What slings do you use for your rifle?

As it says really, i am now looking for a new sling and i was wondering what members used on the forum.

I use a Niggeloh on one rifle and two Butler Creek comfort stretch slings on the others. I only use them as a means of carrying the rifle rather than a shooting aid, the Butler Creeks are very good at this as they take a lot of the weight of your shoulder.

I also have buttlers and also uncle Mikes slings , their comfortable having that bit of stretch and easy to dry when they get a soaking , I had a leather one on one of my rifles once,never again , it had split on the swivels and didnt see it ,just managed to catch the rifle as it snapped,

ATB Andy

Go to a decent surplus store and for £10 you can make any number of excellent slings, using whichever rifle fixing you like. My latest is made from 2" rubber stitched 1000 lbs break strain webbing. This webbing is great because it is never going to stretch/snap and is really really tactical and for use of a better word 'grippy'.

Ive had a ruck sling for a couple of years now and they are the future. Even a heavy rifle sits in the centre of the back.

Ads

Ive had a ruck sling for a couple of years now and they are the future. Even a heavy rifle sits in the centre of the back.

Ads

Are they not a pain to get off if you suddenly come accross a target of opportunity?.

A

I use one of these for when Im up in the mountains..It has a hydration bottle in it and plenty of room for lunch and a small first aid kit...I have a bisley leather sling on the gun aswell for when I get close to the deer I can take the rifle out of the back pack and throw it on the shoulder.

minime%20walking.jpg

Why not try a horse rein, tied with leather thonging? Because they are used in all weathers reins are very grippy and will not slip off your shoulder.

AI Biathlon slings, very useful, quite, strong and enables you to have hands free if you take a tumble.

I use a normal leather sling for wandering about in the woods, and use a Niggeloh when there's a lot of crawling or arduous climbing to be done and it's handy to be hands free, a rucksling with quick release buckles on each strap allows rapid access to the weapon in a moment, can also be used with both straps on the one shoulder.

Pete.

Are they not a pain to get off if you suddenly come accross a target of opportunity?.

A

No not at all. Infact i would say its about the same as a normal sling. You just slip off one shoulder and swing the rifle round. Its got to be the most comfy way to carry a rifle ive seen. Specialy if its a heavy barreled jobby.

Ads

Uncle Mikes nylon here for the most part. It is the standard nylon webbing for the straps and the shoulder pad is wide and thick cordura with a strip of 'sticky' something or another down the middle. A great lightweight sling that doesn't move or slide.

Thanks

Rick

thanks lads i think thats covered it. What about sling swivels .

Which type do use?

That looks an excellent piece of Kit Kip - what's your honest opinion of it ?

It's a great bit of kit, your rifle is secure on your back, it take's a lot of the weight of your shoulder, and when you need to take a shot it's easy to get of your shoulder.

Cheers Kip, i was thinking about buying a new Ruck sack type sling or even one of those back packs that Dwight uses ( Mainly for deer stalking), but i think you have found the perfect bit of kit to hold the rifle in place whilst out foxing and deer stalking - looks like more money will be spent on new shooting gear :)

hi kip hows you, where abouts did you buy that as that would be perfect when i am out lamping on foot

For most purposes, I like a nice wide(2") canvas sling. I've carried my 416 (12lbs loaded) on Safari over miles and miles of Africa with no problems at all. I have a piece of kit of my own invention which holds the slung rifle steadily and neatly out of the way. The same sling is used for my 22-250 weighing 11 lbs. as well as my stalking rifles.

I've used wide leather slings in the past but found them so stiff such that they dig into my shoulder uncomfortably. Those plaited leather ones are torture with even a lightish rifle.

Picked up a heavy duty nylon belt in B&Q, put some swivel fittings on it and it seems as good as the canvas ones. Cost less than a fiver, too.

WRT sling swivels, I have had a couple of close shaves with that type where you press a button to swivel the side away to fit it to the rifle. On at least two occasions, they've come undone and allowed the rifle to fall off my shoulder. Fortunately I was able to catch it each time before it hit the ground. On another occasion the swivel let go as I was taking the (unloaded) rifle out of the car boot. I now only use the type that has a sliding bar across the top - I think they come with Sako rifles. I also like the Uncle Mikes type with the locking screw.

Peter

Archived