NGO insurance

col48

well wile I'm off i have taken to doing a few things that i really should have looked in to wile i was well, but time and i could not be bothered to tell the truth.

here is some questions and answers on the NGO insurance.

http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/medi...8Insurance_.pdf

i will not be renewing after this year,as i now find this cover very inadequate for what i need.

1 if i go abroad no cover

2 if i go beating no cover

3 if i have any other insurance then the ngo is canceled.

piss pore in my opinion.

ATB

Colin

totally true col as i am a full time keeper and the ngo is the gamekeepers organisation i have no cover whats so ever as i am employed even if i go cock shooting on another estate or beating or even rough shoooting

totally true col as i am a full time keeper and the ngo is the gamekeepers organisation i have no cover whats so ever as i am employed even if i go cock shooting on another estate or beating or even rough shoooting

its a disgrace and they have had there last £ out of me

Colin

Hi all,

I use Country Cover Card Insurance, £10m Public Liability, £10m Personal Accident & £300 Hospital Benefit for Uk & Eire Country Sports. Public Liability cover in the UK, whilst participating in: Clay Pigeon or Target shooting, Rough shooting, Vermin control, Wild fowling, Rifle shooting (including stalking), Recreational activites of hunting and wildfowling (including falconry, hawking, rabbit, pigeon, game and deer), Angling (including wading), Air Gunning, Conservation, Re-enactment, Archery, Ferreting, Stalking, Shotgun and Rifle shooting. But excluding: Combat or Practical shooting, Equestrian mounted sports, Any activity carried out illegally. You get all this for £19.95 a year, you can get additional cover for Europe for £7 extra.

www.ccc3.org.uk

Check them out,

Jay.

well wile I'm off i have taken to doing a few things that i really should have looked in to wile i was well, but time and i could not be bothered to tell the truth.

here is some questions and answers on the NGO insurance.

http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/medi...8Insurance_.pdf

i will not be renewing after this year,as i now find this cover very inadequate for what i need.

1 if i go abroad no cover

2 if i go beating no cover

3 if i have any other insurance then the ngo is canceled.

piss pore in my opinion.

ATB

Colin

I brought this up on another site a while back, & was surprised at the lack of response. It's obvious that some don't read the small print, & just take Insurance out because someone recommends it, me included...!!

Cancelled my NGO membership as soon as I read the terms & conditions in one of the quarterly mags, done a bit research on the issue, & the one that suits me is off SASC's.

I've heard a few call them, but there Insurance Package takes some beating.

BJ.

Don't get me started on insurance!! There are a lot of pitfalls when it comes to insurance, NGO or otherwise, I was always interested to know how come the NGO membership and insurance package could be so cheap until I, like you, read the small print. Add to that the way that the NGO jumped on the bandwagon with Game meat hygiene courses and the hypocracy surrounding the persecution of birds of prey and other protected species (best not go into that subject) and you have a pretty poor organisation in my opinion. Back to insurance, those of you that have dog insurance should read the small print too, I recently had no end of problems with direct line, again, cheap premiums to begin with but shockingly bad service when you unfortunately come to claim. NFU cover my house contents, firearms and dog now and I am very happy with them so far. JC

I was about to renew my membership with the NGO as I've been a fervent supporter since leaving BSAC about 6 years ago.

Wasn't particularly keen on NGO's decision to run with the Deer Initiative, but this thread has brought up more issues and regretfully I won't be renewing with them.

JC, does your insurance with the NFU also cover you with most aspects of shooting with firearms and are you entirely happy with their package?

Pete.

Pete, the NFU doesn't cover me to shoot, only damage/loss/theft etc of my firearms. I have claimed twice, once when I lost a pair of binos and once when I damaged my watch, both claims were handled very well. I am covered by BASC for shooting as I have to be a member anyway in order to be in my local wildfowling club. I am covered for work by my employers insurance. Having said all this, the NFU are very flexible and you get to deal with a real person in your local office so they are always worth a ring. For example, when I got my new dog I upped the cover for vet fees from £2000 per incident to £4000 with just a phone call. JC

what i fail to understand is this.

was not this organization set up by 2 game keepers for game keepers ????

but they will not cover 1 the keeper in his work and 2 the beaters that come to help out. this is a case of forgetting what and where you come from.

