Steel for targets - advice please

scotsgun

Folks,

I'm hoping to rattle up a few gong type targets. I run a decent sized technology dept. in a secondary school so tools etc aren't a problem. The only real prob i have is sourcing suitable steel for the target. I've been trying to source for AR550 steel plate or event some AR400 without success.

Can anyone suggest a likely source? I work in East Ayrshire and stalk in Dumfries and Galloway.

Thanks

Mark

Old excavator buckets are a decent source as are the backing discs of rotary grass cutters - the type pulled behind tractors, lastly harrow discs.

All have been used previously and are ok, you wnt something thick enough and tough enough to stop the bullet but not heavy enough so as not to "ring".

Also need to consider size, thickness due to obvious transport issue....

Hi Mark,

Wouldnt bother trying to get anything too special, anything 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick will suffice to most rounds at anything from 100 yards out. Its going to get shot to s**t anyway so any mild steel plate which you can mig up the splashes and slege out the dents will do!

I made some quickly from 1/8 inch plate and the 308 like punchin holes through it at 500 yards, but as i say they were made quicly from some offcuts! Still great fun tho! haha

How you sorted for long range ground mate, as you can come out on my patch at glenluce somtime for abit of long range gong shootin, we're not a million miles away from one another!

Ronin you go anywhere near my digger buckets and i may need to get the pipe bender out to your barrels!!! haha! :D

Shrek

You've probably already worked this out but, if the steel gong is fixed solidly then suprisingly light bullets/calibres will either go straight through or knock it about. If you suspend the gong on chains, or some similar device, then it will ring out and suprisingly heavy rounds will hardly mark it. JC

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

Shrek - i can shoot out to perhaps 200-300yds on my stalking ground near Dumfries so i may well take you up on your offer. I've got half a dozen rifles but my favourite are a Steyr SSG69 with Kahles 6x42 and a CZ 527 with Zeiss 3.5-10x44. Neither is a long range rig but the deer haven't seemed to notice :D

This fellow sells the steel you're after, cut to the shape you want.

http://www.wms-firearmstraining.org/produc...gory.php?type=6

I bought some steel tgts from andrew venebles at the above site,in shape of crow and rabbit,can also do you fox,or any other shape you wish.

only downside is there quite heavy,,, :D:excl:

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

Shrek - i can shoot out to perhaps 200-300yds on my stalking ground near Dumfries so i may well take you up on your offer. I've got half a dozen rifles but my favourite are a Steyr SSG69 with Kahles 6x42 and a CZ 527 with Zeiss 3.5-10x44. Neither is a long range rig but the deer haven't seemed to notice :D

no worries mate you'll be quite welcome, i have enough range to exhaust a 308 round, nothin on it apart from fox's and alot of sheep, and very occasionally an odd lost deer and its right in the middle of bumblef**k so its perfect for plinkin with the big toys!

I had a 1/2" thick 16" diametre piece of hot rolled steel plate flame cut at a local fabrication shop.

They also burned two holes so i could hang it on a couple of short lengths of chain.

To suspend the gong i bought a kiddies swing, chucked away the swing and used the frame.

Total cost was about £60.

The largest calibre fired at the gong at the shortest distance has been 308 @ 340yds. but .270 created the deepest craters about 1/8" deep.

Ian.

Archived