Any UK based lath turned solids?

Guest Tiff

I heard rumours last year that a chap in S.Wales was to start producing custom lath turned bullets. Does anyone know what happened?

Also are there any other UK based lath turned bullet markers yet? Plus is there anyone on here who could potentially produce them?

I'm possibly going to inherit a bit of money in the next year and I've got a bit of a dream / slightly daft idea for my next rifle......Lets just say you can't easy find the bullets on the shelf!

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Tiff

The chap who imports Nemasis 50 cals is making solids, Bernie ??

The Gun Room UK

http://www.thegunroomuk.com/

Ive shot a few rounds of their solids at Warcop, then asked for samples to load my own - e-mail and called by phone, still waiting....

Maybe he will be at Warcop this weekend, i'll get back in his ribs..

Noels lathe turned solids are shooting in pondside 338's but licence makes them a non starter.

You spoken to Lutz?

Sloanes import GS custom by the way, but their customer service is alos pants, left three messages for some solids last year and the year before, still waiting them to call back.

Would be easier to buy my own small cnc and make my own :rolleyes:

I have some good contacts for solid bullets but we stopped research as they got band on all rifle ranges, apart from some MOD ranges, I have some designs for FClass bullets in search of a better BC but as they got band I stoped the project. I did manage to get our guys to make a nice 6.5 twist 30cal barrel waiting for the day.

Thanks guys for that and the pm's, it gives me a fair few leads to follow.

As for Lutz, I have spoken to him and he seems good. However I would prefer to keep this inside the UK, since I've found in the past it makes things so much easier all round.

GS Custom bullets I have also found rubbish, having ordered some heavy .30's two years ago they still don't seem to know where they are!

Also Silent I'll be in touch shortly :wacko:

Have you tried GS Custom, but going direct to the manufacturer? If you try to go via the UK agent, you'll get nowhere, they're hopeless!. I've tried on 4 separate occasions to get some FN solids for my 416 from them and have never had a word back. I sent directly to the Manufacturer and had them in about a month.

Hope that helps

Peter

Peter

thanks for the info, if customer service is anything to go by, I wonder how the UK importers are still in business.

I heard of another manufacturer yesterday this may be another line of enquiry.

Although I think the best option is to bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and obtain an export permit for a guy in the states who is at the cutting edge (on 6th generation for some calibres)

That way I would be able to build the rifle I want and not a compromise.

Barrels are slightly easier now that some have obtained export permits in larger but less "common" calibres.

Andy don't tell me that it might be possible to get hold of .375/.408 solids and barrels from the states reliably its just planted a whole new expensive seed back in my mind now :rolleyes: .

Sean

simple facts are that I know a chap across the pond who is making very good CNC solids in various calibres.

These are 5th / 6th generation development projectiles on a modified haak design.

I really, really want to make a single shot 375CT on a Barnard or Lawton using a Bartlein gain twist (or whatever suits)

Projectiles are easy - just need a DSP-83 (xport licence) for the solids and one for the barrels.

I was going to get DPS-83 for Bartlein but have contact for export now instead if the need arises.

Cost is the issue as is finding a suitable chassis.

I may have found the chassis solution, actions are easy.

Sorry to have cost you more money :wub:

Perhaps if you or anyone else is serious about such a project, it may be an apt time to get heads together........

Seems daft several people having similar ideas and not pooling resources?

I could build a .50, but that would be easy :rolleyes:

Guys,

As well as the CNC turned you might think of finding manufacturers who regularly produce turned parts for the military ammunition and Aerospace industry.

When I did my apprenticeship the company I worked for used "Petermanns" which were Swiss lathes / multi axis machines for turning and machining fuse parts from non ferrous materials.

These machines were intended for inticate watch and clock components but I bet they are still around some where? Even thought my old company is long gone.

Archived