7x57 Loads

Finman

interesting info! I have been reading a few stuff by John Burger, Peter Kapstick and W. Bell, and they all speak of these calibres with which they seemed to be able to drop animals at distances up to 200-300 yards and, I presume, with open sights. Were it not for their reputation, I would find it very hard to believe them...

Finman

The Westley Richards I mentioned was used on wapiti (some no doubt >800lbs on the hoof) and -many- large reds and it had a reputation for levelling them. Killed way out proportion to the velocity so maybe there's something to that "big heavy slugs" approach. Think they were roughly 250 grainers.

Chris-NZ

Killed way out proportion to the velocity so maybe there's something to that "big heavy slugs" approach. Think they were roughly 250 grainers.

Chris,

there's one of the American gun writers in 'Rifle' and 'Handloader' magazines, probably John Barnses, who has written a great deal on this, in his case using 9.3mm bullets at I think 2,300 fps.

He and John Sisk put a wildcat together called the 9.3BS for the hell of it. I can't remember now what the base case was, but the object of the exercise (apart from having your own wildcat and BS-ing about it!) was not extra fps, but matching the classic late 19th / early 20th European 9.3s' ballistics with a shorter cartridge suited to a standard American magnum action and magazine.

Laurie

It was based on the .350 Rem Mag case Laurie which is within 2grs of the 9.3x62 case capacity. They achieved velocities comparable to the classic 9.3 out of their 21 and 22" barrels.

They are convinced it's an efficient cartridge for a light short-actioned rifle that would more than make a large grizzly cough.

Chris-NZ

The Westley Richards I mentioned was used on wapiti (some no doubt >800lbs on the hoof) and -many- large reds and it had a reputation for levelling them. Killed way out proportion to the velocity so maybe there's something to that "big heavy slugs" approach. Think they were roughly 250 grainers.

Chris-NZ

Hi guys,

That's a lot of great reading in this thread. Quite a lot of old stuff that will be captured for the life of the internet (or at least the UKV servers and backups).

Sounds like the 318 nitro is very similar to a 338-06. A 30-06 based case necked up another third of an inch or so and loaded with heavy bullets. The 338-06 looks like it runs 250's normally with 220's up to 300's available I think. It has a reputation as being an incredible elk cartridge, even though it doesn't have the velocity of the 338 win mag. If I were to build a 338, that's probably where I'd go with it.

Thanks,

Rick

• 4 months later...

good morning chaps,

thought I'd update you on the development of this rifle. It now wears a MacMillan Sako Classic stock and has been bedded by Mike Norris. With work and all else that has been happening I didn't have as much opportunity to go out and test it much, but had the chance last Sunday. Here she is in her current guise

DSC00495.jpg

It wears a fixed 8x56 Swarovski, which makes load testing interesting! I tried a few loads and realised that it likes (as it would be normal for a low pressure round) moderate loads with all types of bullets

140gn Sierra Prohunter, 49.5gn RL19, CCIBR2, 10thou off the lands

DSC00502.jpg

150gn Sierra GMK, 47gn RL19, CCIBR2, 10thou off the lands

DSC00501.jpg

and shows promise for a load with N160

150gn Sierra GMK, 48gn N160, CCIBR2, 10thou off the lands

DSC00503.jpg

Next I shall increase the load on the N160 and perhaps test it again with Fed210M or Rem9.5. She is coming on well and I am well pleased on how well it sits on the shoulder and how mild the recoil is, particularly when shot with the Jet-Z on the muzzle. All groups were shot from the car bonnet, on a Dog-gone-good bag. When I go out next, I shall have the chrono with too!

best wishes,

Finman

Sweet rig! (It still fuddles me how you guys can tolerate such big glass, but...) I dug my mannlicher stocked 7x57 out last week to test some Privi-P brass & 140 grain PSP boat tail bullets; Just in time to break my right hand and end up with a cast! Wouldn't you know it?

I bought 1000 of these bullets and really have no worries; the accuracy of the 7x57 seems to carry throughout all brands of bullets. At least, there have never been horrible groups! Somewhere in my junk I have two boxes of Remington 175 grain round nose bullets for the 7x57. I think an elk hit with this bullet would get a serious lesson in sectional density.

It is nice to see your rig up and running. It certainly lacks nothing for accuracy!~Andrew

Sweet rig! (It still fuddles me how you guys can tolerate such big glass, but...) I dug my mannlicher stocked 7x57 out last week to test some Privi-P brass & 140 grain PSP boat tail bullets; Just in time to break my right hand and end up with a cast! Wouldn't you know it?

I bought 1000 of these bullets and really have no worries; the accuracy of the 7x57 seems to carry throughout all brands of bullets. At least, there have never been horrible groups! Somewhere in my junk I have two boxes of Remington 175 grain round nose bullets for the 7x57. I think an elk hit with this bullet would get a serious lesson in sectional density.

It is nice to see your rig up and running. It certainly lacks nothing for accuracy!~Andrew

Good evening Andrew,

the glass was bought with the African plains and the english woods at dusk and dawn in mind, lets hope it proves to be the right choice.

My tests with factory ammo (Remington 140gn Interlocks) showed a consistent 1 inch grouping, perhaps a bit more. Not shabby at all, but I think it is loaded for ex-military actions and therefore does only about 2400fps. I am hoping that I can get my 150gn around 2600-2700fps with no loss in accuracy. Next time I should shoot all this through a chronograph.

