Bushnell Trophy Trail Camera

I've been using a Wildview Trail camera for a couple of years now which has served me well, I've had some great photos with it, but with looking at the choices that are available now, I decided to upgrade to something more up to date.

The downsides to my wildview camera were a very poor trigger time (no good for using on trails, only on bait stations), poor internal battery life, so I had to use an external battery (more to carry and to hide on location), and that it was a flash model (good for colour night time pics, but not good for security, and it seemed to spook some of the animals.

So in choosing a new camera, I was looking for something with the following criteria.....

Fast trigger time

Good battery life on internal batteries

Infared flash

Day & Night Video Option

Easy to use & set up

So after looking at a lot of websites from accross the pond (more choice there) and reading countless reviews, I finally decided on the Bushnell Trophy cam. This camera is identical (apart from shape) to the Scoutguard and DLC Covert Cameras (all made in the same factory in China) But I went for the Bushnell because they offer a 2 year warranty.

I purchased the camera from here..

http://www.trailcampro.com/bushnelltrophycamreview.aspx

A very good company to deal with, as it offers unbiased reviews on most of the cameras available today and very fast delivery times (I ordered on a Monday, camera arrived on the Wednesday!!!!!)

The first thing that struck me about the camera was its size, very small!!!!! So easy to carry around and to hide on location.

Here it is compared to my Wildview

IMG_3368.jpg

And in the palm of my hand

IMG_3371.jpg

The camera is easy to set up by navigating through the menu on the lcd screen and buttons on the inside of the the camera, it offers 3 or 5 mega pixel photos, video mode, adjustable sensitivity, adjustable video length, timer option, sd card formatting, continuous photo shooting (up to 3 photos per trigger) and adjustable 'time out' between triggers.

IMG_3370.jpg

I tried the different functions on the camera at home before setting it up, and was very impressed with the photo and video quality. The only problem I found was that with night time photos, the shutter speed seems to be a bit slow,causing the subject to be blurred if it is moving quickly. This was not a problem for me, as I would be using it mostly in video mode.

The camera can take 4 or 8 AA batteries, and with using 8 batteries, it is claimed that they will last for up to a year if lithium batteries are used, and up to 6-8 months on good quality alkaline batteries. Im using alkalines in mine and all I can say so far is that after 2 weeks, the battery life indicator is still showing full! Another good thing is that when its time to change batteries, is that the top 4 can be changed first, then the bottom 4, and in doing so, your settings aren't lost.

This is what I've had so far (sorry, no photos as I've only had it set up in video mode)

th_IM000002.jpg

th_IM000005.jpg

th_IM000012.jpg

th_IM000013.jpg

th_IM000001.jpg

th_IM000007.jpg

Cheers

Jinks.

You can see a slight red glow off the illuminator at night when its activated, but only if you're looking straight at it. I think some of the Reconyx models an a few others have a totally invisible illuminator, but you pay a lot more.

Cheers,

Jinks

looking good jinksy

did you use baits fior the camera?

I used a bit of dried dog food sprinkled on the ground for the fox videos, the camera is set up on a run, but I wanted to keep things in frame for a bit longer.

Cheers,

Jinks

Looks great for the money. What does it cost for shipping and did you get cought for the Taes??

It cost me £170 with shipping and import duty, thought I'd got away with it when the camera turned up, only to get a bill in the post a few days later :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How covert are these cameras in the daytime? If you hide them up are they easily detected? Any noise/light given off them in daytime?

Having a hell of a job with mountain bikers at the moment, was thinking if I could identify them when getting over a gate onto an out of bound area I could get some action against them....

Amazed at the quality of pictures anybody stock them in the UK?

Regards NW

• 8 months later...

Just found this topic - and wanted to add in some results off grounds where I shoot.

I use a ScoutGuard and find it provides good quality stills and video, both during the day and at night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ScoutGuard-SG550-Trail...=item3f00cd1d2b

Have a look at these fellows - and you will understand how having an accurate idea of what is moving (& when) can really improve your 'hit rate'. Kind of important if you are offering commercial shooting opportunities!

Rgds

Ian

RoeandBoar.jpg

visitor.jpg

uglyspecimen640x480.jpg

....and a few more filmstars:

post-587-1277904204_thumb.jpg

post-587-1277904226_thumb.jpg

post-587-1277904263_thumb.jpg

post-587-1277904282_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived