IS THIS A BAD HABIT?

Guest Sprags

Guest Sprags

I have just reloaded 50 rounds for the Ackley and each time I seat a bullet I take it out of the press and put it straight in the bullet comparator to check the length. Do I need to check each one or is this a bad habit that needs to stop? :wacko:

I can see the sense in checking, but each one? :blink:

Regards,Sprags

ok if you are checking oal with vernier its very bad habit to check each one

or

if you are using a comparator boss then it not so bad but still a waist of time

if you are checking each then adjusting the seating depth then this is very very bad because each bullet tip can vary a lot but each area of bullet that engages the rifling doesnt vary that much.........

so adjusting each round greatly increases/decreases internal case volume and so increases/decreases chamber pressure and velocity

set die till happy, lock off tight and leave at that

It's a senseless waste of effort. If it's too short, what is to be done? If it's long and running it into the seater doesn't change the length, what then? Gad! If I had to agonize over each cartridge like that I'd hate reloading. Do you enjoy the practice? If not, don't! Load, shoot, have fun.~Andrew

are people saying that they measure and adjust each round to give exact oal measures???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

if so you know less about reloading than you think you know and potentually its dangerous

go sit down and do some more thinking about it

absolute wast of time as been said before what are you going to do if they are wrong? you should not be altering your press for every bullet.

and if you are buy a good press.

if you are getting veering measurements then learn how to measure as if you have good equipment then i will bet you my last pond that it is you and not your equipment.

so y do your own head in as the distance from the shell holder to the bullet seater in the die is all ways going to be the same. if you do a full stroke of the press.

set it up and make sure everything is tight then run your ammo through the press.if you want measure every 10th one. but i don't even do this as they are always the same.

ATB

Colin

i have to disagree a little bit but not a lot, i personally weigh every charge to get uniform charges just for a safety point and measure length using a comparater for the same reason, its quick and easy to do as i am measuring one round whilst the scales are settling for the next charge to be weighed. yes it is a bit anal, but why do WE spend a lot of money on other decent components on/in our rifles just to bung a bullet together

why tumble it doesnt make a difference what they look like, but its all about confidence in the ammo you are using

by doing this method i have noticed that sometimes there is 2-3 thou difference in bullet length to the ogive, i dont alter any thing but its an eye opener

just my 2 cents

not on about weighing/sorting/adjusting powder throw

if you adjust each bullet seating to measure exact oal not ogive or maybe even ogive then at best ie ogive its a waste of time or worst ie oal its dangerous and you need to go think about it some more

no digs meant at anyone person, just this has been covered before

your seater die doesnt push directly on the tip of the bullet but does push closer to the ogive

therefore because of differences in bullet lengths due to their design the internal volume of the case, even if oal is different on each, will be the same

lets think about that a mo..........

put two bullets, same batch, same type with say ballistic tip for example (or hollow point) side by side pointing up on a flat suface, sometimes their oal is so different you can see it by the naked eye

both bullets weigh the same, or as good as it gets but one is slightly longer than the other

so if you seat both bullets to give exact oal then both cases now have different internal volume which will have a greater effect on pressure and velocity than the differnce would be if the two bullets seated at the same ogive

meaning that, although it would appear, by measuring oal, that they different jumps to lands actual jump to ogive wouldnt vary anywhere near as much so the vel/pressure are the same and give consitant loads

as said, adjusting each round to give same oal will dramaticly increase/decrease pressure/vel

Guest Sprags
if you adjust each bullet seating to measure exact oal not ogive or maybe even ogive then at best ie ogive its a waste of time or worst ie oal its dangerous and you need to go think about it some more

Once again, I adjust nothing, I measure, thats all. . . . . . . . . .

Guest Sprags
do you wish you had never asked spraggs

Yes Spud I do, it's situations like this that make you think twice before posting anything...........

in conclusion: to this thread, it's not necessary to measure every single round but you can if you want.

NUFF SAID

havent had much time to do any reloading latly, however i usuall just load up a batch then half way though pick 3 or 4 at random and check.

However what i havent heard mentioned yet is that when i seat a bullet, i drop the cylinder, spin the bullet 90 degrees in the shell holder then push it back into the seater, i feel thst checks concentricity, maybe not, but as Spud quite rightly said, it gives an underlaying confidence that everything is put together properly!

(just a warning if anyone starts spinning the case in the shell holder.... WATCH YOUR FINGERS.... trust me it hurts!)

Guest Sprags
However what i havent heard mentioned yet is that when i seat a bullet, i drop the cylinder, spin the bullet 90 degrees in the shell holder then push it back into the seater, i feel thst checks concentricity, maybe not, but as Spud quite rightly said, it gives an underlaying confidence that everything is put together properly!

(just a warning if anyone starts spinning the case in the shell holder.... WATCH YOUR FINGERS.... trust me it hurts!)

I do exactly the same Shrek, and I know what you mean about your fingers! ;)

one could easily read that as a bit rude

no offence meant, just an observation betwean me and spaggers

Archived