removable bipod mount?

I've used Harris bipods for years, but with occasional exceptions i don't like rifle shoulder slings: they get in the way, add weight, I prefer to carry a rifle over my shoulder, and most irksome of all when shooting from a bench the standard sling-swivel front stud impedes a smooth recoil off the bags.

I know there's a range of different adaptors to fit Harris onto various rifles in various ways; is there something that will enable me to have a completely snag-free rifle forearm, but still snap a Harris on and off instantly - ?

Thanks, TonyH

I've used Harris bipods for years, but with occasional exceptions i don't like rifle shoulder slings: they get in the way, add weight, I prefer to carry a rifle over my shoulder, and most irksome of all when shooting from a bench the standard sling-swivel front stud impedes a smooth recoil off the bags.

I know there's a range of different adaptors to fit Harris onto various rifles in various ways; is there something that will enable me to have a completely snag-free rifle forearm, but still snap a Harris on and off instantly - ?

Thanks, TonyH

The only thing that springs to mind is to inlet an Anschutz type rail in to the forend.

It you could live with a VersaPod type bipod as opposed to Harris then you could go with a spigot mount.

Cheers

Tony

The only thing that springs to mind is to inlet an Anschutz type rail in to the forend.

It you could live with a VersaPod type bipod as opposed to Harris then you could go with a spigot mount.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. I don't know what a VersaPod is, or a spigot mount, but will investigate.

Cheers, TonyH

Do a search for. " millet flush cup sling swivels"

Now that is interesting - will investigate further. Mark, thanks, I'd already found the VersaPod site, good range of bipods and I think I see the adpator you mean.

One of these options might be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks chaps - Tony

Hi Pat,

I dont know how popular the versa-pod is over your way but i am in a minority over here, amongst my mates i am the only one using a versa-pod, they all use them twangy pressed steel harris thingys.

Anyone with any kind of mechanical savvy can see that the versa-pod is far superior.

Ian.

Well, my post has produced some valuable tips about combining a smooth forearm while retaining bipod capability (and thanks to Chris in NZ for a further tip) and it also introduced me to VersaPod, nice to be aware of an alternative to Harris. I do admire Harris's ruggedness, never had one fail on me, but the VP has its attractions such as the quick-detach feature. They are available in UK, and there's at least one new one (sort of like the standard Harris 9"-12") going on Eb*y for £60. I might investigate the possibility of fitting the front spigot system to my Rem700, sounds quite a neat alternative to clipping a Harris onto the front stud.

Thanks for your input, chaps. TonyH

Hi Guys,

How does the front spigot mount to the gun? Do you have to drill the stock I'm guessing?

They seem interesting to me. I have a rock mount (harris copy) in the 13" and I want a longer one. I'd consider a versapod with a couple mounts if they are lighter and more versatile than what I have now.

Thanks

Rick

With my first Versa pod purchase I didnt recognize that a cant lock was needed.

That is/was my only regret to my purchase.....but it didnt take much to figure out

how to adapt mine and make a cant lock for it.

A simple trip to the hardware store for a 1/4-20 threaded hand knob,drill and tap a hole

in the side of sleeve and grind a small notch on the mount spigot.

20 mins of fab work...maybe?

I had the exact same experience as you Pat, regarding the cant lock, hadn't thought of your fix :lol:

Great bipods, but as Panther 308 said go for the pan, tilt & cant lock option.

Steve

Archived