Something different

Here,s a pic of a rifle i finished today. Its something a bit different for us...an "f" class rifle.

The customer requested a single shot surgeon action, and a trueflite barrel. Its chambered in 6.5-.284 norma. A jewell trigger, and Adl triggerguard.

The stock is a robertson,s "f" class stock, that came un-inletted, but finished in a beautiful candy/metalflake blue. It was a crying shame.....but the router and big files had to come out.... :rolleyes:

This stock is designed to take actions such as the Bat, Barnard etc, which have their triggers on a hangar. The surgeon doesn,t as its remington footprint, so the whole action had to be set lower in the stock, which presented a few headaches. This amount of butchery, necessitated a whole refinish, but the customer wanted this anyway, so it didn,t really matter. All he wanted was the basic shape, and bag riding ability of the stock itself. The stock is finished in a 3 colour urban flectarn. All work done in-house except proof. Hope he likes it.....it caused me a couple of sleepless nights.....the ######. :lol:

DSCN1838.jpg

Here,s a pic of a rifle i finished today. Its something a bit different for us...an "f" class rifle.

The customer requested a single shot surgeon action, and a trueflite barrel. Its chambered in 6.5-.284 norma. A jewell trigger, and Adl triggerguard.

The stock is a robertson,s "f" class stock, that came un-inletted, but finished in a beautiful candy/metalflake blue. It was a crying shame.....but the router and big files had to come out.... :rolleyes:

This stock is designed to take actions such as the Bat, Barnard etc, which have their triggers on a hangar. The surgeon doesn,t as its remington footprint, so the whole action had to be set lower in the stock, which presented a few headaches. This amount of butchery, necessitated a whole refinish, but the customer wanted this anyway, so it didn,t really matter. All he wanted was the basic shape, and bag riding ability of the stock itself. The stock is finished in a 3 colour urban flectarn. All work done in-house except proof. Hope he likes it.....it caused me a couple of sleepless nights.....the ######. :lol:

DSCN1838.jpg

Thats lovely. Me just saying that is making my wallet shake with fear

Looks right from a distance :lol:

Suspect it will shoot very nicely :rolleyes:

Whilst I fully understand the calibre choice - my feeling is your customer may have been better using the full 284 or an acklied version thereof .... so he (she) can use 180 Bergers(or 176g Carterucio's)

Yep, completely agree Andy. I tried my best to talk him into a different calibre, but he has a 6.5x47 barrel on his AW, and thought this would be even better. You can only advise so far cant you ? its still a winning calibre, and the guy is an outstanding shot, so it should all come good hopefully.

John, thats a good question. Full blown custom guns such as this.....? at a very rough guess, maybe two a month, averaged out. The bread and butter work is rebarrelling fullbores, and also the semi custom remingtons, which maybe average 9-12 a month. Sold 12 in a week not long back. Add to that all the rimfires, both custom 10/22,s and also marlins [we are the uk,s biggest seller of marlin rifle,s ] and we generally dont have time to fart. My shooting has almost ceased these days. I work six days a week, roger and Sheila work seven, then folk still moan because the shop is only open 3 days a week. :rolleyes: Not complaining in the slightest.Its great to be so busy, and humbling when you consider how rough other people are having it in the recession.

my feeling is your customer may have been better using the full 284 or an acklied version thereof .... ..

Seems to be increasing interest in the 7s Andy but you need max weight to keep the recoil tolerable.

My main gunsmith/clubmate has just put a huge True-flite on his spare gun, this time chambered in straight .284.

It's their new canted land type and he's really impressed looking through the borescope. Very smooth apparently so fouling should be no issue.

cheers

Chris-NZ

He builds a mean rifle, but takes a crap photo.

Come on Dave we want bigger pics, close ups, unique angles, photo's of the rifle sitting on a cocktail cabinet next to a Olympic size swimming pool, fast cars cars in the back ground, sexy scantily clad girls with their legs positioned suggestively along the barrel (grab the girl from the chip shop), a few tall drinks (with umbrellas) and exotic locations.....I'll get me coat :rolleyes:

Seems to be increasing interest in the 7s Andy but you need max weight to keep the recoil tolerable.

My main gunsmith/clubmate has just put a huge True-flite on his spare gun, this time chambered in straight .284.

It's their new canted land type and he's really impressed looking through the borescope. Very smooth apparently so fouling should be no issue.

cheers

Chris-NZ

My own F Classer is about 20lbs withs scope - recoil is a steady push even with max loads it isnt unpleasant to shoot.

Forgot to say its a 7mm/270WSM using 180 Bergers.

I think that there straight 284 is just as good so long as you can get the "B's" running at 2900.

Beat most if not all in the wind at that speed.

I like the look of that stock :wub:

Crackiing Job Baldie , if it shoots like it looks its a winner ,well done that man .

What sort of price is the stock if you dont mind me asking?

Do you keep Uninletted in stock?

ATB Andy

Elwood...your a bad man... :) And you frequent "the hide " too much..... Roger took the pic....i dont even have a camera any more.

Nemasis...

We get the stocks via jacksons usually. The final price of that stock hasn,t yet been worked out, but it started at £800 for the stock, then it had two days work making it fit, and bedding it, then the paint job. Would not be surprised if it hasn,t almost doubled. :D

Pat, thank you for your kind words. ;)

Guest varmartin

Whilst I was at SYSS last week on my hols Dave kindly showed me this rifle and a few others he has recently built up.....

All I can say is ..WOW...they have some very nice rifles indeed !

Dave.. it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for the friendly welcome , chat and tour of the premises.... ;)

It was a shame it was only a flying visit but an enjoyable one nuntheless...

It was great to see you Martin, i only wish we hadn,t been so busy, and tea, and more general lip-flapping could have been undertaken. Next time buddy. ;)

Archived