Rifle/Scope weight

For stalking you need an accurate light rifle, at least at some stage

when one gets a bit older and fitness drops.

I recently threw a light 6x42 scope with light mounts on my custom sako that

also has a carbon stock. This morning I also opted to leave bipod, jacket and

moderator in the car before we marched for 2 hours up the hill, down again with

sika over the shoulder. I don't want a heavy rifle.

To save weight one must look at all components. All components

weight when finished on the rifle.

Last year I made a stock for my friends howa 270wsm that weighed

812 grams and that was bedded, buttpad fitted, studs and duracoated.

The "light" american composite stock that came off weighed 1.3 kg.

The weight difference was as much as a scope weighs. His rifle with a fairly light

scope is is really handy for the hill although a fluted LW 1450 (heavy magnum sporter)

barrel is fitted.

If you are thinking of shaving weight off your rifle I would suggest the following.

1) see how short you can go with the varmint barrel and chop.

2) get a dedicated stalking scope and mounts only for stalking.

3) Weigh your laminate stock and see what you could save with

an aftermarket ultralight. But beware, some ultralights become

heavy with wrong bedding materials , steel pillars and heavy buttpads.

4) If you need a mod, check , big differences in weight.

edi

Thanks Edi, the stock is around 2 1/2 pounds i think (do not do kilos ;) ) i was thinking of a barrel chop down to 18 inches and a lighter scope (Mamba at the minute, its ok on lower mag but milky on full and very heavy).

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

guess again, you could save about 11 OZ on the stock and if you opt

for a light scope around 14 OZ like a 3-9x50 Leupold or 4-12x50 AV swarovski

which would be a good compromise for performance and weight. That should be lighter

than what you have.

What caliber is your rifle?

Roedale mills the sides off the action of his tactical or lightweight Howas. Saves a few OZ and gets rid of the

engraved name. (Howas must be rebadged if sold as tactical rifles.)

edi

Just wondering how heavy the setup is you are all using for stalking? I have a varmint laminate Howa that i am happy with but so far i have been lying down shooting targets not walking miles looking for deer!

Cheers

The path to happiness with a heavy rifle on the Hill is in Biathlon straps. Wear the rifle like a rucksack and you won't notice the weight at all.

Guest varmartin

another tip.....only carry whats essential ....

Choose a large caliber ...a .308 is lighter than a .243....mmmmm but the ammo isn`t...not sure about that one ..LOL :lol:

I`m another stubborn one ...I take way to much stuff out on the hill...

My stalking rifles, I have a few, the lightest is about 10 lbs, the heaviest about 13lbs, I carry using biathalon straps, nice and easy on the shoulders and leaves hands free for sticks and dragging stuff home.

No problem with fitness (so far), no doubt in a few years I may build a light rifle, untill then I am happy to troll up hill and down dale with the equipment I have.

My stalking, well some is woodland, some is open hill with VERY steep ascents and some sitka forest.

So guys, which are the best Biathlon style straps?

Been thinking about these for a while as my main set up is around 14 lbs all up but it inspires confidence so the weight is "good to go".

Anybody put side facing sling studs like on AI etc on a HS stock so the gun will sit flat on your back?

Biathalon slings have two straps that attach to one point at either end.

This enable you to carry the rifle on your back like a rucksac and the straps ajust to length / tightness.

My own have quick release fastners that allow you to get the rifle off your back quickly if necessary, but in reality, its just as easy to slip it off your shoulders one strap at a time.

Have a look at the Sporting Services website in the accessories section for two styles of sling - they are about £50.

One downside to the slings is they use a big spring loaded fastener instead which can make them a little noisy if you dont quiet them with tape.

HS stock, side studs / flush cups.

you can fit them, but the fill material on these stocks can be sometimes a bit less dense - especially in the butt.

You may have to fit an ally reinforcing plate to screw the cup to (and epoxy) to get a strong secure fixing.

(I stress MAY)

An alternative to buying a biathlon type sling is just to clip a webbing luggage strap (the ones they throw in with sports bags etc) onto your sling swivels and normal sling. For me this works fine when needing to walk out on heather moorland for early mornings or sitting out for pests.

For a light stalking rifle I use an 18" barrel 7mm08 with a 3-10x42 scope and a bansner mountain stock. Will try and post some pictures up later and also weigh the set up. It is light and a joy to carry after lugging heavy rifles about!!

Cheers NW

So guys, which are the best Biathlon style straps?

Been thinking about these for a while as my main set up is around 14 lbs all up but it inspires confidence so the weight is "good to go".

Anybody put side facing sling studs like on AI etc on a HS stock so the gun will sit flat on your back?

I use a Niggeloh and the rifle sits flat on my back with the standard studs. Comfortable and reliable with good quick release system.

Pete.

Archived