I wounder how many people are aware of what that which promotes growth and vigour cover we actually have.

i think i paid £30 last renewal and i think i read the insurance costs £4 maybe they should ether put up there premium,or negotiate a new policy. one thing is for sure i will be emailing them and telling them the one and only reason for me leaving is piss pore insurance cover.

and this is the only way they will listen, if you point out to them y you are leaving.

As anyone got the terms and conditions of the other people that offer this in there joining fee. IE basc and so on.

ATB

Colin

Pete, the NFU doesn't cover me to shoot, only damage/loss/theft etc of my firearms. I have claimed twice, once when I lost a pair of binos and once when I damaged my watch, both claims were handled very well. I am covered by BASC for shooting as I have to be a member anyway in order to be in my local wildfowling club. I am covered for work by my employers insurance. Having said all this, the NFU are very flexible and you get to deal with a real person in your local office so they are always worth a ring. For example, when I got my new dog I upped the cover for vet fees from £2000 per incident to £4000 with just a phone call. JC

Cheers for that JC. Guess I'll have to start trawling around for shooting cover elsewhere. Reluctant to return to BASC but the need for adequate insurance is paramount. Already insured with NFU for vehicles, sounds like home contents and firearms cover plus vet fees might be the way to go.

Pete.

Pete, if you already have an NFU policy then they are definitly worth a call, its easy to add stuff and you still only have one D/Debit payment. I think some of my more expensive kit is listed as specific items but most shooting gear comes under general sporting equipment. If they did a 3rd party cover for shooting activities then i'm sure it would be popular, I can't stress enough how good it is to be able to talk to a real person, on a normal telephone who you know is ony ten miles away in the local market town.

Col, I think that you've hit the nail on the head with 'by keepers, for keepers'. I think they intended it to be a positive moto but what it really means is a closed shop looking after number one. I was a keeper member once as a full time stalker but it was clear that I wasn't welcome. JC

I use the NFU for Firearm and home insurance and although I have never had to make a claim before I have heard they are very good to deal with. I wasn't aware that they did dog insurance, I will have to have a look into that, but no doubt insuring seven dogs will be to expensive.

I'm also one very disappointed NGO member, I left the BASC years ago when they started insulting the NGO over the National pigeon day. I will be having a rethink about my NGO membership.

Unfortunately as with most of these organizations they start off at grass root levels with every intention of making the difference and helping the individual, until they see what's in for them, some just use it as a stepping stone to further their own importance levels, and climb the "look at me" ladder, to sum it up, it's just like politics.

You've about summed it up Ian, as a playtime keeper the NGO seemed to cover my needs but in the last couple of years the direction they seem to be pursuing seems less about representing and fighting for shooting sports as we'd liked to have them remain and more a bit about fitting in.

If I was a full timer I'm afraid their present insurance cover would be as much use as tits on a fish and would be in the hunt for something more comprehensive.

I looked at SACS and they seem to have a good package, but unsure of how widely they'd be accepted in England and Wales, and I have to admit it is becoming tiresome having to explain who and what the NGO are whenever the subject of insurance comes up on shoot days or new permissions for stalking or fox control, and don't wan't to have go through it all again as a member of SACS.

BASC seem to be universally accepted as adequate insurance by most landowners as regards shooting and I think it'll be the route I'll take even though

I can't find myself in agreement with the "jobs for the boys" and social climbing that has become all too apparent within BASC.

Feel a bit of a hypocrite but needs must and talking to others who moved to the NGO for the same reasons that most of us did, now feel that the time has come to once again vote with our feet.

Pete.

Another good thing about adding dogs to your NFU home contents insurance is that you don't have to lie about them being working dogs as the NFU charges the same premium for working dogs and pets (or at least did when I added mine). What I can't understand about the heros of all these organisations is where they find the time to hold down full time keepers jobs and still make a big name for themselves, I'd hate to be an underkeeper for an NGO bigwig, I bet they're busy!! JC

Archived