223 LOADS

turner 73

It largely depends on the weight of bullet you intend to use? 50 grain upwards isn't really enough info. But for 50 to 55 grain bullets you will be hard pressed to beat VV N133 or Benchmark.

Hi,am using N133, 40gr v max at the moment! but have been advised to try 52gr a max or 55gr v max.

You should get decent results with Viht 140 and 75gr A-max. Start lowish at 22.5gr and work up .3gr till you find the most accurate load, don't worry about velocity, you'll be lucky to break 2800fps.

75gr A-max will take you out to 600yds no problem, you'll just have to put on a load more elevation.

Pete.

I am using 24.5 Grns - Vit N140 / 75 grn Amax.

This is driving the bullet at 2840 fps ( from 24 inch barrel )

I started at bottom load and worked up.

I was about to give it up as a bad job as the groups were an inch or more at 100 yrds with the bottom and middle loads.

Things dramatically tightened up when I increased the load to 24.5 grns and tweeked the OAL.

The 75 grn Amax took a lot of testing and tweeking to get the best out of them.. I rarely use them as they wont go in the tikka mag and it pi$$es me off flicking them in by hand.

Alan

Hi,am using N133, 40gr v max at the moment! but have been advised to try 52gr a max or 55gr v max.

Why? Nothing wrong with the 40gr V-Max, used it for ten years in my .223 but on top of N130 = better suited to lighter bullets (I get 3800fps). Especially in small cases I like small fast flat-shooting bullets rather than bloody gurt heavy target jobs, and out to 400-500 the figures show you might as well stick with the 40gr. For those 50+gr bullets I'd use N133 though.

Regards, Tony

I am using 24.5 Grns - Vit N140 / 75 grn Amax.

This is driving the bullet at 2840 fps ( from 24 inch barrel )

I started at bottom load and worked up.

I was about to give it up as a bad job as the groups were an inch or more at 100 yrds with the bottom and middle loads.

Things dramatically tightened up when I increased the load to 24.5 grns and tweeked the OAL.

The 75 grn Amax took a lot of testing and tweeking to get the best out of them.. I rarely use them as they wont go in the tikka mag and it pi$$es me off flicking them in by hand.

Alan

Mine's only a 20" barrel so struggle with 2800fps.

You idle get Alan, nothing wrong with single loading the 75's. I've shot my AR at 900yds with 21gr of 140 and 75gr A-max, rainbow trajectory but silly accurate.

Pete.

i load identical rounds for two tikka t3 .223's. 50 gn btip, 27gn h4895, cci small rifle primer, mixed brass.

shoots one hole groups at 100 yards from both guns. about 3400 fps.

Alan

My old tikka T3 used to love A max 75s, so much so that i modified the magazine to take them. It was a fiddly job but worth it, luckily i have access to some specialized tools at work. As you say single loading the tikka is a real pain.

I would not recomend it to anyone thats not confident with DIY as you can destroy the mag if not carefull. Replacement mags are definately not cheap considering they are plastic.

regards

jma

I have used Varget with good success on both 55grn Vmax and Sierra game kings. 27grns is my load which very near max which i worked up to. I use remington 71/2 Primers and the brass is winchester which has been properly prepped each time.

Cheers

Archived