175gn roundnoses was Karamojo Bell's pet load for buffalo and elephant, so I am sure that the elk would not be any problem! you guys have such a selection over there... I have not been able to put my hands on anything other than them factory remingtons, and with the trip to Africa planned for late May, I shall better hurry up and find a reliable load to take away!

best wishes,

Finman

Yeah, we do have a bit of a selection. I am surprised that you are saddled with factory Remington ammo. You'd think there would be other brands dripping from UK supplier shelves. Shoots well, though, eh?

The US version of the 7x57 is downloaded for the 1893-95 Mauser and of more consequence, the Remington Rolling Block single shot of 1902. For years the 175 grain, 2400 fps load was all you could get but it was a dammed good load when used correctly.

If taken to modern pressures, in a modern rifle, it leaves little to want from a 280. My brother has killed hundreds of deer with his using 145 grain bullets at 2600 fps. My future son-in-law got his first deer using that rifle (borrowed; the first time ever that my brother let it out of his hands) and the same load. I recently found a 1901 Steyr small ring Model 98 Mauser sporter in 7x57 with a great barrel that I will dandy up a bit for the new Son. Next fall we will all be hunting with 7x57's. ~Muir

Yeah, we do have a bit of a selection. I am surprised that you are saddled with factory Remington ammo. You'd think there would be other brands dripping from UK supplier shelves. Shoots well, though, eh?

The US version of the 7x57 is downloaded for the 1893-95 Mauser and of more consequence, the Remington Rolling Block single shot of 1902. For years the 175 grain, 2400 fps load was all you could get but it was a dammed good load when used correctly.

If taken to modern pressures, in a modern rifle, it leaves little to want from a 280. My brother has killed hundreds of deer with his using 145 grain bullets at 2600 fps. My future son-in-law got his first deer using that rifle (borrowed; the first time ever that my brother let it out of his hands) and the same load. I recently found a 1901 Steyr small ring Model 98 Mauser sporter in 7x57 with a great barrel that I will dandy up a bit for the new Son. Next fall we will all be hunting with 7x57's. ~Muir

hi Andrew,

not so much saddled, but when I asked my local gunsmith what sort of 7x57 ammo he can put his hands on, Remington was the only choice. I am sure there is RWS somewhere as well, but I have yet to locate someone who can get it for me.

Can't agree with you more with reference to the .280Rem. I think that the 7x57 was forgotten in the search for faster rounds, yet, I am sure it is a reliable and proven performer on most game we are likely to encounter. The trip to Africa will put it to (my) test. A whole family hunting with the 7x57... well, you are lucky my friend <_<

best wishes,

Finman

• 1 month later...

r macleod of tain stock rws i have a sako trgs with a border cut barrel and a mc millan stock in 7x 57 shoots rws 123 grn with good results and 3000 fps with little recoil. also likes fedral 140 premium but rws for me

• 1 month later...

Hi there Chaps,

a bit of an update on the rifle: After a period of testing I decided on two loads:

- 47.8gn RL19, CCIBR2, 140 Sierra GMK

and

- 47gn RL19, CCIBR2, 150gn Sierra GMK

both were doing around 2550fps out of my gun and shot groups around .5" or less, so I was happy. Loaded 140 rounds of the first load and off I trotted to Africa with two dear friends from this forum (Zaitsev-AKA 'hog boy- and 'Ratwhiskers'- AKA 'yorkshire monkey spanker.' Both AKAs will become clear from their stories I am sure!).

We had a belting 8 days culling springbok, gemsbok and warthog, accounting for 74 animals between us. The rifle performed exceptionally well, all the animals (apart from the warthogs) had to be head/neck shot as a condition of the cull and I managed a 292yrd headshot and a 274yrd neckshot

274yrdEwe.jpg

biggest animal I shot was a gemsbok at 167yrds, headshot

IMG_0378.jpg

If I were to change one thing it would be the choice of bullet. Perhaps a 139gn Hornady Interlock would have been a better choice, as the GMK did tend to fragment completely. But, then again, in the words of a Sierra technician responding to a client: 'at which point in the animal's death did the bullet fail?'. I only had a (monster) warthog go about 300yrds before expiring from a neck/lung shot.

to say that I am delighted with the rifle and its performance will be an understatement. Its balance and accuracy made shooting it a pleasure (took a monkey, a springbok and a warthog with off hand shots, the springbok at 194 yrds and the monkey at 140), I had to beat the PHs with a stick to get it off their hands. All credit to Mike Norris for the work on the rifle.

Before the trip I changed the 8x56 Swarovski with a 2.5-10x56 S&B Zenith and how pleased I was with that decision I cannot tell you. All in all, an excellent combination of rifle and load and a hell of a trip!

best wishes,

Finman

PS: an interesting finding that I came across whilst load developing was from shooting some factory RWS 7mm Mauser ammo, loaded with a 175gn bullet. Whilst I could not get more than 2550-2570fps (with 140 and 150gn bullets) out of my handloads before getting pressure signs, the factory RWS was giving 2770fps with a much heavier bullet and no pressure signs...Wish I knew what powder they're using!

Archived