts to go....

TonyH

Like Brian i use the Nosler brass over Norma.

I tried both and found that the Norma did not fireform as well as the Nosler and after 3 firings i started to get split necks.

I am know on my second batch of Noslers and they have so far seen 6 reloads, i trashed the first batch by pushing the envelope just to see how fast i could get them to go (4850fps with 36grn Barnes Varmint Grenade :lol:;) ) had a couple of blown primers and several loose primer pockets so for the sake of safety :D i binned the lot. :lol:

Ian.

Archived