260 calibre

SteveB

Yes it will work on boar...but there are much better calibers for boar. Personally I'd prefer to have too much gun, not too little when shooing things that can seriously hurt/kill you when wounded. Also I think there is suggested min of .270 for boar here, like wild goat.

As Tiff said I'm sure I read it somewhere that the suggested minimum calibre in the UK is 270.

There must be a reson behind it. Think I will stick with my 308 if ever the chance comes up for boar.

A .260 is definitely adequate.

Of the serious pig hunters here that carry guns (most pigs are stuck), the vast majority use a .44Mag lever gun and a .260 has way more grunt than that (if you'll excuse the pun)

Chris-NZ

If you are moving to France one of the regulations I know of is that you may not own any calibre that is an issued military calibre.

So as I understand it 308 (7.62x51), is out.

.260 will work, I would prefer something heavier.

I know quite a few guys who shoot boar in the Alcase region in eastern France, they use in the main double rifles and 9.3x74, 375HH and similar heavyweights.

Having 200+ lbs of angry boar running at me would make me want a big bore..

One could always use 12bore and solids (if you have the right shotgun)

The best way to find out is to go into thick cover with a 260 after one has winged the damn thing with a 260.

You'll this two times, the first and last time.

260 is ok for a high seat on boar and let others do the tracking.

edi

Archived