.270 win

davo

Mate of mine has got himself the above calibre, he's tried some recommended factory 100gr rounds but is having real problems with consistent accuracy or should I say total lack of, he can shoot very well so it's probably not him, he doesn't reload but he's so frustrated he wants to invest in some dies etc so I can do some for him, any body give me some recommendations for a good powder and bullet weight to get him going, and if any body's selling .270 dies or other related items give me a shout please.

Should have said, .270 Winchester not the .270 wsm.

Thanks.

Mark.

I use 51grains of N160 in my .270 with either a 130grn Combined tech BT or a 130grn Nosler accubond.

These are running at about 2900-2950 fps, this is a mild load you could go hotter but this was very accurate in my Sako so I have stuck with it.

I use this for everything but, a mate of mine swears by 110grn Barnes TSX, 56 grns of 4350, at 3200-3250.

Thats min load too, max is 59grains .

We both use Norma brass.

ATB

Moses

Davo,

My first rifle was a 270W back in the '70s and I've still got it. It only comes out of the cabinet a couple of times per year, for practice/zeroing and a the occasional stalk particularly if there are Fallow around.

My handload is the Jack O'Connor one of a 130gn Nosler Partition over 60 gns H4831 for about 2950 fps, printing about 1" at 100 yds. Usual disclaimer.

Peter

Used 270 extensively before I moved to other things - 130 and 140 grainers worked best for me.

100 IMHO is too light.

63g Vit 160 (I recall, it was a long time ago) under a 130g bullet was nice and my "optimum" load for Deer at the time.

Again work up to this please.

Below is the load I have used in my Carl Gustaf .270 for the last few years.

Originally I used the Speer SPBT 130gr bullet but they went out of stock so I tried these Hornady 140gr Spirepoint boattails instead.

They printed on the target about one-inch higher than the 130grainers.

On all Deer species from Reds downwards they work well with acceptable carcase damage.

Norma brass, 52gr Viht. N160, Remington standard primer and Hornady 140gr Spirepoint or Speer 130gr SPBT bullets.

This rifle also shoots very well with the factory Norma 150gr ammo., the test group with the rifle was a ragged hole using the Norma ammo.

HWH.

140gHorn002.jpg

Mark,

any chance it's the rifle setup and not so much the ammo?

The bigger the bang the more important that all is tight and maybe bedded.

edi

Edi, it's possible it could be the rifle it was second hand and I think it's a good age, not actually seen it yet myself, but the guy is an estate manager and is a very experienced shooter so I don't think he would buy a lemon so to speak but it is a possibility, it's something I was going to put to him before he goes through the expense of setting up to reload, got to be worth checking it out, thanks.

Mark.

I've been playing with a Sako L61R .270 for one of my duckshooting mates. It's a classic example of a nice gun that's been ruined by ignorance and neglect. It's obviously been put away wet and the muzzle is badly pitted with the matching bore damage revealed by the borescope. He once loaned it to a "mate" who returned it broken in half through the pistolgrip and the w**ker didn't even offer to pay for repairs.

I've fitted a spare VX-II and will shoot it this weekend. If it's as inaccurate as the bore damage suggests, I'll make him an offer for the action :)

Chris-NZ

Chris you are harsh,

poor chap possibly had a ruined hunt because the damn thing wasn't fit for purpose.

What was he doing with it anyway? driving in fence posts?

Nice very light weight action if it is similar to the L579.

edi

The picture below is showing a Sako Finnbear rifle which I used for many years.

It was in 7mm Rem.Mag. calibre so I don`t know if it would be classed as a light-weight action.

It had an excellent trigger which never was any bother.

[For the sake of critical purists the hunt is over and the rifle is unloaded ! The real work is now about to start.]

HWH.

DSC_0125.jpg

Well, as the borescope suggested, the bore's stuffed on the L61R. Here's a sample group fired yesterday at 100yds. Only shame is it wasn't worse, else he might have considered an offer for the action ;) Still minute-of-deer at 200yds I guess.

While the gear was set up, tried out the kids' Rem SPS .223 sporter. I'd had some unexpected misses on goats the previous weekend so needed checking out. Using bulk 50gr SPs tossed together in X-died cases, it's scarily accurate for a bog-std factory gun. I didn't even think I was firing good shots but here's the only two groups fired

Ignore the other shots - they were my mate wasting ammo later with a 10-22..

Chris-NZ

Archived